Notifications
Clear all

Inositol for PCOS acne

MemberMember
(@illuminaticat)

Posted : 01/02/2019 6:42 pm

I have PCOS and I struggle with very oily skin and acne. Throughout the past month I have been takingInositol in powder form- 4 grams per day. I've read multiple studies which claimed Inositol to havegreat efficacy in restoring ovulation and improving skin. However, in my case it was quite the contrary. After a week of supplementing my diet with Inositol I started breaking out. I had bumps and pustules dispersed all over my face. They alsotook very long toheal. While (thanks to the supplement) I didnotice some improvement of my PCOS symptoms (such as:less sweating, improved sleep, slighly less oily skin, less hot-flashes), the condition of my skin deteriorated dramatically. I stopped the supplement for 5 days but noticed no improvement. When I paused the supplement I noticed that my skin increasedin oiliness.All the forums I've been toincluded nothing but praise for Inositol. After much thought Ireally cannot link or correlate this breakout with anything else but the supplement.I would like to know if any of you have similar experience.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 01/29/2019 10:20 am

If you have PCOS, you may want to look into grapefruits and grapefruit juice. Grapefruits in particular induce aromatase to happen in the intestinal tract...they help the body metabolize and convert excess androgens (testosterone) into estrogen. One glass a day has been shown to have a significant effect on all PCOS symptoms, including acne. For many, I think it completely normalized their numbers (bloodwork) after several weeks...it was at least, if not more effective than taking metformin, or whatever that drug is they prescribe for it. (I think that's the name of the drug I'm thinking of?) Please look it up--it's easy to find if you start looking for it.

Anyway, I don't have PCOS, but I was suffering from hormonal acne...because of that info, I tried eating fresh grapefruit and/or juice (not from concentrate, of course) every morning. I do believe it REALLY helped a lot. If I stuck to it--I just didn't break out. After a few months, I was able to occasionally indulge on my offending foods (in small amounts) without suffering a massive cyst!

FYI, I even tried taking Inositol for the acne at one point and it had no effect.

Good luck!