Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sammycat

Drained cystic pimple left behind a bump, is there pus left behind?

So I had a big cystic pimple last week. You know, the worst kind—way under the skin, doesn’t come to a head no matter how much BP you put on it, and basically impossible to pop without the help of a derm. So I did go to a derm who managed to drain the sucker. First thing he did was inject it with something to numb the area (it wasn’t a cortisone shot). Then he used a needle to open it up and drain all the pus out by applying pressure. He then put a bandage of Ichthammol ointment over it to suck out any remaining pus and told me to put this ointment for 2 days. So this was 4 days ago.

Fast forward to today: there is still a bump to where the cyst was. It’s definitely smaller and not painful at all, but I’m worried that there’s still some pus left behind. It’s not red or inflamed, but kind of like a dull fleshy-looking bump. How do I tell if it needs to be drained more? It’s so annoying as I was hoping it would be flat by now. :-(

my personal experience with these under the skin cysts is that  if they are still active, squeezing or prodding them tends to make them swell up and go red. does yours do this?

4 minutes ago, MrBakery said:

my personal experience with these under the skin cysts is that  if they are still active, squeezing or prodding them tends to make them swell up and go red. does yours do this?

Hmmm, I never thought of that! I haven’t tried squeezing it, but I’m definitely prodding and patting it a lot. It doesn’t seem to be getting bigger or redder. It just sits there like a lump under my skin. 

ive never had a cyst drained but i would of imagined the lump would  of disappear within a few days? 

your best bet might be to phone your  dermatologist and ask.