Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eeisen

Transitioning off of the regimen after spironolactone?

Hi everyone! For the past 6 weeks I've been taking spironolactone for hormonal acne on my chin and it's helped a ton - I have no active pimples and it's been so long since I've had to reach for a hydrocolloid sticker to desperately try to suck out a pimple.

The reason I went on it was because I've been on the regimen for 11.5 years, and not only was I tired of this routine running my life and wanted to liberate myself from it, but it also wasn't totally effective, and my skin was getting worse - I started getting cysts in 2018 despite sticking to the regimen. I'm 26 and have PCOS, and I think this is a common experience for women with PCOS in their mid-/late-20s.

Now I want to begin transitioning off of the regimen, but I've been dependent on it for so long that I'm not sure how/am afraid of what will happen. I seriously can't remember the last time I went a day without applying the regimen steps to the affected area - it's been years. Does anyone have experience with going off of it once you're on spironolactone or another oral medication, or otherwise have ideas about what might be a good way to structure this? For example, I could begin by halving the amount of BP I use in the morning and night so that it's not such a massive and drying amount, and see if my skin stays clear. Or I could start using it only in the morning, or only a few days a week, or some combination of these, etc. Would love to hear your stories!

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes