Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schmoe

Just did a 12.5% TCA Peel, Need Some Advice

Hello all,

I did a 12.5% TCA peel on Friday night. I kind of wish that I had started with a lower percentage now, as my skin is a red, peely mess. I did a patch test on my temple first, but apparently my temple skin is MUCH thicker than the rest of my face sad.gif This peel seems to have went ALOT deeper than I was expecting eusa_doh.gif

Anyway, I've read through several hundred TCA peel posts here and I think I'm doing all of the aftercare correctly, but I just want to make sure. I would appreciate any advice on these five points/questions.

1) I take two showers a day, each time gently cleaning my face with a bar of Dove(not the actual bar, I lather up my hands and wash with the lather). These two showers are the only time I wash my face each day, one in the morning and one at night.

2) After exiting the shower, I pat my face dry and then let the skin dry for an hour or so, and then slather on Vaseline.(I allow the hour so as not to trap any water under the vaseline)

3) I'm doing my best to avoid anything that will pull the loose skin off, but it seems to come off when I shower and when I apply the Vaseline. Also, I sleep on my side and even though I've been going to sleep on my back I always end up turning over with my face resting on the pillow sad.gif Anyone else have this problem?

4) I think I'm applying too much Vaseline. Tonight after my shower/face wash, my skin was still coated with a sheet of Vaseline. Apparently, I had so much on that it made my skin "waterproof" eusa_doh.gif What is the proper amount? Or is it okay to put on this much?

5) I'm also worried that the Dove might have "mixed" with the Vaseline, so that I now have drying soap on with the Vaseline. Is that possible?

I just pray that I don't have any "extra" scars from this peel, as it went pretty deep. MANY thanks for any help and for all of the great info you folks have supplied here.

Hello all,

I did a 12.5% TCA peel on Friday night. I kind of wish that I had started with a lower percentage now, as my skin is a red, peely mess. I did a patch test on my temple first, but apparently my temple skin is MUCH thicker than the rest of my face  sad.gif This peel seems to have went ALOT deeper than I was expecting  eusa_doh.gif

Anyway, I've read through several hundred TCA peel posts here and I think I'm doing all of the aftercare correctly, but I just want to make sure. I would appreciate any advice on these five points/questions.

1)I take two showers a day, each time gently cleaning my face with a bar of Dove(not the actual bar, I lather up my hands and wash with the lather). These two showers are the only time I wash my face each day, one in the morning and one at night.

2) After exiting the shower, I pat my face dry and then let the skin dry for an hour or so, and then slather on Vaseline.(I allow the hour so as not to trap any water under the vaseline)

3) I'm doing my best to avoid doing anything to pull the loose skin off, but it seems to come off when I shower and when I apply the Vaseline. Also, I sleep on my side and even though I've been going to sleep on my back I always end up turning over with my face resting on the pillow  sad.gif  Anyone else have this problem?

4) I think I'm applying too much Vaseline. Tonight after my shower/face wash, my skin was still coated with a sheet of Vaseline. Apparently, I had so much on that it made my skin "waterproof"  eusa_doh.gif  What is the proper amount? Or is it okay to put on this much?

5) I'm also worried that the Dove might have "mixed" with the Vaseline, so that I now have drying soap on with the Vaseline. Is that possible?

I just pray that I don't have any "extra" scars from this peel, as it went pretty deep. MANY thanks for any help and for all of the great info you folks have supplied here.

Hi, what brand peel did you use? I was wanting to know what % to start out at, cause im used to bufferd peels, so this whent pretty deep huh? Maybe i will start out at 8% then.

Dove soap is a notorious pore clogger. It screwed up my face royally. If you still have active acne, I would switch soaps.

Thanks Robert. I don't usually wash with Dove, but I thought it might be gentler than any other cleanser after the peel. I have noticed that I've been getting a few tiny little whiteheads though, and I rarely break out.

I think the breakouts might be caused by the Vaseline more than the Dove. I decided to dump the Dove for a liquid cleanser and dump the vaseline for moisturizing lotion, so maybe that will lessen the breakouts.

Now that my skin is mostly-peeled, I'm finding that the results are a bit disappointing. Scars look maybe 10% better(if that), and from what I understand, these results will fade over a short time. I was using a nightly AHA cream for a few years and got much better results with that.