Notifications
Clear all

Help required. Outbreaks of cystic acne.

MemberMember
(@v8mot0r)

Posted : 12/27/2018 10:52 pm

I have had acne for ~ 3 years and severe cystic acne over the past 12 months. It used to completely cover my back/shoulders and face, however after persistent use of 5% benzoil peroxide and eliminating dairy from my diet my back is now acne free, howbeit covered in keloidal scars. My face on the other is odd. It is completely clear except for large patches on and around my mouth - see attatched photos. The fact that most of my fact that my face is clear except for the acne you can see in the photos is excellent. And last week, before this outbreak of cystic acne I briefly felt like a normal human being. Not covered in disfiguring pus filled lesions. I tried isotretinoin in August of this year, however I stopped treatment after 1 week as I became heavily depressed. Following my stint on isotretinoin I used chlorohexadine aka Hibiclense and that cleared a large amount of my acne up. Unfortunately this product stopped working. Additionaly I have tried ACV, both topically and drinking but to no avail. I have also had a course of doxycycline  (January 2018) and Epiduo (June 2017 and September 2018) but to no avail. In addition, I have tried eliminating caffeine from my diet for 3 months but to no avail. I eat a healthy diet consisting of fresh fruit and vegetables meats and grains. At this point in time I am scratching my head as to why I keep breaking out when I seem to be on the brink of clear skin. Any advice/treatments/ideas would be greatly apreciated. However please don't suggest I go back on isotretinoin as it made me depressed and severe depression runs in my family. 

1545968123364400843822.thumb.jpg.a9102438ed31ef08acee4c766ec89f0e.jpg1545968223019833324374.thumb.jpg.38ad00551921ab5effbfa4a34622c50c.jpg

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/28/2018 12:14 pm

The thing with topical treatments is that they are sometimes unable to penetrate deep down to affect cystic acne. How old are you? I definitely understand not wanting to subject yourself to accutane as it really is a life altering drug. You may want to enlist the help of a naturopath and revisit some options with your derm. A naturopath can help you look into diet a bit more and tailor a plan just for you. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this.

Definitely keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@goddess420)

Posted : 12/29/2018 12:48 am

I am a 29 yo woman and I had acne in the same places as you around the sides of my mouth/chin. It was red inflamed deep cystic nodules lasting weeks leaving scars. I take 1tsp/night of fermented cod liver oil by a company called green pastures. My acne has totally cleared within 1-2 weeks. Ive stayed clear and just ordered 2 more bottles! Its a miracle. You may have to play with the doses and slowly titrate up because maybe u need more than 1tsp to clear, maybe less. Every day. Im going to post my story right now as soon as I can figure out how to make a new topic on this dam website lol. Then u can read my story! Try it!

Here is is the title of my post if u need to google it

FERMENTED COD LIVER OIL CLEARED MY CYSTIC HORMONAL ACNE AROUND CHIN/MOUTH

MemberMember
(@crc29)

Posted : 01/02/2019 10:59 pm

You might want to try stopping the benzoyl peroxide. It can be so drying that it actually causes your skin to over produce oil and cause more breakouts. maybe try limiting yourself to just a mild cleanser twice a day, a mild moisturizer, and maybe a scar treatment at night. I've been using is clinical active serum at night and it works amazing for my scars. Going off dairy and limiting the harsh topicals I use has made such a difference for my skin. If you really feel like you need a topical you might want to try Finacea gel. Its a Rxn for rosacea but its works wonders for cystic acne by reducing redness and inflammation so your skin can heal. Hope that helps and good luck!