Notifications
Clear all

How long does it take for dianette to work

MemberMember
(@pucegaze)

Posted : 09/18/2018 10:50 am

I am 18 and I have had mild acne since i was 15. I went on minocycline last October and was on it until the end of May this year. At the start I didnt see any difference and then from December till May my skin started to improve (still wasnt the best but good) and I was happy so I just stayed on it until the end of May. Then my doctor told me not to go on minocylcine for summer because he said that the sun would improve it and my skin should defiantly be cleared by the end of summer. I went to Spain at the end of August and when I came back it got very bad. I went to the doctor again so he decided to put me on dianette. Ive been on dianette now for almost 3 weeks and my skin has just been getting worse than better.Ive got red marks and loads of whiteheads all over my cheeks and on my chin. Im so upset and feel so self conscious whenever I go out. Is it normal to be breaking out a lot when starting dianette? I just hate the way how my skin is looking at the moment:( please tell me what I should do thanks

MemberMember
(@lizsloves19)

Posted : 09/18/2018 8:13 pm

You have to be patient just like with the minocycline. It can take months (anywhere from 3 to 6 months) to start seeing a difference in your acne with birth control or any other kind of medication. It's normal to first breakout when you start birth control or any other acne medication. It takes time for your body to adjust to the new hormones. Way more than 3 weeks. In my experience, it takes my body about 3-4 packs of a new birth control to finally adjust to it. I would recommend using the birth control for about 3-4 months and see how your body reacts. If by the third or fourth month your acne is still getting worse, then maybe this isn't the right birth control for your body. You should wait it out and see how it goes. In the meantime, I highly suggest using a topical treatment. Your doctor can prescribe a retinoid or an antibiotic to help with your acne. Birth control alone won't cure your acne, you need topical treatments to speed up the process.

MemberMember
(@pucegaze)

Posted : 09/19/2018 10:12 am

Thank you so so much! I did buy the acnecide 5% gel and used it a couple of times but then when I told the doctor about it he just said to me that those creams are just useless and it dries up your skin very much so theres no point.