Notifications
Clear all

does benzoyl peroxide cause wrinkles and flaking?

MemberMember
(@skingloww)

Posted : 11/30/2018 8:19 pm

Hi, I am 15 years old and suffer from acne. I have started my skincare routine which is made up of African black soap, a pore unclogging face scrub that contains sacrylic acid, a toner, and a moisturizer which is just cocoa butter. after these products, i apply benzoyl peroxide and go to sleep. I am on day 3 of this routine and am noticing my skin is very very dry throughout the day. I lather lotion and it dries up 20 minutes later. I'm experiencing a lot of skin flaking, occasional burning, and itching. But what stresses me out most is the wrinkles around my mouth and under my eyes. does this mean it's working or should I stop? and most importantly (which stresses me out the most) are these wrinkles permanent? Will they go away? Thank you.

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 12/03/2018 12:51 pm

Yes this is definitely normal! It's a side effect, unfortunately.  The wrinkles are simply because of the dryness. You need to find a good moisturizer and apply that a few times a day to counteract BP's drying effects.  I found the acne.org one to be soothing but not enough moisture.  I have a few suggestions if you need some ideas! Good luck :)

skingloww liked
MemberMember
(@lovablemama)

Posted : 12/03/2018 8:19 pm

Stop drying out your skin. When skin is dry, the enzymes don't function properly or shed, which causes your skin to stick and plug the pore. Acne is causedby dead skincells, not oil. We need sebum AKA OILto keep our skin acidic at a 4.0-5.5 range, it is called our acid mantle. When you strip this protective barrier, your skin makes MOREEEEEoil and that's why you're super oily and have acne. Your dead skin cells mix with sebum, and you get acne.Stop stripping your skin. Read down below how to get rid of acne forever, I made this post to help people.

Ialso went on Accutane when Iwas 20. I am now 29. Theacne was gone for some time and came back until I've discovered how to get rid of it FOREVER (recently about a year ago I discovered the missing piece). Before I tell you what to do, I'm going to educate you on how the skin works. Many people like to buy products or start harsh treatments without knowing what they do. It is important to know how the skin functions before using anything. First of all, your skin likes oil. Sebum, also known as an oil or fat is naturally acidic to keep bacteria away. Our skin is at a ph between 4-5-5.5 to keep acne away and healthy bacteria on our skin. The issue is humans like to strip their acidic mantle (oil) and dry out their barrier, which makes our skin OVERPRODUCE OIL ANDMIXES WITH DEAD SKIN CELLS (your pore gets clogged). You are breaking out because you have dead skin cells sitting on your surface that aren't being properly shed. You have DRY dead skin cells. Our skin knows how to desquamate or shed unless the barrier is dry and damaged. We have certain enzymes that shed our skin but when it's disrupted we get inflammation or dry skin or acne. Our skin needs to be properly balanced with the right amount oil and water, similar to our natural barrier. Too much oil, you get acne. Too much dead skin you get acne. Cleansers and certain alkaline products do this (SOAP). Think about it: Why do you think some of your friends who do nothing to their skin have great skin? They aren't stripping theacidic mantle, or oil from their skin. Most of these people probably cleanse once a night or never. Now I'm going to tell you what todo for clear skin FOREVER.

At night ONCE A NIGHT: Use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (not the daily facial one) for thirty seconds up to a minute max. Why? cleansing the skin too long causes dryness which in turn causes skin cells to dry out and clog your pores. They stick to the pore and do not know how to exfoliate properly. You need to keep skin acidic. If you cleanse too long skin becomes alkaline and a breeding groundfor bacteria to invade.

the products mentioned above can be found in any drug store or supermarket and I don't work for the company btw. Those are the only products I like by cetaphil, the other ones haven't been good to me, for other reasons not due to acne.Other water in oil emulsions aka moisturizers can do fine but I just mention this one bc it's correctly ph-balanced and it has oil/water to dissolve that sticky layer that sits on your face. My skin is clear now and it glows every morning.