Notifications
Clear all

Losing hope with my skin .. Someone please help, I'm no longer the person I used to be...

MemberMember
(@happyeverafter)

Posted : 12/28/2018 7:10 pm

This past year has just been horrible - my acne triggered it but now I'm not so sure my self-esteem and confidence issues are because of acne. I know if my skin was clear I would be happier so I will begin here on my journey to self-acceptance (Easier said than done). Decided to post on here as no one around me seems to understand, I'm constantly in tears because I can't stand to look in the mirror. Most people I mention it to say they don't even notice I have problematic skin although I think this is just to be polite. I just need some support along the way.

Things I have tried -

Been to a derm (given a skincare routine to follow La Roche Posay Cleanser, Differin as spot treatment, Skinceuticals Hyaluronic Acid Serum, La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo and Cetaphil Facial Moisturiser SPF 50) This didn't do much and at this time my acne was mild.

Tried all sorts of topical treatments including Differin, Duac, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, BHA & AHA Exfoliation Pads

Chemical Peel (only had the one done and I can see how this would help with scarring but only after breakouts have been treated/stopped therefore didn't pursue further treatments

Now on Birth Control but the one I've been put on (Microgynon 30) I'm not sure is meant to help with skin? Anyone had any luck with this? BC has helped as I'm no longer getting larger cystic spots but I am still getting smaller spots and in places I didn't before. I think it's also worth mentioning I scar easily so I would really like to stop these breakouts asap.

My skin is not bad enough for spiro, accutane or any hardcore drugs. But tbh, if this mild persistent acne does not subside I would be willing to resort to it. Also, I DO think it is hormonal acne but I constantly breakout, there is no pattern e.g. around the time of the month.

Any advice/tips/instructions would be greatly appreciated and if anyone is going through the same please contact me. I know your pain!!!

MemberMember
(@goddess420)

Posted : 12/29/2018 12:31 am

Try fermented cod liver oil by a company called green pastures. Its amazing and cleared my cystic acne. I have been through everything as you. Im going to post my story now so u can read it. Research it!

MemberMember
(@marx28)

Posted : 12/29/2018 1:51 am

Hi!

I also had mild but very persistent acne. I tried everything just like you have. I have been on Accutane for 5months now and my skin is completely clear. BUT if I would have known what Accutane would do to my body i would notchose to do it. When I started Accutane I figured I would not get very many side effects besides aches and dry skin. While being on Accutane my immune system has gone to pot. I am usually a very healthy person and never get sick. But Accutane ruined my immune system and I have gotten pink eye, ear infections, colds, and even a bad ingrown toenail that I had to have surgery on. But wait there is more.... The side effect that concerns me the most is that I have not gotten my period for 3months! And I have usually have them every 24-30 days since I was 11(I am now 17). I know how desperate you must feel to have acne gone, because I felt the same way i would say try going to an OBGYN because they can tell you if your hormones are in balance or not and I have heard that that can really help acne. I hope this helps with your decision on Accutane if nothing else works

MemberMember
(@happyeverafter)

Posted : 12/29/2018 8:20 am

6 hours ago, Marx28 said:

Hi!

I also had mild but very persistent acne. I tried everything just like you have. I have been on Accutane for 5months now and my skin is completely clear. BUT if I would have known what Accutane would do to my body i would not  chose to do it. When I started Accutane I figured I would not get very many side effects besides aches and dry skin. While being on Accutane my immune system has gone to pot. I am usually a very healthy person and never get sick. But Accutane ruined my immune system and I have gotten pink eye, ear infections, colds, and even a bad ingrown toenail that I had to have surgery on. But wait there is more.... The side effect that concerns me the most is that I have not gotten my period for 3  months! And I have usually have them every 24-30 days since I was 11(I am now 17). I know how desperate you must feel to have acne gone, because I felt the same way i would say try going to an OBGYN because they can tell you if your hormones are in balance or not and I have heard that that can really help acne. I hope this helps with your decision on Accutane if nothing else works

Hi Marx28.. thanks for taking your time out to respond :)

This is what worries me about Accutane, I even left going on BC for quite a while because I did/do want to clear my acne without taking oral medication. Have you spoken to your derm re. your periods? I didn't know this was a side effect of Accutane. I'd definitely get that looked into. I think Accutane for me would be a very very very last resort. Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope things begin to sail a little smoother for you. Sending hugs :) 

7 hours ago, Goddess420 said:

Try fermented cod liver oil by a company called green pastures. It™s amazing and cleared my cystic acne. I have been through everything as you. I™m going to post my story now so u can read it. Research it! 

