I have oily skin. C...

Notifications
Clear all

I have oily skin. Can I used Shea Butter as a moisturiser if I'm using topical retinoids

MemberMember
(@janeylady)

Posted : 10/04/2018 2:12 am

I've seen lots of people say you should avoid shea butter if you have oily skin and I decided to try it out. I personally liked the feeling of it, but I still trust general consensus more.
However I have been using topical retinol which has dried out my skin. I'm wondering whether that means I can use Shea Butter confidently now?

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 10/04/2018 10:17 pm

20 hours ago, JaneyLady said:

I've seen lots of people say you should avoid shea butter if you have oily skin and I decided to try it out. I personally liked the feeling of it, but I still trust general consensus more.
However I have been using topical retinol which has dried out my skin. I'm wondering whether that means I can use Shea Butter confidently now?

I've used shea butter on my oily acne-prone skin with no problems. You should be fine. Shea butter is not comedogenic.

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 10/05/2018 4:02 pm

I would suggest you use something with ceramides, they are excellent in repairing the skin.

MemberMember
(@barba)

Posted : 10/23/2018 8:32 am

You can use shea butter as long it's natural one. I mean 100% pure, without parabens, synthetic fragnance etc.

MemberMember
(@dermagreens)

Posted : 10/23/2018 10:30 am

Shea butter is good for acnebecause it is rich in antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. But I think it's too heavy for acne. And yes as stated above you would only want it to be unrefined SB.When I used a Retinoid is was so drying, I assume you're experiencing the same. Rosehip, Grapeseed are great for moisture as well and aren't quite as rich as SB.

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 11/08/2018 2:09 pm

I don't see a problem with it! If it helps the dryness and doesn't make you break out, go for it :)