Notifications
Clear all

Accutane long term effects

MemberMember
(@sgd88)

Posted : 12/12/2018 7:05 pm

Hi everyone. I am going on accutane in January and have mixed feelings! Although I'm excited to not have to worry about break outs anymore, I'm worried about what my skin will be like after my 5 month course is over. I'm used to oily skin and don't mind it. Will my skin be super dry after? Will the dryness emphasize my scarring? What was your experience?

MemberMember
(@christinamarie13)

Posted : 12/13/2018 2:44 pm

I would avoid taking Accutane at all costs.. is clear skin worth all of the side effects to you? I would instead turn to a gut cleasning diet... anything but Accutane.

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 12/16/2018 6:37 am

My oily skin is back after about 6 months off Accutane.

MemberMember
(@sgd88)

Posted : 12/26/2018 9:20 pm

Christina I was actually on a special diet for a little over a year but I just couldn't do it anymore and my acne came back with fury. Unfortunately it's the cystic scarring kind and i havent gotten clear despite being on two medications and a prescription topical so accutane it is.

MemberMember
(@will_from_barcelona)

Posted : 12/27/2018 10:12 pm

No matter what anyone tells you, you will have your own post-accutane process. There's people who say accutane saved their skin forever, and others who actually claim it has ruined other aspects of their life. Somewhere between that spectrum is you (and, trust me, most likely on the more positive side). Some people require multiple accutane courses, some people actually get rid of their acne for good in just 5 months. There's people whose oily skin fully comes back after a few months, while some say the oil comes back but in a much lesser amount. There's just so many variants that depend on your skin type, acne type and your body's reaction to the medication.

Gotta go with the cliches here; be patient, stay positive and trust your derm. It's a long, tough journey, but it's worth it.

SGD88 liked
MemberMember
(@marx28)

Posted : 12/29/2018 1:55 am

I have been on Accutane for 5months now and my skin is completely clear. BUT if I would have known what Accutane would do to my body i would notchose to do it. When I started Accutane I figured I would not get very many side effects besides aches and dry skin. While being on Accutane my immune system has gone to pot. I am usually a very healthy person and never get sick. But Accutane ruined my immune system and I have gotten pink eye, ear infections, colds, and even a bad ingrown toenail that I had to have surgery on. But wait there is more.... The side effect that concerns me the most is that I have not gotten my period for 3months! And I have usually have them every 24-30 days since I was 11(I am now 17). I know how desperate you must feel to have acne gone, because I felt the same way i would say try going to an OBGYN because they can tell you if your hormones are in balance or not and I have heard that that can really help acne. I hope this helps with your decision on Accutane if nothing else works

MemberMember
(@sgd88)

Posted : 12/30/2018 1:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. Accutane really is the last resort for me. I've done special diets, worked with naturopaths, taken bir th control, spironolactone, and used prescription and otc topicals and yet I still can't get my skin clear. I hope it works