Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shaymay

Retinol - dont know if I should continue

I was prescribed retin-a 0.1% strength. I was given this as I apparently have over active oil glands and hormonal issues since I break out on my chin. I’ve only been using it once a week for about a month and a half because my skin is really sensitive. I broke out really really bad 2 weeks ago (worst I ever have), had to get steroid injection because it was so inflamed and she said to continue the Retin a. Plus the BP wash she gave me and an antibiotic. I used the Retin a again but I just feel like I am breaking out worse than I ever have and I don’t know if it’s from that or if it would have happened anyways and I feel discouraged from using this product anymore. I want to quit it but I don’t know if it’s the cause or not... any thoughts? I don’t know if it’s worth it even if it’s a “purging” phase as I only got 1 once in a while now it’s been continuously a new pimple (cyst like) for the past 2 frickin weeks

0.1% is really strong... I wonder if you might do better with 0.025% or 0.05%, but using it more often? Could you possibly ask your dermatologist about this? When I tried using 0.1% I literally never adjusted to it, and it just made me inflamed and flaky, which made me break out more.

Edited by BookBunny