Notifications
Clear all

Does Accutane cause acne scarring? Should I keep my teen away?

MemberMember
(@hopenew)

Posted : 10/25/2018 12:00 pm

My teen has mile acne on the face on chest. I am bringing him to dermatologist. Does accutane cause acne scarring? Should I keep my teen of this medication?

MemberMember
(@hopenew)

Posted : 10/25/2018 6:54 pm

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@hopenew)

Posted : 10/30/2018 5:36 am

This forum is dead. I'm moving on.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 10/30/2018 2:43 pm

9 hours ago, HopeNew said:

This forum is dead. I'm moving on.

I am sorry no one replied to your question. Some people with severe acne were left with scars and needed further treatment 6-12 months after Accutane depending on the type of scars they had. Some with mild acne were left with scars from Accutane and some people had no scars at all. Some people have been left with different issues.
It's kinda like the prescribing info states...that some people with acne developed worse acne with on Accutane, some it came back months or years later and some have been clear ever since. No One Can Really Tell You if Your Teen Will Be Left With Scars Or Not

You can do a search regarding Accutane and scars on this forum or the scars forum on the board.

HopeNew liked
MemberMember
(@hopenew)

Posted : 11/04/2018 7:56 am

On 10/30/2018 at 3:43 PM, oli girl said:
I am sorry no one replied to your question. Some people with severe acne were left with scars and needed further treatment 6-12 months after Accutane depending on the type of scars they had. Some with mild acne were left with scars from Accutane and some people had no scars at all. Some people have been left with different issues.
It's kinda like the prescribing info states...that some people with acne developed worse acne with on Accutane, some it came back months or years later and some have been clear ever since. No One Can Really Tell You if Your Teen Will Be Left With Scars Or Not

You can do a search regarding Accutane and scars on this forum or the scars forum on the board.

Thanks. The dermatologist said she has seen people "cured of acne using accutane..." And that I only read the negative reports...

MemberMember
(@pr0xy)

Posted : 11/07/2018 11:59 pm

Accutane doesn't cause scarring. It can cause red spots/scarring(after clearing the acne at the time) while on it, but once off the drug, majority of scars should disappear within a year. If not, laser therapy and other scar remedies can fix that unless they are keloidal scars(severe form of acne). If your son has acne forming on the chest, more than likely oral medication is required. I would definitely consider accutane or other treatments fast. I started with minor acne on my chest that persisted for years. I thought it would go away, I tried everything to fix it, antibiotics + many prescription as well as otc products and nothing worked. Many things made it worse and it went from modern acne to very severe through the time. Now I am on accutane and hoping it will fix it, but my chances of scarring are 10x worse than what it once was. Luckily, I have no keloidal scars. Those require a lot of work to remove. Wish you and your son the best.

HopeNew liked