Notifications
Clear all

Professor Tony Chu and Your Reviews

MemberMember
(@dx4567)

Posted : 08/16/2010 10:41 am

Has anyone else been to see Dr Chu at Hammersmith Hospital for acne scarring?

He seems so average, no lasers, filler, or customer service. I want the best in the world.

Nothing works, I want better.

MemberMember
(@faizalj19)

Posted : 08/16/2010 12:01 pm

I know Dr Chu very well, and take it from me, he is one amazing doctor. But, dont him as a doctor, treat him as a friend. I spoke to him about his holidays, his family and so on - and we got on really well. Tell him you know Faizal, and I am sure he will be even nicer to you.

In terms of doctors, I have seen so many doctors - ranging from: Dr Teixeira, Dr GreenBaum, Dr Khan, Dr Chu and so many more, and Dr Chu is the number 1. He does use "basic" tools if you want to call them that, but he gets great results. You know, buy him a bottle of champagne - it helps. I did!

At the end of the day, you want a result, and you need to have a great relationship with him. I have never seen him angry, and I have always found him such a decent doctor. I even email him and he responds.

Just sit down with him. Be honest & tell me your thoughts. He will be honest with you. Ask him does he think the treatment is working, and if there is anything else you can explore.

Dont give up on him for sure. He is the best guy on there. Just be open & honest.

If you need any help, please post message me.

MemberMember
(@wighto)

Posted : 08/16/2010 12:26 pm

This post depresses me lol, I saw him 5 days ago, and had dermaroller on my rolling scars and tca cross on my boxcars. All the redness from the dermaroller has gone, and I seem to have only 1 scab. Maybe for the scars that had subcision you could try getting a filler? I've no idea where the best place to get this done is though as everywhere seems to advertise them for wrinkles and not acne scars.

MemberMember
(@dx4567)

Posted : 08/16/2010 7:32 pm

This post depresses me lol, I saw him 5 days ago, and had dermaroller on my rolling scars and tca cross on my boxcars. All the redness from the dermaroller has gone, and I seem to have only 1 scab. Maybe for the scars that had subcision you could try getting a filler? I've no idea where the best place to get this done is though as everywhere seems to advertise them for wrinkles and not acne scars.

This takes me onto another thing regarding Dermaroller and TCA CROSS; I found I had to take at least a week off work (including travelling to London on the day) to recover from these procedures. Multiply that by 8 and we're talking 8 weeks off work. Thats a lot of money lost, even more if you're paying for the treatment. Personally I believe a treatment will either work or it won't - this whole 'it takes several treatments' stuff just leads us to believe that it is working, when in reality it is not.

I guess I have no option now but to go for fillers, because I really am tired of the never ending treatments, travelling and downtime. I'm not sure if these are available on the NHS though. I'd much rather have a permanent filler than a temporary one. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like something the NHS would offer. I've heard they are quite pricey privately, around 200-300.D

These days when I look in the mirror, I'm sure the Dermaroller has had a detrimental effect on my skin tone and texture. Especially since this is the only treatment I have had for the past couple of years. My skin seems paler and more pasty than what it was, and with a reddish tinge. My skin also seems a bit rougher. I don't remember my skin being like this prior to Dermaroller, and not much else has changed in the past couple of years. It's important to remember that this is a relatively new treatment, so it may have side effects that people may not have yet noticed.

MemberMember
(@praisethelordforacnenot)

Posted : 08/17/2010 9:25 am

Dermarolling has given me a reddish tone where I have had the dermarolling performed and I also got amvc from dermarolling. AMVC is spontaneously formed scars out of nowhere..I dont think it is common, maybe 1 out of 500 patients can get this I dont know, the only thing i know is that 3 days after my last dermaroll this amvc hell started. I'm also more prone to blush these days, dont know if it was the n-lite or the dermarolling which gave me it, but one of those...

MemberMember
(@sportsguy23)

Posted : 08/17/2010 12:27 pm

First off your part where you say he did subcision on me again when you pleaded with him not to is complete BS.

I have never heard such crap before.

You don't want him to do it? You WALK OUT.

Subcision CAN work if performed properly.

The lumpy texture does happen. My subcision area didn't improve until 5-6 months after the procedure. I felt comfortable somehwat after about 2-3 months and then it started improving...

