Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MillerMiles

Photo updates on journey of Hibi scrub and 20% salicylic acid peels

Hello all

I am a “new” user but I actually was part of this community around 10 years ago-I just can’t find my old log in! A bit about my acne history. I’m am currently 28 and I have suffered with acne on and off since the teenage years. I have had periods of being clear naturally and for no apparent reason but now my acne is now back starting around a year ago although I hadn’t changed my routine in anyway. I would describe my acne as mild, however, I do sometimes step over into moderate I feel. 

Over the years I feel like I have tried nearly everything. I won’t bore you with what I have tried as it’s a very long list! To cut a very long story short, I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide, I actually used it successfully for 6 months before becoming allergic, (I have tried on several occasions to test if I am still allergic and I always end up with swollen eyes and a rash on my neck, even though I don’t put it anywhere near those areas!) so for those who haven’t tried it, please do try the regimen, as I know that it works, I just can’t use it unfortunately! 

A few years ago a doctor recommended that I try hibiscrub (I believe that this is hibicleans in the USA). I did find that it helped, but I still got under the skin bumps and terrible blocked pores. Fast forward to a few months ago and  I tried professional skin peels which definitely did help but I stopped because of the cost (£45 a pop monthly!) and we are saving for a house. 

After a monster breakout recently, I decided to go back to what seemed to help-hibiscrub. I have definitely seen improvement so far after a few weeks. I then realised that the salicylic acid peels had also helped, so I have decided to combine these two treatments. I have purchased an at home 20% peel. This will be carried out weekly.

I have read up and spoken to my doctor about the risks of hibiscrub (if you are going to try this you MUST do your own research and I am not endorsing any of these products as everyone’s skin is so different, I am purely saying what works for me) so please don’t feel that you have to inform me of these risks-I am well aware of them and so is my doctor! 

I honestly find the hibiscrub is the least drying cleanser I have ever used. 

I have also read up on the salicylic acid peels and I will be introducing them gradually, after a spot test.

This post is a personal and honest experiment for me to try, and for those to follow if they are interested. I am not saying that everyone should give this a go, but feel free to follow if you are interested!

Routine-

Morning and evening-wash gently with hibiscrub and a very little amount of water so that it doesn’t drip, avoiding the eyes, ears, nose and mouth areas. Leave it on for 3 minutes. Wash off carefully. Gently moisturise lips and eye areas. Spot moisturise if needed. Introduce 20% salicylic acid peels weekly and gradually increase time left on the skin according to instructions. 

Here is the before photo of my recent breakout. I will then update after my first peel of the same area. I am hoping to stick to this experiment for at least 6 weeks to give it a chance to work. 

Thanks everyone and I wish you all well on your acne journey, whatever that may be. 

90BB46FF-3E8B-4D4D-A657-18177185749D.jpeg

Update 8th January 2019

I have definitely had some improvement with the hibi scrub. I did the first 20% salicylic peel last night. My skin reddened a bit (as can be seen still a little in the photos) but it’s calmer today and my skin feels much smoother. Only time will tell what happens in the long run! 

AD4CBCC9-3667-4DB2-B9A5-6EAD696C2FF5.png

16th January 

update after 2nd peel (used 20% on most areas and 10% on sensitive areas around mouth and chin) 

skin instantly smoother and redness and swelling of any spots reduced. I’m really happy with the progress so far, although the photos may not show this yet, I have definitely had less angry  breakouts. The spots in this photo are more like blocked pores and blackheads, which I think may be being exposed by the peels as I expected a minor clearing out/breakout. Fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks. 

6E7E84B8-FA8E-49EA-9002-F91AA5CBF440.jpeg

Day after the 3rd peel

I’m still breaking out on the right side of my face, the left side (apart from red marks) is now clear. This may be a fluke though, although I will continue to persist with the treatment! A lot of the blackheads and blocked pores that came to the surface after the first peel now seem to have gone. 

I have also included a photo of my left more clear side this time. 

8069CC9B-EC34-4FE3-A40B-04585759EE14.jpeg

F6F04055-60B4-4959-A191-856DEAB0243D.jpeg

Two days after 4th peel

328E059E-370A-4632-A1C8-79AD99026584.jpeg

0675DFAE-A58B-4085-BC05-70B4455BAFD0.jpeg

I’m really fed up of using hibi scrub, just simply because of how careful I have to be using it, not getting it in my eyes ears or nose. Also I can’t moisturise whilst using it. if I had seen I massive difference with it then maybe I would persevere but I think I am now going to switch to a sulphur soap which has great reviews on Amazon instead and moisturise with a product I have used for years from eurecin that contains lactic acid. Wish me luck.

I’m really pleased with progress so far with sulphur soap and I have been using effaclar duo which I am Impressed with. I am still doing the salicylic acid peels every 10 days now. I really hope and pray that this continues. In the photos I now have mostly red marks that will hopefully clear up. Fingers crossed. 

97285C9C-6726-4427-B1D3-019226BF2E9A.jpeg

B8F1A875-FD05-42B5-B054-99C1C9BAA330.jpeg

Your skin is looking great! Thanks for all the pictures!  Salicylic has been a wonder product for me too! And I have been told that it helps reduce wrinkles the older we get so that is something to look forward to!

Thanks for your comments! I’m very pleased too, glad it’s working for you.

The latest photos. I’m so happy with results I will stop updating now. 

I have been using sulphur soap, and effacler duo, both of which are amazing!!! I just mostly have red marks now. I have been doing the odd Salicylic acid peel too. 

27EA102C-4241-4A75-A3A9-BFC62148049E.jpeg

A2F946CE-D8E1-4E06-9238-38920067E039.jpeg