Notifications
Clear all

How my severe acne reduced significantly

MemberMember
(@essiek)

Posted : 10/24/2018 11:28 am

Hello,

So there's no point in me sharing my entire severe acne story because it is probably similar to many but I will give you an overview. I've tried over 100s of OTC products and they didn't work. I've had severe acne since 17- I get crazy cyst acne, huge pimples, extremely oily skin, major blackheads which have now created some dents and btw I am dark skin african female. You name the product, I've tried it and in the past I've gone to dermatologist who prescribed me 10% glycolic pads which didn't do anything for me. I didn't have a good insurance to keep going to a dermatologist so I just kept on researching and trying things. I was ashamed and always wore my hair down to reduce the attention. The makeup made it worse I believe but I couldn't go out with my face like that. Btw, I practically only eat 3 major foods rice, potatoes, salmon..rarely have fried foods, no nuts, cheese.

Long Story short, I am now 27 and finally have a good job with insurance and went to a dermatologist.
First Time: she prescribed Targadox, Differin and Aczone. Targadox made me puke Aczone made my skin oilier and Differin reduced the inflammation.
Second Time: Stopped Targadox, started Spironolactone, Finacea, Elta MD. No results
Third Time: She injected my cysts which didn't do anything ( that was just a money grab). Finally got the new prescriptions she gave me Duac(Clindamycin 1,5_2%) and Tazorac, Neostrata Glycolic wash. This worked!
I saw my skin slowly peeling after 2weeks on Tazorac even though the marks barely reduced. Neostrata was super expensive so I waited weeks before getting it while using the other 2. Duac literally reduced my pimples to the extent that there is at most 1 tiny zit on my face. I don't break out during my period severely, or have random pimples anymore. My skin has no bumps at all.

I got Neostrata and that's helped smooth my face a bit and reduce my marks. I don't know when the dents will go away but I will keep using this regimen until my black marks are gone.

I use Duac every morning under my makeup. If you haven't tried this please ask for it and good luck.

MemberMember
(@choctruffle)

Posted : 11/15/2018 12:29 pm

Hi!

i am new to this forum and just found your post - it interested me as I am really trying not to go on Accutane. I am also dealing with the worst acne I've dealt with so far, I wouldn't say it is extreme but it's definitely noticeable, painful, likely hormonal, etc. I am hoping to see a dermatologist soon (I live in Canada so there's long waitlists, but free so that's good!), I am really interested in the regimen you mentioned involving Duac and Tazorac. I am currently already using the Neostrata Glycolic wash but it isn't really doing anything to my skin. I found that it helped smooth my skin for the first few weeks but now I am pretty much lost about what to do, I am feeling overwhelmed by all the OTC products, and in general discouraged about taking the prescription drug route.

I am curious - with Duac, does it dry out your skin? I feel like presription creams I've used dries out my skin so badly so I end up stopping it. Maybe I should push through that dryness. I have a doctor's appointment with a family physician coming up soon so I am trying to prep myself with some options to try.

Thank you - really happy you're experiencing some relief!

MemberMember
(@angiek)

Posted : 12/07/2018 5:22 pm

I have found that if I avoid eating fats one week before and all during my period, I only get about 10% of the breakout I get otherwise. Limit the fat intake and your body can't synthesize the sexual hormones, so they don't rage as much = less acne

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 12/12/2018 6:46 pm

On 12/7/2018 at 3:22 PM, AngieK said:

I have found that if I avoid eating fats one week before and all during my period, I only get about 10% of the breakout I get otherwise. Limit the fat intake and your body can't synthesize the sexual hormones, so they don't rage as much = less acne

I wouldn't suggest diet advice...that could be unhealthy for the user.

MemberMember
(@essiek)

Posted : 01/03/2019 1:13 am

On 11/15/2018 at 12:29 PM, choctruffle said:

Hi!

i am new to this forum and just found your post - it interested me as I am really trying not to go on Accutane. I am also dealing with the worst acne I've dealt with so far, I wouldn't say it is extreme but it's definitely noticeable, painful, likely hormonal, etc. I am hoping to see a dermatologist soon (I live in Canada so there's long waitlists, but free so that's good!), I am really interested in the regimen you mentioned involving Duac and Tazorac. I am currently already using the Neostrata Glycolic wash but it isn't really doing anything to my skin. I found that it helped smooth my skin for the first few weeks but now I am pretty much lost about what to do, I am feeling overwhelmed by all the OTC products, and in general discouraged about taking the prescription drug route.

I am curious - with Duac, does it dry out your skin? I feel like presription creams I've used dries out my skin so badly so I end up stopping it. Maybe I should push through that dryness. I have a doctor's appointment with a family physician coming up soon so I am trying to prep myself with some options to try.

Thank you - really happy you're experiencing some relief!

Yes, Duac does dry out your skin but that's why my dermatologist told me to use a moisturizer after it has set in for about 5 mins. I use Cerave PM moisturizer. I don't mind the dryness because I have really oily skin. If you haven't tried Duac, you should. I haven't had a pimple in 4months now

On 12/12/2018 at 6:46 PM, klessard said:

I wouldn't suggest diet advice...that could be unhealthy for the user.

I concur with this, diet is all based on the individual. I tried all kinds of diet including paleo diet for a while but it didn't work for me. Duac is the only that's worked. Now I'm just trying to clear the dark marks