Notifications
Clear all

Cheek Acne Scars: Type/Treatment Options? (Photo)

MemberMember
(@snapdragon)

Posted : 12/27/2018 7:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I™ve been a long time reader within the community but never really had the courage to post until now.  I was wondering if anyone could offer insight about the types of acne scars I have and treatment options? I know there are a lot of threads regarding this issue but I™ve recently been feeling a little overwhelmed with information and extra self-conscious about my scars so any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you! 

A little background info (not sure if relevant): 

1. I never really had any problems with acne as a teen minus the occasional breakout and hyperpigmentation. 

2. It wasn™t until I turned 20 that my face seemingly broke out overnight with painful cystic acne and gradually grew worse as time went by”main areas affected by it were cheeks and temples.

• Tried the natural route (changing diet/natural products) but didn™t see much change
  • Saved up enough money to see a dermatologist who prescribed lots of creams/antibiotics that didn™t really help
  • I had a feeling it might be hormonal so I decided to do some research which led me to a forum on here about different types of birth control. Followed the advice, went on the pill, and my cystic acne was greatly reduced.

3. At 21, saw a new doctor at my school who suggested going on Accutane for what was left. I was a bit hesitant at first but decided it was worth a shot since I had exhausted all my other options. I did the 6-month course and my cystic acne went away leaving behind scars.

It's been two years since then (now 23) and I'm ready to take the next step. I™ve been doing some research on dermatologists who specialize in acne scars but there aren™t much in my area”except Dr. Rullan who is a couple of hours away by car but still manageable. Thoughts?

IMG_4008.jpg

userimage-2716398.png

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/28/2018 1:06 pm

@snapdragonHi there surface boxcars, some rolling scars, and a few icepicks. No major fat loss.

Good goto Rullan

[Content removed]

Disclaimer: Information and support is not meant to diagnosis, treatment, or cure any health or mental condition and is not a substitute for professional face to face medical care (consult with a few Dr's and pick your favorite one). Posts are for informational purposes only, please consult your personal health care practitioner before engaging in anything discussed.

MemberMember
(@snapdragon)

Posted : 01/18/2019 11:43 pm

@beautifulambitionThank you so much for the response! I'll definitely look into each procedure and keep everyone updated when I finally do go in. Again, super helpful and thank you! 🙂

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/19/2019 3:01 am

On 12/27/2018 at 4:56 PM, snapdragon said:

Dr. Rullan who is a couple of hours away by car but still manageable. Thoughts?

So you're a noob, eh? Rullan is likely to be your best bet, but before you embark on the treatment bandwagon, which will likely cost you a arm and a leg, consider going the DIY route and see how your scars improve. I personally have been through a lot and most are not very good. I have belatedly found a goldmine in the power of TCA. Not the usual 35% crap. Anyway, TCA fixes not only icepicks and boxcars. It also flattens out rolling scars! Lasers, Infini, and even subcision haven't yielded anything close (as far as my naked eyes could tell).