Notifications
Clear all

Whether to start Accutane

MemberMember
(@rich23)

Posted : 12/12/2018 10:45 am

Hi, I have mild acne which I have had since I was 15, 24 now. I have an appointment with a dermatologist on Friday and wondering if Accutane could be the answer to the struggles of living with it everyday. I have tried everything from my GP and also outsourced various skin peels and products but no result. Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 12/12/2018 6:44 pm

Accutane would be my absolute last resort...it's really harsh and has tons of side effects, so unless it's cystic or severe, I would stay away to be honest.  Have you ever tried Unblemish? That was the only product that worked for me - you name it (over the counter) I've tried it. While I was waiting to get in to the dermatologist to get on antibiotics, I tried Unblemish, and shockingly enough, it worked. Never did see the dermatologist :)

MemberMember
(@will_from_barcelona)

Posted : 12/16/2018 10:45 am

Hey Rich. I have dehydrated, acne-prone skin. My acne was also pretty mild, but very very persistent. I used Salicylic Acid for 6 weeks and it fucked my skin up bad, then spent a couple months just gently cleansing and lightly moisturising my skin with CeraVe Lotion, and while my skin got considerably better, it didn't do anything for my oil production and acne. I didn't even have to ask my derm about it, she recommended it to me. I've been using it for 27 days today, and the results are amazing so far. No initial breakout (in fact, I've only had like 3 or 4 pimples since I started taking it), dry skin and lips absolutely bearable with proper moisturising, and I can still use my contacts without a problem.

I feel like most of the scary side-effect stories you can find online are written by people with more severe cases of acne, who obviously have to deal with an already painful skin condition that gets worse with the use of Accutane. Your 'pain' tolerance will also be a factor of course but, again, if you have mild acne it shouldn't be painful at all, just uncomfortable. If nothing has worked for you so far, and if your derm agrees to it, I say go for it.