Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Prof Chu no longer works at the Hammersmith Hospital - left in October 2017 and now works at a private clinic in Chiswick - West London Dermatology Centre

Link to post

So after 3 months im done with my study and wanna take 6 months off for treatments. I live in europe so there are only 2 options for me, Emil or Chu. Emil does subcision, fillers and laser (fully ablative). Chu does subcision, microneedling/prp and from what ive heared no fillers. Correct me if im wrong.

What is my best option based on pictures ive included? I wanna do my research thoroughly to make the best decision.

20180103_045437.jpg

20180103_045205.jpg

20170820_123533.jpg

Edited by Ryan92
Link to post

To be completely honest, you are obsessing yourself with something so minor. This is not healthy for yourself and in a way disrespectful towards people who deal with real acne scars that will hardly heal. You have too much free time buddy, take a look at my scars, those are real acne scars that people notice right away and look at whenever i meet them. A little perspective is good now and then.

Link to post

Looks more like sun damage to me,minor scarring thats not worth worrying about but if you feel you need to deal with it/them then go ahead.

Link to post

Respect for both. Listen to BA. Your scars are not hard to improve, nor do you need downtime. Vertical subcision with BOTOX should improve your scars by 30% with one session. This 'job' without the hand holding will take 3-5 minutes at most. Vertical attachment can be broken manually, Botox relaxes the muscles tethering the scars down. Evident in both pictures. 2 sessions then revaluate with photos.  Take a step back, and think anatomy. Feel your forehead area. 1.5 mm from skin to bone. In this 1.5 mm space there are the following anatomical structures- epidermis - 100 plus microns, dermis, SC fat, muscle (frontalis mm) ,perisoteum, bone..... scars are in the muscle to dermal space. 1 mm of working space. Vertical microneedling MANUALLY to divots on angled photos in addition to muscle relaxant will get the job done. Emil and Chu may have different approaches, each specialist has their own preferred methods. Just sharing my literature review.... Im no expert (wish I did a dozen acne scar revision procedures a day, but I wish... ), follow the guidance of Emil and Chu... wish you well.

Link to post
@Noa27 have you done your sub with Prof Chu?

I had my second sub with Chu and on my third day the bruises are yellow already :-O They are fading much more quickly than with the first sub (w Emil) and are just ... smaller... paler.. and no bumps at all.
Why? I dont think it is a matter of subcision performed "right" or "wrong" but the steps after the sub itself-   Emil just pressed down on the subcised areas with an icepack for like 60 seconds and that was it. Chu, on the other hand, had the nurse press down on it really haaard and massage the subcised area - I am talking about really hard massage - for 20 minutes! He told me this is really important step after sub in order to prevent creation of blood clots and lumps and if someone does not do it, then they dont perform subcision correctly :-O
(PS: truth is after my first subcision I had both bumps and much more aggresive bruises. both were done with Nokor, by the way)

Well, either way, you will heal even if you get lumps and bruises, question is... which one will you benefit from more with regards to scars lifting?

IMHO, try sub with filler now. I am going for filler myself on the third sub. Edited by eva_li
Link to post
@Noa27 Sorry Noa had to move your post, as it's was in someone else's thread. From the pics you sent before I don't recall seeing your scars clearly. I need to see the shadows your scars make with a flashlight or directional lighting. So we know if subcision is even worth pursuing at this point. These treatments are not general treatments and must be customized to each person's condition. I will be happy to advise if you post here or message me. Thanks,
BA
Link to post

No, not by Chu or  Emil. A doc in Belgium performed all of my subcisions. He is only 1,5 hour drive away, i wanted to try him first.

Tomorrow i post more. I have the flu atm :(

Link to post

fair enough, I might have had more fibriosis and resistance with the first case, very likely so actually

9 hours ago, Obi wan said:

but I know Emil's technique, as he was taught by Chu.

how do we know this, btw? I mentioned him to Chu, didnt seem to remember him/know who I talk about. mmm.
Link to post
@eva_li which of the doctors you liked better? I guess Chu will be no use for me because he don't do fillers. I already had subcision with prp and that didn't do much.
Link to post

Hi, I have a mix of rolling and box car scars that according to a Dr in my country are tethered so I'm a good candidate for subcision and he agreed to use fillers.

I read about Dr Chu and it is considered one of the best with acne scars.
Does anyone know why he doesn't want to use fillers with subcision to avoid fibrous attachment to re-build? So he thinks it's unnecessary?

I read that subcision is a simple and safe procedure so I'm thinking to stick with my doctor even if there are no opinions about him online.

Edited by Carter77
Link to post

Might be because he does nhs and they leave filler out as it can add to cost.he has a sectetary who might do it but i am unsure without trawling through the forum,BA knows more and more clued up.Theres suction with a cheapish ebay suction/cupping set,it works but got to be stringent and a good candidate for suction (my own experience)

Link to post

He works in a private clinic now so I dont believe it has anything to do with NHS.. When I asked him he told me he doesn't believe in fillers as they tend to relocate/ cause issues etc.. For tethering he suggested PRP.. I advise you to combine your subcision with filler, I wish I would have done that instead of the Chu's treatment which did not give me any result.. Can your local doc do that? (My scars are also mostly rolling btw)

thanks for the answers!
@Nina22 my doc is Giovanni Salti in Italy.
I don't want to use a permanent filler so the possible issues won't last forever if I'm unlucky.
So do you used PRP as spacer and it didn't work well?

Link to post

He doesn't like fillers in general even HA fillers that are not permanent and many others in here, including me, do like them.. PRP didn't work for me because it doesn't act as a filler it just helps you heal faster according to some.. He only subcised 4 of my scars instead of many more as I would like and I did not get a visible improvement like with filler before, so I was not happy.. Next time I want to do subcision combined with filler as well..

Edited by Nina22
Link to post

Hey everyone I am a 32 year old female having suffered with acne scars for 6 years. I am about to see prof Chu at his private clinic in London on Wednesday. Will post some before and after pics later.

Edited by BeneficMosque

Hey everyone,

I had my appointment today with professor Chu. He is a lovely and caring doctor. He told me I have a mixture of rolling and boxcar scars which are on my cheeks the right cheek being worse. I will have dermapen, subcision and tca cross done at the end of the month. Feel excited to start this journey of improving my scars which have held me back so much. Thanks to the suppport of you all. I will keep you posted of my journey! :) Currently using retinol 1% at night and vitamin c in the morning with plenty of sunscreen. Eating lots of fruit, veg and protein to help my body build collagen hoping this will help my recovery.

Edited by BeneficMosque

Hey everyone,

Had my procedure with professor Chu yesterday. He first performed dermapen all over my face. My scars are mostly concentrated on my cheeks after the procedure the nurse put cold packs on my face for 10 minutes. He then performed subcision on both sides although my scars are not very deep there was still some tethering. The most painful part of this was the injections. It was also very satisfying hearing the bands snap. He then finished everything off with tca cross.

Today my face is still very swollen and red. He told me I can carry on using my tretinoin cream a day after the procedure.

Link to post

Hi Bloomingwasp!  Your post has been very information.  May I ask did you experience any PIH or PIE after each treatment? If yes, how long it took for them to fade away? Thanks :)

Link to post

Hello, I didn't really have much pigmentation at all. There was one spot that kept rescabbing- i showed it to dr chu who suggested it was a vascular reaction and cauterized it for me. That turned quite red but faded after a couple of months.
All in all I'm very happy with the treatment. I've actually got a few new acne scars since- nothing major- and if they don't fade in a month or two I will probably get them crossed.