It gave me a linear scar and generally from what I have heard that is the main type of problem with subcision. It can lead to over-correction...which makes a line like scar...

It can also widen the original subcised area up a little bit by creating new tissue...it's because of the collagen formation underneath the skin.

Subcision will improve a rolling scar I believe...Just need a great doctor that can prevent the creation of new scarring.

As far as TCA cross I would only suggest this on pin-like or ice pick scarring. It is probably too risky to apply to bigger or wider scarring and from 99% of the people that have posted here it does seem to help that specific type area.

TCA peels will help your overall tone when you are done with scar treatments... that is all I can say.

Dermarolling like dermabrasion probably does make for a rough texture. Each procedure has benefits and risks associated. I had dermabrasion and my main rolling scarred area looks rougher and worse afterwards. Also it took away benefits subcision gave me. It got rid of smaller scarring almost completely and gave me a slightly uneven tone 9 months out.... but it is improving SLOWLY so it does get better with time...lots of time.

For subcision I would wait 6 months in between each one. Unless you are going aggressive at 3 months apart. TCA cross is recommended to repeat treatment at every 1.5-3 months or so depending on how you heal.

TCA cross should heal up within 3-7 days almost completely I believe if you only go for ice picks or pin-likes...maybe will be a bit discolored but not much.

Subcision bruising goes away completely after 2 weeks...and skin looks more normal after about 1.5 months,... but you can return to work for subcision and TCA cross after 1 week...Just will need a bandaid on face or coverup...

Good luck.

I need a second round of subcision to help me after my dermabrasion 9 months ago. I am still waiting before doing it again.

MemberMember
(@dx4567)

Posted : 08/17/2010 1:20 pm

sportsguy23 said:
First off your part where you say he did subcision on me again when you pleaded with him not to is complete BS.

I have never heard such crap before.

You don't want him to do it? You WALK OUT.

Subcision CAN work if performed properly.

The lumpy texture does happen. My subcision area didn't improve until 5-6 months after the procedure. I felt comfortable somehwat after about 2-3 months and then it started improving...

It gave me a linear scar and generally from what I have heard that is the main type of problem with subcision. It can lead to over-correction...which makes a line like scar...

It can also widen the original subcised area up a little bit by creating new tissue...it's because of the collagen formation underneath the skin.

Subcision will improve a rolling scar I believe...Just need a great doctor that can prevent the creation of new scarring.

As far as TCA cross I would only suggest this on pin-like or ice pick scarring. It is probably too risky to apply to bigger or wider scarring and from 99% of the people that have posted here it does seem to help that specific type area.

TCA peels will help your overall tone when you are done with scar treatments... that is all I can say.

Dermarolling like dermabrasion probably does make for a rough texture. Each procedure has benefits and risks associated. I had dermabrasion and my main rolling scarred area looks rougher and worse afterwards. Also it took away benefits subcision gave me. It got rid of smaller scarring almost completely and gave me a slightly uneven tone 9 months out.... but it is improving SLOWLY so it does get better with time...lots of time.

For subcision I would wait 6 months in between each one. Unless you are going aggressive at 3 months apart. TCA cross is recommended to repeat treatment at every 1.5-3 months or so depending on how you heal.

TCA cross should heal up within 3-7 days almost completely I believe if you only go for ice picks or pin-likes...maybe will be a bit discolored but not much.

Subcision bruising goes away completely after 2 weeks...and skin looks more normal after about 1.5 months,... but you can return to work for subcision and TCA cross after 1 week...Just will need a bandaid on face or coverup...

Good luck.

I need a second round of subcision to help me after my dermabrasion 9 months ago. I am still waiting before doing it again.

Um...OK, no need to get angry. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

MemberMember
(@axle)

Posted : 08/17/2010 1:52 pm

Did it give you a raised or depressed scar?..did it appear immediately?

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 05/24/2011 3:34 am

I went to the GP today to ask for a referal to hammersmith hospital but the gp told me nhs have stopped putting people on the acne treatment.

anyhow, i want to see DR CHU and want to know how to contact to see him privately,

any information would be greatful!

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 05/25/2011 11:27 pm

so do i just ring up the secretary of dr chu and book an appointment if i want to go privately?

