Notifications
Clear all

Activated Charcoal Mask Bad Reaction

MemberMember
(@iris629)

Posted : 09/25/2018 4:27 pm

Hey everyone! This is my first post and I wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything like this, I cant seem to find any information online. So the day before yesterday I applied a DIY activated charcoal mask that was made of activated charcoal, jojoba oil, and water. I left it on my face for about 10 mins and as soon as I felt it dry I washed it off. After the I washed the mask off the skin around my nose, chin, and between my te Ross was red, burning, and inflamed. It looked like there was charcoal powder still in my pores, so I washed my face and exfoliated, which burned in the areas where my pores were clogged. Its been 2 days and my skin is still red and inflamed (no pain bough) and I have white heads in the areas that are red!

I tried searching online for others that have had similar experiences but nothing came up.

I did read about skin purging after facials but Im not sure if this is whats happening to me or if I should see a dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@silavana)

Posted : 09/26/2018 12:14 pm

Sorry, that happened to you. It's often hard to predict what will happen when you are trying something new. It may work just fine for someone else and not for you. It seems counterintuitive, but if your skin is well hydrated or just cleansed, it could have absorbed more of the problem ingredient than expected.

You can try a hydrocortisone cream or a product such as Aquaphor or Vaseline to soothe your skin. Be gentle with your skin until the redness goes away.

Hope this helps.