Notifications
Clear all

Should I start accutane. Desperation.

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 02/09/2019 7:58 am

I saw my dermatologist yesterday. My hormonal acne is just getting worse. I was on spironolactone 100 mg, Oracea, and generic ortho tricyclene birth control,. She switched me to 150 mg spironolactone, kept me on Oracea, and switched me to generic Beyaz birth control. She said she hopesthis will work, but if not, she wants me to consider accutane. I have heard so many horror stories about it that it scares me. I am a 44 year old mother of 3 that has become so embarrassed of my face I cannot leave the house. I had decent skin until about 7/8 months ago when my slippery acne slope began. I cannot live like this any longer and am so scared that my life is changed forever and I am in Hell. Please help. I have given up dairy, eggs, gluten, chocolate. For about a month now.

MemberMember
(@hopenew)

Posted : 02/09/2019 8:39 am

I have wondered about accutane. It would be interesting to learn what others say about it. I heard good things and bad things.

How did you know it was hormonal acne? Is there any treatment they can give you for hormones? I accutane a hormonal medication?

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 02/09/2019 8:57 am

12 minutes ago, HopeNew said:

I have wondered about accutane. It would be interesting to learn what others say about it. I heard good things and bad things.

How did you know it was hormonal acne? Is there any treatment they can give you for hormones? I accutane a hormonal medication?

My dermatologist determined it is hormonal mostly from location (jawline) and some excess hair growth along jawline. My hormone levels were normal, but she says that's not unusual because some women's bodies just become too sensitive to androgens and need them blocked. That's what spironolactone does, and beyaz birth control. Accutane I believe shuts down your sebum production to stop acne at that level. But it affects so many body parts...including the brain. I just am so desperate.

MemberMember
(@tennis123)

Posted : 02/11/2019 10:51 pm

Hey KarenM-

I feel your pain:( I am 38, my skin has been up and down my whole life. I am currently taking 200mg of spiro. I have been on this dose since May. I was pretty close to taking accutane at that point. How long have you been on spiro? Now, I'll go 3-4 months with nothing, and then get a cyst or two. It is really odd. The spiro takes time to kick in for most people. I agree that the accutane seems harsh, it is tough when we feel desperate. I would give the spiro some time. When I used to take Beyaz and spiro together my skin was amazing. The BeYaz was messing with my blood pressure, so i had to get off a few years ago. ALso, my hormone levels are normal too...my derm said the same thing.

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 02/12/2019 6:38 am

7 hours ago, tennis123 said:

Hey KarenM-

I feel your pain:( I am 38, my skin has been up and down my whole life. I am currently taking 200mg of spiro. I have been on this dose since May. I was pretty close to taking accutane at that point. How long have you been on spiro? Now, I'll go 3-4 months with nothing, and then get a cyst or two. It is really odd. The spiro takes time to kick in for most people. I agree that the accutane seems harsh, it is tough when we feel desperate. I would give the spiro some time. When I used to take Beyaz and spiro together my skin was amazing. The BeYaz was messing with my blood pressure, so i had to get off a few years ago. ALso, my hormone levels are normal too...my derm said the same thing.

I am so glad to year from someone else who is going through the same thing,  though it makes me sad that others are going through this,  too. I have seen progress over the last 3 days and am soooooo hopeful! I really appreciate your message to me. It really helps! :)

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 02/12/2019 2:21 pm

Before you go on Accutane, try Rodan and Fields! That was my last ditch effort before resorting to antibiotics and Accutane. Figured I was just buying time before resorting to antibiotics but it worked. Good luck with your acne; it is incredibly frustrating to have to find what works for us personally.

HopeNew liked