Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizzie35

Im 21 and my acne is never ending and relentless. Help me.

Hi, so I’m basically sobbing at least once a day because my skin is so horrible. I have done EVERYTHING. You name it, it’s been on my face or in my body to try and fix this mess. I’ve done accutain... TWICE (second time did nothing). I did antibiotics, I did every topical (now make my eyes swell and skin rash) I have rubbed my face with listerine and I have burnt myself with tea tree oil. I’ve clogged every poor with coconut oil, I’ve washed, I’ve scrubbed, I’ve not washed, I’ve spot-treated, I’ve dried I’ve hydrated I baught a $300 blue light. I’ve dont it all. Im so sick of being so stressed and down about looking bad all the time. Please someone. Anyone. Help me. What do I do? I’m a 21 year old woman. Normal diet, no red meat, minimal dairy, no allergies except to topicals and latex. Please help me. I’ve had acne for TEN YEARS and I’m starting to want to cut the skin from my face. 

Why not consider treatment carbon laser facial? Carbon laser facial is a laser treatment which is for skin rejuvenation, wrinkle removal and acne treatment. The treatment cost is around $50. You could pay  attention to the spas who have this treatment.

I'm sorry you are going through this.  Mentally,  it is debilitating...I know.  I am now dairy free, no eggs, lots of veggies. I don't know if cutting dairy and eggs completely would help more. I started spiro a month ago, too. And birth control pills.  Hopefully my skin will get better.  I pray yours does, as well. 

Don't despair. Accutane didn't work for me either. Really nothing did for a very long time. I did prescription pills, prescription topical, saw a dietician and vastly modified my diet, cut out dairy, chocolate, tried some hippie stuff even. Basically if someone said something worked for them I would try it out with varying levels of success. I would say accutane probably saw the best results but my eyes and mouth got so dry I couldn't handle the side effects.  Two years ago I saw something on Reddit or Amazon or something about a company called Ninja SKicnare and like I said, I was willing to try anything. What struck me, and kind of worried me actually, was that their prices were like 1/2 what I was used to paying. I thought it couldn't be that good if it was that cheap. I called them and decided to give it a try after a 1/2 hour call with them. Fast forwrd 6 months and my skin was totally clear and 2 years later I am still clear. I maybe have had like 1-2 pimples per month every since I started - that from 10 new pimples a DAY... I am loving it. So I would say to give it a try, especially since it sounds like you have tried everything else. Good LUCK and don't give UP!!!

33 minutes ago, gutskinaxis said:

No dairy, low carb, no sugar, no fodmaps, lots of water and you'll be clear.

What's fodmaps?

@KarenM

From http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet/

"FODMAPs are found in the foods we eat. FODMAPs is an acronym (abbreviation) referring to Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. These are complex names for a collection of molecules found in food, that can be poorly absorbed by some people."

Onions, garlic, lots of fruits and some veggies are high in fodmaps, which can hurt the gut and acne in excess.

Edited by gutskinaxis

Posted (edited)
On 1/31/2019 at 8:02 AM, Lizzie35 said:

Hi, so I’m basically sobbing at least once a day because my skin is so horrible. I have done EVERYTHING. You name it, it’s been on my face or in my body to try and fix this mess. I’ve done accutain... TWICE (second time did nothing). I did antibiotics, I did every topical (now make my eyes swell and skin rash) I have rubbed my face with listerine and I have burnt myself with tea tree oil. I’ve clogged every poor with coconut oil, I’ve washed, I’ve scrubbed, I’ve not washed, I’ve spot-treated, I’ve dried I’ve hydrated I baught a $300 blue light. I’ve dont it all. Im so sick of being so stressed and down about looking bad all the time. Please someone. Anyone. Help me. What do I do? I’m a 21 year old woman. Normal diet, no red meat, minimal dairy, no allergies except to topicals and latex. Please help me. I’ve had acne for TEN YEARS and I’m starting to want to cut the skin from my face. 

It really depends on your health and your comfort levels with taking drugs, but if you're up for it, I recommend Accutane. It's not without side effects (although in my honest opinion, the more severe side effects are kind of overblown, horror stories are more publicized than success stories) but it can be life changing. I recommend it also because your acne has been moderate to severe over the course of a decade. I got my first chin cysts at age 14 when I assume I began to develop PCOS and thyroid problems (both linked) and my acne only got severe after I quit college (major stressful life event) and low-estrogen birth control, which threw off my cycles and caused the worst acne of my life.

