Notifications
Clear all

Skipping placebo week, effects on acne?

MemberMember
(@yasminexra)

Posted : 09/16/2018 7:51 am

Hi,

I've been on Yasmin (birth control) for 6 months now. And I notice that I always break out around my placebo week.

My GA told me that skipping my placebo week would solve the problem. My fear is that it will aggravate it even more since there is no week for everything underneath my skin to come out (if that makes sense?). Also sooner or later I have to take a placebo week, so won't I have acne anyways?

If anyone have experience with skipping your ''period'' week on birth control. Did it make your acne worse? better? the same?
Even if you're in the same situation as me please share whether it's normal to still break out on birth control and what I can do.

Thank you so much in advance :)

MemberMember
(@lizsloves19)

Posted : 09/16/2018 8:54 am

I think if you were recommended to skip the placebo week, you should try skipping it one month and see what happens the next month you don't skip. You may be sensitive to the sudden hormone drop that comes with the placebo week. Another suggestion would to take a birth control that shortens the placebo week like Yaz or Mircette. There is also Seasonique where you only get your period 4 times a year and the placebo week are not actually sugar pills but low dose estrogen pills. All those may be good options for you if you breakout during the placebo week.

MemberMember
(@yasminexra)

Posted : 09/16/2018 1:28 pm

4 hours ago, LizsLoves19 said:

I think if you were recommended to skip the placebo week, you should try skipping it one month and see what happens the next month you don't skip. You may be sensitive to the sudden hormone drop that comes with the placebo week. Another suggestion would to take a birth control that shortens the placebo week like Yaz or Mircette. There is also Seasonique where you only get your period 4 times a year and the placebo week are not actually sugar pills but low dose estrogen pills. All those may be good options for you if you breakout during the placebo week.

Thank you, your advice was very helpful.
I'm considering starting accutane if my acne doesn't clear up before the end of this year. So I think it will be exactly enough to experiment whether I'll break out when skipping the placebo week. It's just that I want to know whether people have experience before I try skipping it. Also, I notice that I do get random (small) pimples, which I don't complain about at all compared to my normal breakouts around the placebo weeks. But doesn't that mean that the bc just doesn't clear me up 100%?

Starting a new pill will be hard. I'm to traumatized because of my initial breakout on this pill I'm afraid to go through that again. Also I don't know what would be the right timing to go off this bc.
Let's say skipping the placebo week doesn't work and even worsens my acne. And I decide to go off bcc. Should I do that while on accutane? after?
I'm asking so many queteions sorry hehe

MemberMember
(@lizsloves19)

Posted : 09/16/2018 5:10 pm

In my personal experience, birth control alone is not going to cure your acne. But keep in mind two things about my body, my acne is not hormonal and I amnot sensitive to hormonal changes. If your acne is hormonal, I would recommend to keep using the pill and experimenting with the placebo week. Keep in mind that it may take months (3-6) to start noticing significant changes. The other advice would be to ask your doctor for a topical treatment. There are so many. There are retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics, dapsone, etc. I'm sure the doctor can recommend one that might be good for you. If your acne is hormonal you can also try spironolactone. Well, if you decide to get on Accutane remember that you have to use two forms of birth control and they will probably put you on the pill anyway. I think that would be a good time to switch if you really wanted to. Hopefully, that's helpful.