Notifications
Clear all

Desperate question on my scar - Acne Scar Treatments While High Dose Accutane

MemberMember
(@lastchance130)

Posted : 11/19/2018 9:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm on my fourth month of Accutane 80mg/day and my acne scars are really taking a toll on my self-esteem and mind. I have grown to become super desperate in trying to get rid of them as soon as possible. 

First most, how deep and what kind of scars do I have (picture)? I understand that while I'm on accutane I can't have any treatments. Can I possibly just get dermal fillings on these scars as a temporary solution while i wait for my course to finish up?

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_E0952.JPG

IMG_E0951.JPG

IMG_E0950.JPG

MemberMember
(@lastchance130)

Posted : 11/20/2018 3:53 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 11/20/2018 6:55 pm

In the interest of being as honest as possible, your scars are more on the severe side. The majority of your scars are rolling with some boxcars, and are widespread. You also exhibit volume loss on your cheeks from deeply seated cysts. Because you are on Accutane, your treatments are limited to procedures that DO NOT leave open wounds that need to heal by secondary intention (left open to heal on it's own). That means NO lasers, dermabrasion, or chemical peels (with the possible exception of TCA Cross).

For now, the safest thing you can do is fillers. Subcision is also possible because the surface of the skin is left intact. The general rule with fillers is to start with temporary fillers to make sure you like the look and that they work for your type of scars. Some of the scars will need to be subcised, with filler used to prevent reattachment of the scars and the "donut' effect. Without subcision, fillers will extrude from the place they are injected to the surrounding areas because the scar tissue is too thick.

For fillers, stick to hyaluronic acid fillers that are reversible and temporary to gauge their effect. The sunken cheeks can be lifted with a dense filler with Voluma or Restylane Lyft. Restylane Lyft is much cheaper than Voluma, so thats one way to save money. For more surface level / shallower rolling scars, use a thinner filler like Restylane Silk or Belotero for fine tuning.

When you have more experience with fillers, BellaFill is a permanent filler that can be an option. But it is irreversible and has risks (granulomas, infections years down the road).

Please let the board know where you are located to get recommendations for doctors.

MemberMember
(@superburrito)

Posted : 11/20/2018 7:10 pm

Recent studies show that accutane and acne scar treatments can be done concurrently. Here's Dr Davin Lim on the topic:

MemberMember
(@lastchance130)

Posted : 11/20/2018 10:00 pm

3 hours ago, dazzed said:

In the interest of being as honest as possible, your scars are more on the severe side. The majority of your scars are rolling with some boxcars, and are widespread. You also exhibit volume loss on your cheeks from deeply seated cysts. Because you are on Accutane, your treatments are limited to procedures that DO NOT leave open wounds that need to heal by secondary intention (left open to heal on it's own). That means NO lasers, dermabrasion, or chemical peels (with the possible exception of TCA Cross).

For now, the safest thing you can do is fillers. Subcision is also possible because the surface of the skin is left intact. The general rule with fillers is to start with temporary fillers to make sure you like the look and that they work for your type of scars. Some of the scars will need to be subcised, with filler used to prevent reattachment of the scars and the "donut' effect. Without subcision, fillers will extrude from the place they are injected to the surrounding areas because the scar tissue is too thick.

For fillers, stick to hyaluronic acid fillers that are reversible and temporary to gauge their effect. The sunken cheeks can be lifted with a dense filler with Voluma or Restylane Lyft. Restylane Lyft is much cheaper than Voluma, so thats one way to save money. For more surface level / shallower rolling scars, use a thinner filler like Restylane Silk or Belotero for fine tuning.

When you have more experience with fillers, BellaFill is a permanent filler that can be an option. But it is irreversible and has risks (granulomas, infections years down the road).

Please let the board know where you are located to get recommendations for doctors.

Thank you for your reply. I currently live in NYC and am seeing David Khalil, MD.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 11/21/2018 7:14 am

MemberMember
(@floridagirl1991)

Posted : 01/07/2019 12:37 am

If it makes you feel any better , mine are worse.  I posted pictures on my profile. Let me know if fillers work for you , I'm going to try them soon.  Be strong and know you're not alone . You're still good looking , so be happy about that. :)

MemberMember
(@tryinghard123)

Posted : 01/07/2019 1:04 am

Please note that after the swelling has gone down and 1-2 months later after subcision and filler the scars come back the same.....I have done it 2 times before it does NOT work

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 01/07/2019 8:00 am

On 11/21/2018 at 11:10 AM, superburrito said:

Recent studies show that accutane and acne scar treatments can be done concurrently. Here's Dr Davin Lim on the topic:

The research states this might be possible to do scar treatments while taking low doses of Accutane. Low dose Accutane is typically 10-20mg a day. I think you would be crazy to do scar treatments while on 80mg Accutane. That is just me. I would wait at least six months.

MemberMember
(@lastchance130)

Posted : 01/07/2019 9:44 am

@floridagirl1991 I had filler done 3 weeks ago. It helped, looked better but you can still see under lightings.

@ScarRight my dosage dropped to 40mg. I have spoken with Dr. Novick who has also given me the filler a few week ago. He is willing to do the subcision procedure once my treatment is over. I pretty much agreed to it and scheduled an appointment knowing his years of experience :/

@tryinghard123 seriously????! How many sessions did you undergo? Did BA give you a plan to help you? I™m getting anxiety thinking about this possible outcome.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/07/2019 10:57 am

@Lastchance130Seems I have to chase fires today,...

I can help with treatments, plans and questions, but I cannot help those who need extended mental support (General Statement).

No scar case is the same, we are not clones, one person could do a million procedures and not be you, your all different ages, ethnic backgrounds, healing capabilities, plans for treatment, outcomes, different surgeons(they treat differently as well), etc, we could go on and on. The point being is never compare yourself to someone else. Sure you can learn from their experience but do we really know every single detail about what was done and why - no.If someone heals poorly or had a poor Dr they typically hang around here. They have pulled up a bunch of old threads for some reason to get answers.