Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, I’m 14 years old supposedly struggling with hormonal acne. I’ve got spots and blackheads on my forehead, acne scars on my cheeks, whiteheads and blackheads on my nose and clogged pores pretty much everywhere.

I’ve considered using AHA and BHA peels by The Ordinary as I’ve heard chemical peels really benefit your skin. I was wondering if they really work or if they make things worse. Has anyone tried chemical peels or are there alternatives?

I've tried chemical peels in the past at my dermatologist, and I have mixed feelings. If you're already on some prescription topicals, they'll probably ask you to go off of them for maybe a week before and after the chemical peel. This was problematic for me because I was on Tazorac, which supposedly causes breakouts when you first go on it/go off then back on. So it did not really benefit me to go off of Tazorac long enough to get a chemical peel, only to have new breakouts form once I resumed use of Tazorac.

That being said, if you aren't on those topicals, chemical peels might do you some good. I noticed that my acne dried up and cleared away sooner when I got one. I don't think they prevent new breakouts, but they help clear away current breakouts, which prevents scarring as well. I've heard they're good for past scars as well. Hope this helps!

Since they exfoliate your skin, it may seem to get worse initially, as the peel will bring stuff from the inside to the surface. In the long run, you will probably see some benefit. They are a good complement to other treatments. If you do try it, please post an update.

Chemical peels such as AHA are primarily used for getting rid of hyperpigmentation. BHA are used for acne such as closed comedones etc. Your face will get hella dry and crusty if you dont use a good moisturizer though. BHA helps with blackheads, clogged pores and acne. Got to stick with it and not quit if you experience bad breakout. 4 months is estimated time.