Hi Goddess420,

Thanks for responding!! Going to look into this now... Do you know if your acne is hormonal? Or if this would work for hormonal acne? TIA 

MemberMember
(@goddess420)

Posted : 12/30/2018 5:11 am

20 hours ago, happyeverafter said:

Hi Marx28.. thanks for taking your time out to respond :)

This is what worries me about Accutane, I even left going on BC for quite a while because I did/do want to clear my acne without taking oral medication. Have you spoken to your derm re. your periods? I didn't know this was a side effect of Accutane. I'd definitely get that looked into. I think Accutane for me would be a very very very last resort. Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope things begin to sail a little smoother for you. Sending hugs :) 

Hi Goddess420,

Thanks for responding!! Going to look into this now... Do you know if your acne is hormonal? Or if this would work for hormonal acne? TIA 

Hi! It™s hard to really answer that question. My acne is located only on the lower part of my face, mostly around the lower sides of my mouth/chin. Also on jawline. (Which this type of acne on woman is considered œhormonal) Forehead and cheeks always usually clear. It™s also deep big red nodules that last for a long time. I pretty much had new acne forming consistently around the whole month of my cycle. I never noticed any particular pattern there. 

I did get my hormonal levels tested via saliva test and I have extremely high androgens. I was told because of this that I needed to cut back on nuts and avocados and also add evening primrose to my vitamins. Also the dht block supplement, which I™m currently taking. 

I was also told the only way to control hormonal acne was birth control pills, which I didn™t want to take. I was really trying to find other natural ways to control my hormones because I was convinced my acne was the cause of hormones and my high androgens. 

But then I tried the fermented cod liver oil and it cleared my skin, due to the vitamin a content. So I really don™t know what to think. I think u can combat acne in a variety of ways. I just found one fix and that™s with vitamin a. But it hasn™t fixed my inner hormonal imbalance. 

But at least my face is clear...

high androgens can also lead to infertility, so in a few years when I want to try to get pregnant I may have issues. Good thing for in Vitro! Lol

so I honestly don™t know what to say about my acne being œhormonal or not. Hope this helps! 

MemberMember
(@jen720cleveland)

Posted : 12/30/2018 7:29 am

I completely understand and i would reccomend trying glycolic acid (at least 20%) and salicylic acid together along with other aha's and bha's. The brand "the ordinary" is a good starting point - their stuff is so cheap! But it works I promise. At least for me it did. I posted some before and after pictures- first pics are from October 11 2018 and the other ones i just took this morning December 30th 2018 so it didnt take that long to get good results. As you can see my skin is bad. I've had acne since I was 9. I'm not on any meds for it right now either. Just using aha's and bha's. Let me know if you want more info or just want to talk, I understand how you feel!

20181011_222700.jpg

20181011_222350.jpg

20181011_222441.jpg

20181230_070310.jpg

20181230_070235.jpg

20181230_065938.jpg

MemberMember
(@happyeverafter)

Posted : 01/03/2019 3:37 pm

On 12/30/2018 at 10:11 AM, Goddess420 said:

Hi! It™s hard to really answer that question. My acne is located only on the lower part of my face, mostly around the lower sides of my mouth/chin. Also on jawline. (Which this type of acne on woman is considered œhormonal) Forehead and cheeks always usually clear. It™s also deep big red nodules that last for a long time. I pretty much had new acne forming consistently around the whole month of my cycle. I never noticed any particular pattern there. 

I did get my hormonal levels tested via saliva test and I have extremely high androgens. I was told because of this that I needed to cut back on nuts and avocados and also add evening primrose to my vitamins. Also the dht block supplement, which I™m currently taking. 

I was also told the only way to control hormonal acne was birth control pills, which I didn™t want to take. I was really trying to find other natural ways to control my hormones because I was convinced my acne was the cause of hormones and my high androgens. 

But then I tried the fermented cod liver oil and it cleared my skin, due to the vitamin a content. So I really don™t know what to think. I think u can combat acne in a variety of ways. I just found one fix and that™s with vitamin a. But it hasn™t fixed my inner hormonal imbalance. 

But at least my face is clear...

high androgens can also lead to infertility, so in a few years when I want to try to get pregnant I may have issues. Good thing for in Vitro! Lol

so I honestly don™t know what to say about my acne being œhormonal or not. Hope this helps! 