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 05/30/2011 8:34 am

thanks for the replies! do you know if you will need a referral from the GP? even if you are going privately

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 06/01/2011 4:32 am

i just rung up and it looks like you need a referall even if you want to go private too!

MemberMember
(@antoooony)

Posted : 06/01/2011 4:31 pm

How much does Dr Chu charge for a private consultation?

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 06/10/2011 8:43 pm

i just fax'ed my referral to him, i will get back to you on my prices when i get to see him :)

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 06/12/2011 11:03 pm

should i bother getting private medical insurance? i am on dr chu waiting list exactly in 2 months.

so private medical insurance or not?

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 06/15/2011 4:40 am

hi there, yes 2 months its not long i expected longer! yes just GP referral, ask your doctor to write you a letter right there and then and then you fax it

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 06/25/2011 6:10 am

does anyone know if dr chu works on treatment during the 1st appointment? or will he just look at the acne scars and tell you to come back another time?

MemberMember
(@yellowboy)

Posted : 06/26/2011 2:22 am

acne 201111, i was just wondering from the day you sent in your referal letter how long did it take for the secretary to get back to you with an appointment? Its been more than a week with me and she still aint contacted me

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 06/26/2011 12:31 pm

acne 201111, i was just wondering from the day you sent in your referal letter how long did it take for the secretary to get back to you with an appointment? Its been more than a week with me and she still aint contacted me

well i got a reply back through a letter with a time/dateand the waiting list was exactly 2 months from the date it was printed then they forwarded my date 3 weeks earlier so it will be now,

the secretary didnt ring me up, just a letter, you should be expecting it real soon buddy

i still need to know if dr chu does treatment on the day he sees you or calls you back for another date.

MemberMember
(@crystalized)

Posted : 06/27/2011 11:48 am

well i got a reply back through a letter with a time/dateand the waiting list was exactly 2 months from the date it was printed then they forwarded my date 3 weeks earlier so it will be now,

the secretary didnt ring me up, just a letter, you should be expecting it real soon buddy

i still need to know if dr chu does treatment on the day he sees you or calls you back for another date.

I don't know about Dr Chu, but I've visited two other derms in London and both did an initial consultation and then called me back for treatment at a later date.

MemberMember
(@anna-di)

Posted : 06/27/2011 6:21 pm

On my initial consultation with Dr. Chu he did a TCA CROSS test on some icepick scars to see how my skin reacts to the acid.

MemberMember
(@yellowboy)

Posted : 07/01/2011 8:22 pm

Just found out that they did not recieve my referal letter so had to email it to the secretary again.

Anyway i asked her how much the consoltation fee is and was told that its A182. That is expensive, but i dont care. I'd happily trade all my money for better skin

Also acne201111, im also wondering about whether dr chu will treat me on the first day as i need to book time of work. I'll ask the secretary when my letter comes through and let you know

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 07/02/2011 1:32 pm

Just found out that they did not recieve my referal letter so had to email it to the secretary again.

Anyway i asked her how much the consoltation fee is and was told that its 182. That is expensive, but i dont care. I'd happily trade all my money for better skin

Also acne201111, im also wondering about whether dr chu will treat me on the first day as i need to book time of work. I'll ask the secretary when my letter comes through and let you know

wow 182? thats expensive but it will be worth it for the both of us! and i also agree, lets hope for the best, do you have private medical insurance? i was wondering it was really needed just in case something does go wrong although i trust dr chu as i've heard great things only about him,

i hope he at least does TCA CROSS to test how the skin reacts like the other reply said.

MemberMember
(@yellowboy)

Posted : 07/05/2011 5:13 pm

Just phoned up Dr Chu secretary today and got my appointment which will be on the 14th July (next week) :) . Thats is really quick !!!!!!

I think she felt bad for me cause I've had to send in my referral letter twice cause she didnt received the first one, and even after sending in the 2nd letter she forgot to get me an appointment hence the reason why i had to phone her today.

i also asked her whether or not Dr Chu will treat me on that day and she said 'No' and that i will need to book another appointment after the consultation

MemberMember
(@acne201111)

Posted : 07/06/2011 1:28 pm

thats great to hear, im going on the 22nd july, please get back with what they've said etc, after you've come back from the consultation, i would like to hear what they do on the first trip there!