Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jackstarling

Dry/Peeling Skin 1 year After Accutane

It has been close to 2 years since I stopped taking accutane and my skin is dry/peeling as if I were still on it. The skin on my face is flaky and everytime I touch it starts to peel. I have a feeling this will not go away. I have applied Cerave moisturizer to my face but this only helps a little bit and only helps for a short amount of time before the skin starts to peel again.

I would try applying aquaphor, but that makes my face breakout (the accutane did nothing to actually fix my acne).

Does anyone have any advice how to combat dry/flaky skin post accutane? It is very significant and constant.

Sorry Jack - 

I'm 8 years post accutane and my skin is drier than when I was on it - oil production never returned. 

I'm currently 4 weeks into trying a Vitamin A depletion diet. Might be something worth looking in to. 

Same here - I am 17 years post accutane. the skin dryness is terrible. try to find a moisturizer, that works for you. sorry that i do not have any better news for you.

Sounds like it is likely permanent then.

I have been using Cerave moisturizer and while it works ok, it does not completely eliminate the peeling. Maybe it brings my skin 30% back to feeling 'normal'.

Really wish I would've known I would have permanent dry skin like this before starting the treatment.

Edited by jackstarling

On 1/20/2019 at 11:11 AM, jackstarling said:

Sounds like it is likely permanent then.

I have been using Cerave moisturizer and while it works ok, it does not completely eliminate the peeling. Maybe it brings my skin 30% back to feeling 'normal'.

Really wish I would've known I would have permanent dry skin like this before starting the treatment.

Yes - many of us wish we knew about the permanent side effects of this drug.