When I was in your shoes a few years ago, I tried Spiro and high-dose estrogen birth control and wow, did that only ever make my skin worse. Absolutely horrible, in fact. From taking the regular BC pill and I still have textured scarring from the lesions it gave me on my forehead years later. The salicylic acid peel I got only made the BC acne more inflamed! Lesson learned, the more you mess with your skin, the more likely it scars ... so I highly recommend no more tea tree oil, no more rubbing alcohol or Listerine or toothpaste or whatever, no more picking if you do that. It's really disappointing when acne 'treatments' go wrong, so I sympathize with you, truly. But the worst thing you can do is mess with your skin so much that it gets more irritated. 

I got a moderate but not terrible IB on Accutane that was mostly just CCs and blackheads purging and a few really painful cysts (although I was already getting cystic acne anyway), and 2 months into the treatment I began to feel a lot better about my face. Weirdly enough, I didn't fully stop getting tiny zits here and there until I was off Accutane. I've read lots of stories here and on Reddit where other users said the same thing. I was really anxious the first few months off Accutane that my acne would return, but 2 years later I have the same skin that I had right after I stopped taking it and I cleared. 

The higher the dosage, the more likely you'll experience common but irritating side effects, by the way. I stuck to a low-moderate dose over 6 months.

Edited by cloudydreamer

Lizzie 35

Did the problem start after you took antibiotics ? Do you have a white coating on your tongue ? Do you have dandruff ? If the answer to one or more of these is yes, get back to me. I can probably provide advice that will control the problem that you have on your skin.

Hi,

I hope you're holding up okay. You can do this. I promise it is temporary, even though it doesn't feel like it. I had terrible cystic acne all over my face for five years and it killed my confidence. I tried SO many things (veganism--skin got waaay worse, estroblock, DIM, vitex, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, tea tree oil, caveman, zinc, vitamin D3, and more). Now I'm 22 and I've been clear for almost a year. This is what finally worked for me.

The first useful thing I did was get a hormone test. I found out that my estradiol (e2 estrogen) was way too low, and my progesterone was pretty low as well. Finally I had a solid answer as to why my face looked the way it did. This was so important!

Diet:

I realised that my skin started getting worse when I cut out eggs and dairy from my diet. I was so confused because everyone told me dairy was the devil. I realise now that I probably wasn't giving my body enough essential fatty acids to help it produce the hormones I needed.

I had been a vegetarian for 3 years when I started eating small amounts of fish. I found that my skin improved. It improved even more when I started reducing sugar, even in the form of fruit.

Now I eat a lot more eggs, yoghurt, real butter, cream, cheese, salmon, tuna and veggies. I still eat pasta, rice, and chocolate. Just less sugar overall, less soy-based products, and less processed foods that contain inflammatory vegetable oils.

Supplements:

Along with the change in my diet, I started taking three supplements:

- Evening Primrose Oil (helps balance female hormones, particularly increasing estrogen) - 2 capsules a day

- Fish Oil (because I can't afford salmon every day) - 2 capsules a day

- Vitamin K2 melt (necessary for collagen formation. Very few foods have the bioavailable form of vitamin K2, so unless you eat liver, you're probably deficient. This stuff is also great for healthy teeth and bones) - 1 a day

I've found that I can be really relaxed with my diet now and not see a huge difference in my skin. My hormones balanced out and I lost a bit of weight without trying!

Skincare:

This regime has completely changed the texture of my skin. It's taken me so long to realise which natural ingredients break me out and which ones actually work. Now I feel confident leaving the house without makeup. Here's what helped me!

Morning:

1. Simple Hydroboost cleanser - This stuff is so gentle and never makes my skin red or tight. It's fragrance free and definitely doesn't break me out.

2. Either The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres, or The Ordinary Niacinamide +Zinc serum - I switch these out, one day vit c, the next, niacinamide

3. Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturiser for Combination Skin - Never breaks me out. I found that a lot of all-natural moisturisers used to block my pores or irritate my skin

4. ZINC SUNSCREEN! - I cannot stress this enough. I alternate between Avene and Neutrogena, depending on what's on sale. The most important thing here is that the single active ingredient is zinc, no chemical filters. Zinc calms redness and helps clear acne. I'm sure you know this already (acne sufferers have got to be some of the best researchers on the planet), but just in case you need a reminder, it's so important to use sunscreen every day if you're putting vitamin C and/or retinoids on your face!

Night time:

1. Micellar water - Remove makeup. I've found that the Garnier original one works just as well as the expensive Bioderma

2. Simple Hydroboost cleanser - Second cleanse

3. The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane - This stuff is the one thing I will not go without. It has made such a huge difference in the softness of my skin, and really gives you a glow! Whenever I do get a random spot, it heals really quickly!

4. Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturiser again

Make up:

I discovered that Isopropyl Myristearate breaks me out in little bumps, as do lots of silicones. I decided to switch to Nude Mineral Foundation (loose powder--the pressed one has extra ingredients).

This is some of the only natural makeup I could find that doesn't have coconut oil, shea butter, and strong essential oils. It doesn't break me out at all. I don't wear make up every day anymore (can't believe I can actually say that), but on days that I do, this is the only thing I put on my skin!

You will get through this. I promise you. When my acne was at its worst, I had completely lost all hope. I really hope this is at least a little bit helpful. I would highly recommend taking a hormone test and asking your doctor to make sure everything you do is safe! Good luck. You've got this.

Hi,

I hope you're holding up okay. You can do this. I promise it is temporary, even though it doesn't feel like it. I had terrible cystic acne all over my face for five years and it killed my confidence. I tried SO many things (veganism--skin got waaay worse, estroblock, DIM, vitex, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, tea tree oil, caveman, zinc, vitamin D3, and more). Now I'm 22 and I've been clear for almost a year. This is what finally worked for me.

The first useful thing I did was get a hormone test. I found out that my estradiol (e2 estrogen) was way too low, and my progesterone was pretty low as well. Finally I had a solid answer as to why my face looked the way it did. This was so important!

Diet:

I realised that my skin started getting worse when I cut out eggs and dairy from my diet. I was so confused because everyone told me dairy was the devil. It definitely varies from person to person. I realise now that I probably wasn't giving my body enough essential fatty acids to help it produce the hormones I needed.

I had been a vegetarian for 3 years when I started eating small amounts of fish. I found that my skin improved. It improved even more when I started reducing sugar, even in the form of fruit.

Now I eat a lot more eggs, yoghurt, real butter, cream, cheese, salmon, tuna and veggies. I still eat pasta, rice, and chocolate. Just less sugar overall, less soy-based products, and less processed foods that contain inflammatory vegetable oils. I try to buy only organic dairy and free range eggs from responsible farms.

Supplements:

Along with the change in my diet, I started taking three supplements:

- Evening Primrose Oil (helps balance female hormones, particularly increasing estrogen) - 2 capsules a day

- Fish Oil (because I can't afford salmon every day) - 2 capsules a day

- Vitamin K2 melt (necessary for collagen formation. Very few foods have the bioavailable form of vitamin K2, so unless you eat liver, you're probably deficient. This stuff is also great for healthy teeth and bones) - 1 a day

I've found that I can be really relaxed with my diet now and not see a huge difference in my skin. My hormones balanced out and I lost a bit of weight without trying!

Skincare:

This regime has completely changed the texture of my skin. It's taken me so long to realise which natural ingredients break me out and which ones actually work. Now I feel confident leaving the house without makeup. Here's what helped me!

Morning:

1. Simple Water Boost cleanser - This stuff is so gentle and never makes my skin red or tight. It's fragrance free and definitely doesn't break me out.

2. Either The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres, or The Ordinary Niacinamide +Zinc serum - I switch these out, one day vit c, the next, niacinamide

3. Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturiser for Combination Skin - Never breaks me out. I found that a lot of all-natural moisturisers used to block my pores or irritate my skin

4. ZINC SUNSCREEN! - I cannot stress this enough. I alternate between Avene and Neutrogena, depending on what's on sale. The most important thing here is that the single active ingredient is zinc, no chemical filters. Zinc calms redness and helps clear acne. I'm sure you know this already (acne sufferers have got to be some of the best researchers on the planet), but just in case you need a reminder, it's so important to use sunscreen every day if you're putting vitamin C and/or retinoids on your face!

Night time:

1. Micellar water - Remove makeup. I've found that the Garnier original one works just as well as the expensive Bioderma

2. Simple Water Boost cleanser - Second cleanse

3. The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane - This stuff is the one thing I will not go without. It has made such a huge difference in the softness of my skin, and really gives you a glow! Whenever I do get a random spot, it heals really quickly!

4. Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturiser again

Make up:

I discovered that Isopropyl Myristearate breaks me out in little bumps, as do lots of silicones. I decided to switch to Nude Mineral Foundation (loose powder--the pressed one has extra ingredients).

This is some of the only natural makeup I could find that doesn't have coconut oil, shea butter, and strong essential oils. It doesn't break me out at all. I don't wear make up every day anymore (can't believe I can actually say that), but on days that I do, this is the only thing I put on my skin!

You will get through this. I promise you. When my acne was at its worst, I had completely lost all hope. I really hope this is at least a little bit helpful. I would highly recommend taking a hormone test and asking your doctor to make sure everything you do is safe! Good luck. You've got this.

Edited by FinallyClear21