Notifications
Clear all

Breakout after retinoid/accutane

MemberMember
(@chrisbud)

Posted : 12/03/2018 11:57 pm

So I've done two courses of accutane. The first was about two years ago, and my face had definitely cleared up for about a good year until I started college and it all came back, perhaps the same if not worst. After a couple of months I decided to see a dermatologist and went through multiple creams and pills, ultimately leading to my second round of accutane. I did a 4-month treatment and my face cleared up immensely, though I still had a couple spots here and there from scars/marks. I just saw my dermatologist last week and was prescribed a retinol cream, 0.05. I've been using it every other day for about a week and now my face is on full-blast breaking out all over. I thought after accutane I wouldn't have to go through this but unfortunately, I am and it's the worst feeling after all the hard work of putting through accutane multiple times. I use Clindamycin topical to help clear breakouts but it still seems to continue. I still have a box left of accutane I never used because my derm told me to stop the treatment once results came in again; should I do accutane again for a month or pull through the initial breakout of retinol? I'm really self conscious about my skin and it just hurts seeing my face this bad again. Is this normal?

MemberMember
(@ivy2018g)

Posted : 12/17/2018 8:50 am

I, similarly finished a course of accutane and was (pretty much) completely clear. I was prescribed .1 differin as I still got a couple of spots here and there. I am in the third week of it (3 months since finishing accutane) and am breaking out much more than I expected with large red spots.

How is the retinoidworking for you or have you given up?

cheers