Notifications
Clear all

Differin concern

MemberMember
(@clearnot)

Posted : 11/15/2018 1:33 am

I was on a course of doxycycline for about 4-5 months on its own and my skin cleared right up over summer, i visited a derm with minor concerns 8 weeks ago as my forehead had begun to slightly break out with about 3 or 4 spots which i hadnt dealt with in a while (probably stress related because school had started for me again) I said I was about 4 weeks away from finishing my doxy course and she prescribed me differin cream. I began using it and noticed small comedones appear all over my forehead which Id never had before because I only get cysts or pustules but I figured it was part of the purge, my skin was doing good for a while and the differin seemed to fade my hyperpigmentation from old acne really quickly, however at about the 6 week mark, two weeks after I finished my doxy course, my skin freaked out and broke out with lots of inflamed spots along my hairline and forehead and eventually I started to get more around my nose and chin area, this has persisted until now at my 8 week point of using differin cream. I figured this may just be a flare up that will pass because of my finishing the doxycycline recently but I dont know if I should stick out with the differin until 12 weeks to see results or not because these new breakouts are ruining my confidence and making me miserable!! ive considered going on another doxycycline course or trying birth control because imlosing my patience

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 11/15/2018 11:36 am

ive read lots of times that after finishing or stopping a medicine a big breakout occurs.

i would stick to what your doctor has said for now but imo, some of these medicines mask the problem of acne and iam not a fan of either doxycycline or differin cream - ive used both and they didnt do much for me.

i would recommend doing some research into diet & acne.. although doctors say (and have told me to my face) that diet has nothing to do with acne, the evidence is strong that it does.

https://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/287109-people-listen-up-it-is-dairy

https://www.acne.org/search.php?i=&q=diet