Notifications
Clear all

Freaking out

MemberMember
(@briannagettings)

Posted : 01/24/2019 11:23 pm

So I haven't been back on here since 2017 when I came to the site for advice on what to do with my very hormonal stress induced acne and with following such advice I went to see a dermatologist and she put me on Doxycycline and Spiro. I was also on another antibiotic called Mino something? She also prescribed me topicals but whatever none of that worked long term I've been on and off that stuff for 2 years now and I'm just going crazy because every time I stop taking everything, it comes back like 4 or 5 months later. Doesn't help that I have bad anxiety and pick at my face when I see acne on my face. I like to think I've been doing better with the picking; most of my scarrring healed up due to Microdermabrasion(which I recommend to anyone with minor scarring/PIE) anyway, I'm wondering for the love of god has anyone found a cure? Something I can ask my dermatologist about? This is getting to me more and more each day it's really taking a toll on my mental health I don't want to pick I don't want to break out I just wanna have a normal face and be a normal 25 year old woman that doesn't have to hide with my stupid hair I just can't live like this anymore. So a little about me, I'm a vegan, I work out and don't smoke and I drink wine because well red sweet roscato wine is the shit. And I also have bangs. So with all this being said, any one have any advice on anything that's worked for adult hormonal acne? Also I'm recently having an issue with clogged pores(ya know when it looks like little white bumps on the face) well thank you all and looking forward to any replies. :)

MemberMember
(@gutskinaxis)

Posted : 01/25/2019 12:04 am

I like that you're no dairy which eliminates a lot of issues. Being vegan is hard and I applaud you for that. How much carbs/sugar do you have a day? Are you getting enough magnesium/zinc/B vitamins?

Based on your answers I'll probably suggest a low fodmaps diet, low carb/sugar, and some supplementation

MemberMember
(@briannagettings)

Posted : 01/25/2019 12:12 am

So honestly I never really paid much attention on my cars/sugar intake. To be honest I didn't even thinkthat could be an issue since I'm vegan I guess I thought what I ate wasn't a problem lol but I do eat vegan ice cream and pizza a lot? Also I did try supplements a while back, but that did nothing. I actually just went to my local Feel Rite and bought "raw" Vitamin D supplements. Since I live in shit Buffalo I figured some Vitamin D would help with a lot of things.

MemberMember
(@gutskinaxis)

Posted : 01/25/2019 1:16 am

Carbs and sugar are the number one acne trigger, followed closely by dairy.

Try not to think of it as a restrictive diet, but rather a healing diet. Try to eat less than 100g of carbs a day to start, and reduce sugar as much as possible (especially fructose if you're consuming a lot of this).

Sometimes vegans are zinc deficient, and zinc has been shown to reduce acne pretty consistently. Maybe try taking a small amount of zinc daily (around 10mg should be safe).

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/25/2019 7:42 pm

Hi there! Chiming in as a long term Spiro user 125 mg now about 5+ years and clear. PCOS, hormonal acne etc. Sugar and dairy are the main culprit for any of my breakouts (VERY rare). Sugar actually being the worst offender. Outside of that I have a few questions/suggestions:

• Do you have a exfoliation regime? I have faithfully used MUAC (Makeup Artist Choice) Mandelic/Salcylic peels weekly to clear congested skin, help any PIH or Scars
  • Do you have hormonal acne and also other clogged pores, etc? Do you use face products with oil in it? Hair products or shampoo with oil? I ask this because I get clogged pores thesecond oil touches my face- especially olive, coconut, well basically anything clogged pores appear.
  • Have you heard of Squalane oil? I've recently introduced this into my routine and it oddly enough it has cleared any clogged pores, not made them. This entire blog is interesting and may be food for thought https://simpleskincarescience.com/squalene-squalane-oil-review-acne

Believe it or not a Pharma company out of Boston is in Stage 3 trials of a Acne Vaccine (load me up!!!) https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/09/05/acne-vaccine-healthwatch-experiment/

Also, interesting science with microbiome, probiotic angle to cure acne:

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/features/innovation-in-acne-treatment-is-long-overdue-but-the-treatment-pipeline-looks-promising/20203702.article?firstPass=false

https://labiotech.eu/videos/sbiomedic-skin-microbiome-acne/

This last article sort of ties it together.

https://www.mdedge.com/familymedicine/article/193178/acne/isotretinoin-treatment-reorganizes-dermal-microbiome-acne

Acne will be a thing of the past one day, and I can NOT wait. Sending positive vibes to you all and hope you get excited to find an end to your suffering and acne healing journey.

MemberMember
(@briannagettings)

Posted : 01/26/2019 12:17 am

I actually do exfoliate, I just use sugar and coconut oil and I don't think that my hair products contain oil. I do have hormonal acne, well that's what my dermatologist told me. And I tried Sprio but didn't stick it out cuz I got nervous about it being a blood pressure pill, should I give it another go? How long have you been on it? It really cleared you up for 5 years and still going? I just want this to be over with. I'm doing this Microdermabrasion and it seems to be slightly working for my PIE and minor scarring. I've never heard of any of the stuff you mentioned but I will definitely look into it!

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 01/26/2019 8:10 am

I am so sorry for what you are going through. The psychological effects of acne are paralyzing. I would try spiro again. Even though it is a blood pressure medication, it has proven for years to be safe and effective for adult acne treatment. I started it a month ago and hope it kicks in soon (I heard it usually takes 3 months). I also just started drinking 16 oz of celery juice 1st thing in the morning every morning. It is supposed to heal your gut and help your skin heal. I may be just overly optimistic, but I think I am already seeing some benefits from the celery juice! Fingers crossed!

JamesL liked
MemberMember
(@briannagettings)

Posted : 01/26/2019 9:07 pm

Maybe I will give Spiro another go, I don't know :( I just don't wanna keep taking these meds only to have them work while on it and then soon after I'm off acne comes back. It's been 2 years on and off with this shit and it's so draining. I just want to do something about it so it never comes back :/ just probably will have to live like this and get over it I guess. I hope you have a successful healing journey tho! :)

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 01/28/2019 9:08 pm

On 1/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, Briannagettings said:

Maybe I will give Spiro another go, I don't know :( I just don't wanna keep taking these meds only to have them work while on it and then soon after I'm off acne comes back. It's been 2 years on and off with this shit and it's so draining. I just want to do something about it so it never comes back :/ just probably will have to live like this and get over it I guess. I hope you have a successful healing journey tho! :)

I would honestly look at removing the coconut oil from your routine. Try it for a week and see if things calm down at all. I literally can not get any oil on my face or a chain reaction starts. Squalane has been the only face oil that works and is amazing! 

MemberMember
(@jamesl)

Posted : 01/28/2019 11:41 pm

Hey @Briannagettings,

im sorry you™re still dealing with acne break outs!l. Acne is quite debilitating to one™s self esteem and overall mental health (From personal experience).

I would like to suggest a couple things l, that I am sure a select few responders have mentioned. Nevertheless I™d like to elaborate!

For myself, when dealing with major break outs and acne in general. I changed my diet in entirely for around 2/3 years. I amped up my vegetable, fruit, and water intake 1000 % daily.. this altered the entire terrain of my gut and digestive system. Which allowed them both to function at optimal level. Eliminate dairy, sugar, grains, and all processed foods. Watch carb intake as it raise your sugar levels. Also, watch what you clean your face with. Pay close attention to how you clean your clothes, blankets, and pillows. As these could all irritate your face with certain detergents or dryer sheets!!! That really helped me!!!

Its a couple of tips but I hope it helps you !! :) good luck!!