Ive started taking vitamin a and zinc supplements too. Since Monday so its only been 4 days but I am hopeful it will lessen or hopefully stop my breakouts. I also think my bc hasn't been helping because microgynon30 has levonorgestrel which is notorious for causing skin problems and worsening acne. Honestly no idea why my gp put me on this but then again shes not a derm so maybe shes following bc protocol. It is one that is given as the first most option due to it having least side effects (this is what ive read anyway). I'm switching to a new bc on the upcoming Monday (a generic of yasmin called yiznell) I am hoping the drospirenone helps with my breakouts instead of making them somewhat worse like my current bc. If anyone reading this has tried Yaz/Yasmin or any generic version please let me know your experience. 

Trying to stay hopeful! I'm glad the vitamin a is working for you.. but yes its hard to tell whether acne is hormonal. Will keep this post updated with how the bc/supplements are going. Don't know if anyone will read it but I'll do it anyway :) 

On 12/30/2018 at 12:29 PM, Jen720cleveland said:

I completely understand and i would reccomend trying glycolic acid (at least 20%) and salicylic acid together along with other aha's and bha's. The brand "the ordinary" is a good starting point - their stuff is so cheap! But it works I promise. At least for me it did. I posted some before and after pictures- first pics are from October 11 2018 and the other ones i just took this morning December 30th 2018 so it didnt take that long to get good results. As you can see my skin is bad. I've had acne since I was 9. I'm not on any meds for it right now either. Just using aha's and bha's. Let me know if you want more info or just want to talk, I understand how you feel!

20181011_222700.jpg

20181011_222350.jpg

20181011_222441.jpg

20181230_070310.jpg

20181230_070235.jpg

20181230_065938.jpg

Hi Jen! Thanks for posting .. I've private messaged you re. your routine :) Your progress looks great .. The only aha/bha I am currently using is the nip and fab night pads.. I find these help with general texture of the skin but not so much with stopping new pimples from popping up. Maybe I need something stronger? Would be great to get advice on what products you are using from the ordinary. I have a few i bought quite a few months ago now but never got around to really using them properly because my skin was freaking out with every product. I stripped my routine back to basic cleanser, benzoyl peroxide and moisturiser, an occasional face mask (aztec healing clay) and the nip&fab pads. Sticking with this for the time being until my skin is calm enough to introduce new products. Also not sure if its the lighting but your 'after' pics show a huge reduction in pitted scarring on your forehead? If there has been a reduction what has helped?? As I have scarring also .. TIA!! 

MemberMember
(@lexipixie)

Posted : 01/15/2019 1:30 am

I recommend Azelaic Acid!! I wish someone had told me about it much earlier. In Aus it's easily available over the counter at pharmacies. I think the Ordinary make one too that you can't get here. It's been great for my skin along with Spiro 50mg/day.

MemberMember
(@happyeverafter)

Posted : 01/16/2019 11:31 am

Thanks @LexipixieI think I need to solve the underlying problem first which is my hormones. Its strange my skin will be looking okay for a day or two and then bam a new breakout. Currently dealing with 3 incredibly large, itchy and red ones on my right side.. I'm really trying not to give up hope because I know something will work. Can I ask how was your acne prior to spiro? Mild, moderate, severe? And how long did the spiro take to kick in? I'm on my second week of Yasmin .. it's killing me inside.

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 01/16/2019 2:17 pm

I just ordered azelaic acid cream from The Ordinary. It was @$8, so worth a shot!

MemberMember
(@happyeverafter)

Posted : 02/18/2019 4:44 pm

Just posting a little update for whoever is interested. I just finished up my 2nd pack of generic Yasmin (yiznell in the UK) last night. I haven't had a cystic breakout/pimple in quite a while - can't actually remember when the last one was so that's clearly showing the improvement! I am still getting clogged pores/small whiteheads around my chin but nothing major. I have noticed my skin is definitely not as oily as it used to be. So currently dealing with a couple of clogged pores/whiteheads and lots of PIH/PIE.

I did have an allergic reaction to benzoyl peroxide last week - red,swollen, itchy face. Really was awful. I now have a few extremely dry patches on my cheeks/eyes/eyebrows. I've been moisturising like crazy (cetraben and vaseline around my eyes)and have stopped all actives as I might have damaged my moisture barrier. If it doesn't improve in the next 2 weeks-ish I'll go see my derm and see what we can do.

My break week is this week and I ran both my packs together since I started so I'm hoping I don't get any crazy breakouts this week.

I'll keep u guys posted!