Notifications
Clear all

On Spiro & Birth Control - all of a sudden my hair and skin became oily again

MemberMember
(@lmorganc)

Posted : 09/28/2018 8:02 pm

So a year ago I started taking Spironolactone 100mg and Birth control. I had really oily skin, VERY oily, and my acne was hormonal, around the jaw, cheeks and my chin. It took about four months for me to see results. I have had nice clear skin for about 6 months and the oil isn't there anymore and I don't even have to was my hair all the time because i have a less oily scalp. Well all of a sudden this week my hair and face got super oily again and i got one cystic pimple on my chin. I was so happy before, because i had nice skin and literally all of sudden this happened. So I don't know if i need a stronger dose of spironolactone or what, but It just really upset me this week. Any help would be appreciated

MemberMember
(@19patel99)

Posted : 09/29/2018 10:38 am

I think you should ask your dermatologist to up your spiro dose; your body may have adjusted to it. If that doesn't work, it could be your birth control. Can I ask what birth control you are on and if you had an initial break out? I'm on yasmin right now and going through a pretty rough time.

MemberMember
(@lmorganc)

Posted : 09/29/2018 12:50 pm

19patel99,My birth control is ortho tri-cylcen, I didn't have any flare ups really when I started these two meds together. It just took a long time to work. Then When it was working I had two minor flare ups, but it wasn't the same kind of acne that I used to get.