Notifications
Clear all

Anyone increased from 50 to 100mg on Spiro? Experiences?

MemberMember
(@ambientpink)

Posted : 01/14/2019 4:39 am

I tried 3 months on 50mg of spiro for hormonal acne (I can't take the contraceptive pill) and it didn't do much to improve my acne. I've now been on 100mg for a month and am breaking out moderately in places I don't usually (upper cheeks, even my ear?)

Did anyone have this kind of breakout then clear after increased time on the increased dose? How long did it take? Thanks in advance for any replies!

MemberMember
(@lexipixie)

Posted : 01/15/2019 1:10 am

Hi ambientpink,

Yes that's exactly what happened to me! I went on 50mg, broke out all over my neck with cysts and some on my cheekswhich I don't usually get so badly. I felt immediately that my skin was less oily but it took months before I had good results. I changed from pm to am and that helped my sleep and I had another small break out when I did that. It's been about 8 months on 50mg/day and my skin looks the best it has in years. I also discovered Azclear (azelaic acid available OTC in Aus) and I think that has also hugely helped, but not alone.

I think it just takes time, but it's a wonderful help for hormonal acne suffering women if you're patient (I am truly afraid to ever come off it). I stuck with the 50mg for ages hoping I wouldnt have to increase the dosageand it gradually worked. I am not 100% clear but I'm very happy.

MemberMember
(@cocopuff8)

Posted : 01/15/2019 7:51 pm

Hi,

Stick with it! I recommend this to everyone who asks how my skin cleared up. I started with 100, but I was too lazy and sometimes didnt remember to take 50 twice a day. I started taking 50 a day and it cleared me up completely. However, I did break out at first and it took 3 months to work completely. But it was well worth it. Hope it works for you!

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 01/16/2019 9:33 am

This gives me such hope. I am taking spironolactone for almost 3 weeks and I keep saying that if I only knew for sure I'd be better in a few months, it would help me immensely. It's the notknowing if it'll stay like this forever that is killing me. Your posts in improving give me hope.

MemberMember
(@ambientpink)

Posted : 01/17/2019 4:32 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! A lot of people seem to clear after 3 months, I just hope it works for me evenutally since its been 4 now...