Notifications
Clear all

Accutane or birth control?

MemberMember
(@prettyhorn)

Posted : 09/14/2018 3:31 pm

Ive been off Accutane for 8 months with no hiccups or anything. I was used to tiny pimples that would appear once in a while and disappear the next day. However, recently Ive started breaking out heavily again from before. I believe I am relasping as my acne from my body is back as well. Now my friend reccommended I try birth control since that was never an option my dermatologist gave me during our trial and error of acne medications. Is it wiser for me to go back on accutane?

MemberMember
(@lavenderhummingbird)

Posted : 09/24/2018 7:37 pm

As far as I know, birth control really mostly just helps if your acne is hormonal. When I went to the derm they never gave me the option of birth control since that's not the primary purpose of birth control. An OBGYN told me that it helps with acne sometimes though. When I was on BC it didn't make a big difference with my acne, and the derm I went to recommended that I try Accutane (which I haven't yet tried).
If you don't want to go back on Accutane, there are probably some other options your derm could suggest!