Notifications
Clear all

My acne always returns. Please help me!

MemberMember
(@humanragtop)

Posted : 11/28/2018 5:18 am

Dear Acne.org Community,

My name is Leon, and I'm 19 years old living in France

I was diagnosed with hormonal acne when I was 16 years old, from that day I tried absolutely everything to cure my acne, literally everything! The only thing who helped me clear up my acne was Accutane. I was 2 times on Accutane. The first time for 3 months, and then my parents forced me to stop taking the drug because they were afraid of the side effects. Then the second time for 6 Months on 30mg, and yeah guess what, I needed to stop again because of my Highschool finals. since the drug made me really tired, and less concentrated. For the first time, my skin was clear not a single pimple, I still had some hyperpigmentation but nothing too bad. I thought my acne was gone. But my acne came back after 3 months, my skin became oily again. The acne is definitely less severe then it was before, but the most annoying is my oily skin. I regret it so much that I stopped taking the drug because I'm sure if I had taken the drug longer, my skin would be fine now.

It makes me really angry to think aboutbut is it a good idea to take Accutane again for the third time, but this time take it until mydoctor tells me to stop it?

Thanks for reading :)!

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 11/28/2018 6:10 pm

I personally wouldn't take Accutane again..it's pretty harsh on the body. But of course, check and see what your doctor thinks (as they'd know best). I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, and I hope your doctor says it's okay for you to go on it again, if you found it helpful. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 12/03/2018 7:15 pm

I took roa 5 times. Because it is nothing else there unfortunately...first time I did not take the full cumulative dosage and acne came back. When I say acne I mean painful cysts which left scars I have forever and still deal with it at 45... second course I took the full dosage nevertheless acne came back... third time was prescribed in a small dosage for a long period. I started from 20mg for a couple of months then continued 10mg once a daymore then a year. This course helped the most. I got acne back but much less and taking 4 snd 5th time in small dosage for a couple of months. I ownestly think that the third course was my saver. Addie effects? Yes dry lips and eyes, so drops and cream constantly. Depression? I was severely depressed when I had acne and could not go out of the house, not saying about work. On roa I became a normal person again. So may be it is worth discussing with your doc taking roain a lowdosage for a long period. On a low dosage all aside effects are very mild.

Third time continued till all the cumulative dosage was taken.

MemberMember
(@lovablemama)

Posted : 12/03/2018 7:56 pm

I also went on Accutane when Iwas 20. I am now 29. Theacne was gone for some time and came back until I've discovered how to get rid of it FOREVER (recently about a year ago I discovered the missing piece). Before I tell you what to do, I'm going to educate you on how the skin works. Many people like to buy products or start harsh treatments without knowing what they do. It is important to know how the skin functions before using anything. First of all, your skin likes oil. Sebum, also known as an oil or fat is naturally acidic to keep bacteria away. Our skin is at a ph between 4-5-5.5 to keep acne away and healthy bacteria on our skin. The issue is humans like to strip their acidic mantle (oil) and dry out their barrier, which makes our skin OVERPRODUCE OIL ANDMIXES WITH DEAD SKIN CELLS (your pore gets clogged). You are breaking out because you have dead skin cells sitting on your surface that aren't being properly shed. You have DRY dead skin cells. Our skin knows how to desquamate or shed unless the barrier is dry and damaged. We have certain enzymes that shed our skin but when it's disrupted we get inflammation or dry skin or acne. Our skin needs to be properly balanced with the right amount oil and water, similar to our natural barrier. Too much oil, you get acne. Too much dead skin you get acne. Cleansers and certain alkaline products do this (SOAP). Think about it: Why do you think some of your friends who do nothing to their skin have great skin? They aren't stripping theacidic mantle, or oil from their skin. Most of these people probably cleanse once a night or never. Now I'm going to tell you what todo for clear skin FOREVER.

At night ONCE A NIGHT: Use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (not the daily facial one) for thirty seconds up to a minute max. Why? cleansing the skin too long causes dryness which in turn causes skin cells to dry out and clog your pores. They stick to the pore and do not know how to exfoliate properly. You need to keep skin acidic. If you cleanse too long skin becomes alkaline and a breeding groundfor bacteria to invade.

Next: Apply Cetaphil Moisturizing CREAM (not lotion): With your palms melt this moisturizer on your face. Do not rub!!!!! Pat it into your skin so it absorbs. This cream is in a range of 4.5-5.5. It will keep acne away by being acidic and providing water to the skin that aids in exfoliation/desquamates. Never I mean ever again scrub your skin, rub it hard, never. Moisturizers exfoliate the skinthat's a secret. People think they have to scrub and get rid of those dead skin cells that cause acne. NOPE. A moisturizer with oil and water will dissolve dead skin in about an hour and you'll glow. So as I was saying...melt it into your skin and put your finger on your face and if you see oil, good job. That oil is going to dissolve those dead skin cells that cause pore blockage (in about an hour your skin will glow bc all the dead skin went bye bye). Now when you pat it, pat it for about ten seconds or 15. You don't want to be patting it too long or rubbing. You also can sweep it on your face in an outward motion or downward. The point is youreapplying heat to the moisturizer. and you are dabbing/patting You can even rub the moisturizer in your hands first then swipe it on your face (that works wonders). What you just did is you made the moisturizer absorb better into your skin and you created a barrier from air and harsh winds. Your skin needs to stay moisturized in order to be acne-free. Acne medications do get rid of acne bc they increase cell turnover and shedding as I mentioned, but guess what???????? MOISTURIZERS DO THAT TOO EXCEPT IT DOESNT DRY OUT YOUR SKIN. People who have healthyskin have acidic skin and moisturized skin. Okay so back to the regimen....you cleanse ONCE A NIGHT AND APPLY THIS CREAM. THIS PROCESSS SHOULD NOT INCLUDE RUBBING, SCRUBBING, LONG EXPOSURE TO WATER (DRIES YOUR SKIN OUT). Oh and when you shower, keep your face away from water. Let water touch your skin only at the sink, once a night. Why??? bc water is a ph of 7 which is neutral not acidic. Also tap water has chlorine and salts which are drying and slow down the shedding of dead skin cells.In the morning, don't do anything at allllllllll. washing your face too much causes dry skin which causes that combination skin aka acne! comfortable skin is acne-free. When using the moisturizer, pat it in for not that long so you also let the water in the moisturizer get trapped in the skin to effectively exfoliate your skin. Skin needs water and oil to effectively shed. So your job is to provide a barrier overnigh, once a day, only at night. In a month, your skin will be a lotttttt better. it takes 28 days for skin to renew itself. why do u think acne meds take a while? they are shedding layers of dead skin which a moisturizer does the same thing, but bad dermatologists won't tell u that. Only the good ones will. The secret to clear skin to cleanse once a day and melting oil/water in your skin (moisturizer).have questions? message me.

the products mentioned above can be found in any drug store or supermarket and I don't work for the company btw. Those are the only products I like by cetaphil, the other ones haven't been good to me, for other reasons not due to acne.Other water in oil emulsions aka moisturizers can do fine but I just mention this one bc it's correctly ph-balanced and it has oil/water to dissolve that sticky layer that sits on your face. My skin is clear now and it glows every morning.