Notifications
Clear all

First derm appt, what are my chances of getting accutane?

MemberMember
(@shayna-nicole)

Posted : 01/13/2019 3:14 pm

I am 23, female, have had acne for 11yrs now since I was 12 and started getting moderate to severe acne at age 13 or 14. It has progressively gotten worse over the years, besides my face I also get breakouts regularly on my back and chest (more mild) and over the past year or so it has started to spread to my neck. There is never a time my face isnt breaking out. I have my first dermatologist appt. next month, and would like to ask my derm if I can be prescribed isotretinoin.

I've tried all kinds of over the counter products, changing my diet, cutting out dairy, exercising, going the all natural route, not wearing makeup, birth control.

HOWEVER I have not tried antibiotics/topical medications so what are my chance of being prescribed accutane my first visit if I ask about it? I don't feel comfortable going on antibiotics for multiple reasons,

1. being I am allergic to clindamycin and had a bad reaction.

2. I dont want to kill all my good gut bacteria.

3. I dont to waste time and money on things that might treat it just to be disappointed time and time again, I want a cure.

I have done my research and understand all the serious risks and dangers of taking accutane but the prospects of having clear skin out weigh the risks for me. 

My skin really effects my self esteem and my whole life revolves around my acne, I avoid going out with friends at times, going swimming, looking in mirrors, the list goes on...I am constantly in my head about if people are staring at my face, I use to be so outgoing and now hide in a shell and cant open up to people because of my skin.

I feel like I can never be present and in the moment because my skin is something that's always on my mind. I've had kids and the elderly people I work with tell me I have bad skin and point out my acne. I'm just done having it control my life, I want to have clear skin.

Also my skin sometimes has a couple days when it looks less bad but it almost always is pretty broken out, I'm nervous if I go in and my skin happens to not look as bad as it normally does that it will effect my chances, would it be beneficially to show my derm photos I have over the last few months/years?

The last pic is the clearest my skin has even been, only lasted 2 or 3 days.

Snapchat-2008182141.jpg

Snapchat-1770769379.jpg

Snapchat-1264766141.jpg

Snapchat-859264760.jpg

Snapchat-761132770.jpg

Snapchat-1933196171.jpg

Snapchat-2124448528.jpg

Snapchat-856390966.jpg

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 01/13/2019 4:32 pm

I am so sorry you are going through this. Self esteem is so affected with acne. I hope you get whatever it is you need from your dermatologist. I hope they see your pain and struggle and see you as a human being needing help and not just another patient. My kids tell me all the time that no matter what I am beautiful to them. I honestly don't know what I would do without them.

MemberMember
(@shayna-nicole)

Posted : 01/13/2019 7:14 pm

2 hours ago, KarenM said:

I am so sorry you are going through this. Self esteem is so affected with acne. I hope you get whatever it is you need from your dermatologist. I hope they see your pain and struggle and see you as a human being needing help and not just another patient. My kids tell me all the time that no matter what I am beautiful to them. I honestly don't know what I would do without them.

Thank you, I'm so scared that I will just get brushed off and what I want and feel about my situation won't be taken into consideration. It's nice that you have that support, I do from my boyfriend but he doesn't understand the same way as some who has experienced it, but he does his best to and I dont know what I would do without him.

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 01/13/2019 9:37 pm

Make sure you go in with all your options written down. I've found that doctor's are more apt to listen if you've done your research.

MemberMember
(@shayna-nicole)

Posted : 01/13/2019 10:17 pm

38 minutes ago, KarenM said:

Make sure you go in with all your options written down. I've found that doctor's are more apt to listen if you've done your research.

I agree, I'm hoping showing I've done my research and how badly it effect my quality of life will be enough for them to let me try accutane.