Notifications
Clear all

Feeling like a freak

MemberMember
(@33paige)

Posted : 12/21/2018 5:36 pm

Ive never had ok skin since the age of 11 Im now 33. It has affected my life massively as it has impacted greatly on my self esteem of which I have none. So there is not an area of my life that has not been affected. After years of misery. Finally I have a treatment that seems to work. My skin is still no perfect and obviously I have years of scaring. I was doing alright until I had to ask the GP for a repeat prescription. He refused the repeat prescription when I phoned to ask why it had not been done. I was then told I needed a face to face appt. For what ? Im 33 I know what a spot looks like and I had ran out of the medication they came straight back. I work 2 jobs and have 3 kids 2 with additional needs. I dont have time for this. I had the face to face appt and I just felt like I was explaining that I was a freak. He made me feel unhuman. Why should I have to beg for medication just so I can feel somewhat normal? Ive not stopped crying since. I must be a freak.

MemberMember
(@bazzo)

Posted : 12/26/2018 10:40 am

I'm sorry that happened to you, most dermatologists I have encountered are truly incompetent.

33Paige liked
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/28/2018 12:17 pm

Hi Paige. Acne can really affect us more than physically. It may help to talk to a therapist and share these feelings. I'm 35 and still dealing with acne. It can weigh on us and make life seem not so enjoyable.

33Paige liked
MemberMember
(@ragamonster)

Posted : 12/28/2018 12:41 pm

You're not alone and certainly not a freak. I just turned 41 and am SO FREAKING TIRED of having bad skin. My recentmeeting with a new dermatologist was a terrible experience. I don't think many of them treat acne as a very serious condition. He was also a lot younger than me and I felt like he was just some kid laughing at me like I was back in high school.

Do you have a therapist? I'm currently looking for a new one. I would recommend talking to someone. Psychologytoday.com is a great resource.

I'm having a few flare-upsright now I think due to terrible holiday diet. I've been on spironolactonefor over a year now though and I've found it's the best thing I've ever tried. I also still use the acnetreatment from this site along with the moisturizer. Good luck. <3

33Paige liked
MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 12/28/2018 5:24 pm

What is the prescription, if you don't mind me asking? That's so frustrating that the doctor wouldn't re-prescribe it unless you saw them! Especially if it was working. I hope you get it prescribed again with no problem, and continue to see improvements in your acne. If you ever need to talk, I'm here!

33Paige liked
MemberMember
(@33paige)

Posted : 01/06/2019 5:34 pm

Thank you for all the replies. I only wanted a repeat prescription of erythromycinin and soolantra cream. But he was really horrible about it. I have seen many therapists and psychiatrists over the years not really for the acne but other mental health issues however I greatly feel that had the acne been treated when I was younger I wouldnt have had the self esteem issues ive had and have followed me through life. Even when my skin is not so bad I still cant shake the feeling of being a freak !

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 01/07/2019 9:24 am

im the same age and have had a similar experience to you with my GP.

i use to go back and forward to my GP for years (teens till late 20s) for acne medicine andcreams. the last time i talked to a GP about my acne was about 5 or 6 years ago. ive never really had a deadicated GP but this one(a lady) shouted at me down the phone because i wanted to ask if i could up my dose of acne medicine because it wasn't working.

ive never tried accutane but in my optionacne creams and pills from the doctor are useless and just caused me horrible redness. - there is far better information and advice online (youtube, google, this forum)to help treat acne yourself.. that's how i greatly improved my skin. ( i personally don't think doctors really care about acne or skin problems)

- i imagine it was the same for you but back in the day, we never had access to all this great information online.. so it was either go to theGP or suffer in silence. luckily things have changed.

MemberMember
(@33paige)

Posted : 01/12/2019 5:31 pm

Yes I was back and forth to the GP for years fobbed off with being told I had teenage skin then its cos youre pregnant they were useless I went to private clinics they were no better and spent a fortune. Took over 10 years for the GP to refer me to dermatology. So finally finding something that seems to work that Im not allergic to. So imagine my frustration when the GP is refusing my prescription. Accutane is not an option for me as I have been suicidal but after over 15 years of wanting to hide your face would you not be. And even now I look ok i guess I still feel like the 11 year old trying to hide.