Notifications
Clear all

Adulting with acne

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/26/2018 1:00 pm

I've been a member of these forums since 2011 but have been an acne suffer on and off for over 19 years. As an adult who is 35, I have to say that dealing with acne has been ten times more difficult than it was dealing with it as a teen. I am not one to compare myself to others or envy what others have but ever since entering the adult realm still dealing with this, I have found that my self esteem has taken a big hit. I feel as if I am less than with acne and that I am still stuck in a perpetual state of teenage hood while everyone around me has grown out of it. I have grown so much since the beginning of this journey but I have so much further to go. I think that my acne at this point is permanent as i've tried many things and i'm at the point of just giving up and letting my face take over.

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 12/29/2018 1:37 pm

i feel the same way.

im in my 30s and have missed out on quite a lot compared to others.

3 things i would say about acne.

the longer you have acne, the worse your skin becomes - due to post acne marks /damage.

you get zero sympathy from others as acne is almost seen as a self inflicted illness.

and people with acne suffer mental health and low self esteem problems, not because of a few red spots but because of how people treat us and years of bullying (mainly at school)

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 01/13/2019 7:14 pm

I have had ok skin through my teen years but it has been ok. I am now 44 and am dealing with such extreme acne it is debilitating. I have lost all self confidence in the matter of 6 months. I may lose my husband because he doesn't understand what I am going through mentally. I have 3 beautiful children and they are the only reason I keep trying.

MemberMember
(@gutskinaxis)

Posted : 01/13/2019 8:59 pm

I'm sure you all have heard this before but how are your diets?

Have you tried zinc supplements?

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 01/13/2019 9:38 pm

I am on a dairy free diet. Lots of veggies and fruit. I started zinc about a week ago.

MemberMember
(@emilee_sarah)

Posted : 02/16/2019 5:51 pm

Hi leelowe1,

My heart goes out to you. I, too, struggled with acne for years, and know the emotional scars it can leave. I started using Unblemish by Rodan+Fields, and it has completely changed my life. It worked a miracle on my skin. Is this something you would be interested in trying? Just wanted to share what worked for me.

All the best.