Notifications
Clear all

Is there any procedure that can regenerate a top layer of skin?

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 09/10/2018 8:12 pm

I was wondering if there is any procedure that would be able to regenerate a top layer of skin from an abrasion type wound?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/11/2018 10:55 pm

@mjg713This is a scarless healing topic "regenerate." You can try silicone patches (long term scar approach) or a gel like strataderm over it and see if the skin recovers underneath, it's a very slow process. This is only after the scar has fallen off and you have fresh skin,... some occlude first with something like a vaseline or tripple antibiotic cream. Some find castor oil healing to young scars. Retin A can be helpful but not on fresh wounds. It can take up to a year to heal these things.

Typically abrasions heal will but it just takes alot of time. A moist wound is a happy wound.

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 09/14/2018 10:36 pm

On 9/11/2018 at 11:55 PM, beautifulambition said:
@mjg713This is a scarless healing topic "regenerate." You can try silicone patches (long term scar approach) or a gel like strataderm over it and see if the skin recovers underneath, it's a very slow process. This is only after the scar has fallen off and you have fresh skin,... some occlude first with something like a vaseline or tripple antibiotic cream. Some find castor oil healing to young scars. Retin A can be helpful but not on fresh wounds. It can take up to a year to heal these things.

Typically abrasions heal will but it just takes alot of time. A moist wound is a happy wound.

Can I apply a Hydrocortisone cream to help with redness?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/16/2018 9:36 am

You can try,... If it's a young wound I would not apply it on the abrasion as it can inhibit natural healing. Inflammation is part of the healing process. Silicone could be beneficial to a scar like this as you state you want to regenerate the top layer. But if it's a young scar a wet wound is a happy wound hence the advice above. Road rash on a leg can take time to heal. Please see a dermatologist if your overly concerned.

BA

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 09/17/2018 2:06 pm

On 9/16/2018 at 10:36 AM, beautifulambition said:

You can try,... If it's a young wound I would not apply it on the abrasion as it can inhibit natural healing. Inflammation is part of the healing process. Silicone could be beneficial to a scar like this as you state you want to regenerate the top layer. But if it's a young scar a wet wound is a happy wound hence the advice above. Road rash on a leg can take time to heal. Please see a dermatologist if your overly concerned.

BA

Thank you, do you think Silicone is better than just applying Aquaphor? If so, what is a good brand of Silicone?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/18/2018 11:18 am

@mjg713Aquaphor is fine. Do that for a month or a little after, ... you start Silicone on ongoing scars after that.

Any brand of silicone scar liquid will work.

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 09/18/2018 6:45 pm

7 hours ago, beautifulambition said:
@mjg713Aquaphor is fine. Do that for a month or a little after, ... you start Silicone on ongoing scars after that.

Any brand of silicone scar liquid will work.

So I have been using the silicone for just 2 days now and already notice a drastic improvement! I am very surprised because I always thought silicone was for hypertrophic scars. The wound is 2 months old at this point.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/19/2018 11:43 am

@mjg713It occludes and makes the body heal itself. Like those hydrogel bandages, They use them after any surgery procedure on the wound.

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 09/20/2018 8:30 pm

On 9/19/2018 at 12:43 PM, beautifulambition said:
@mjg713It occludes and makes the body heal itself. Like those hydrogel bandages, They use them after any surgery procedure on the wound.

What would be the best thing to put on the pink pigmentation left over (2 months post injury)? Or is it just a waiting game?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/21/2018 6:59 pm

@mjg713Waiting game, ... you can try some cortisone mixed with lotion (if it's been some time since you first got the wounds), derms might give you a steriod. But red means healing, and they don't want to stop that. We can heal for many months. Look at the PIE treatments under skin in the FAQ of more ideas.

BA

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 09/22/2018 12:44 pm

17 hours ago, beautifulambition said:
@mjg713Waiting game, ... you can try some cortisone mixed with lotion (if it's been some time since you first got the wounds), derms might give you a steriod. But red means healing, and they don't want to stop that. We can heal for many months. Look at the PIE treatments under skin in the FAQ of more ideas.

BA

Mederma was recommended to me, would this help at all? I always thought Mederma was a scam.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/22/2018 5:05 pm

https://oureverydaylife.com/225119-active-ingredients-in-mederma.html

Onion (slight lightening) and Aloe Vera.

Hence My rec for Silicone Gel, hydrogel, or occlusion.

Many paths to the same goal. Mederma does not work for some, ... it's occlusion.