Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myrence

Can tretinoin give me more closed comedones?

So I’ve been for 2 years going around the same problem, closed comedones on my face.

I’m a 20 (almost 21) year old female. At  the beginning of the year I started using a medication in gel form that had tretinoin 0,025% and erythromycin. I work, mostly. Some of my closed comedones were gone and some I was able to easily extract them. But for some reason I broke out again pretty bad all over my cheeks. I kept using the gel but I realize it wasn’t doing much, so I started using tretinoin on 0,1% which is the highest dose. 

So fast forward, I used it for two months I think, and some of the big closed comedones i had on my cheeks I was able to extract them, others just dissapered (mind you that I also had them on my forehead but those are impossible to remove, I don’t know. The only thing that once worked was ketoconazole shampoo and applying benzoyl peroxide after. It got rid of 90% of those forehead bumps. But it doesn’t seem to work anymore)

So I was happy with almost clear skin, I had a bit to go yet but then I got my period  and I broke out. I always break out around that time of the month, I get like three big red inflamated pimples but I also get small bumps all over my face.

I’m still using the tretinoin but I sometimes feel like it’s doing more harm than good. I got even more bumps all over my cheeks that you can only see in some angles or when the light hits, ALL over my temples and in my forehead. And I feel like maybe the tretinoin (in cream form I’m using it btw) it’s the cause of it. 

Is this normal? Is the tretinoin suppose to give me all this small bumps and then they will go away if I keep using it? Or it is actually not good for me? Also, the bumps never turn into inflamated pimples, Maybe once every two keeps i get a big inflamated one, but mostly they just stay as bumps. 

Please if someone knows or had any recommendation towards what could be going on help me! 

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes