Notifications
Clear all

I give up.

MemberMember
(@dudewithbadacne)

Posted : 09/10/2018 4:57 pm

I have facial acne, and I feel like giving up.

First of all, let me tell you a little about myself: I™m a healthy, 18 year old male. I™m active, fit and go to the gym every morning. I eat extremely healthy: fruit, vegetables, nuts, organic dried fruit, green supplements, no processed foods or unhealthy sugars, rarely eat meat, and absolutely no dairy. I drink lots of water. 

As far as a skincare routine, I™ve tried every thing imaginable: Proactiv (until my skin flaked like snow falling on a winter morning), tea tree oil (until I had huge boils), Bentonite face mask (until my face felt as dry as the Sahara desert), and finally the worst, witch hazel (which caused 15+ boil/cysts that hurt so much). My current "treatment" - I shouldn't even call it that because I don't think it even does anything - is to palm wash my face with soap and water two times a day + shower once a day. I then apply topical Proactiv a few times a day. I change my pillowcase nightly.

Despite all of this, I still have stupid acneI long for the days when the worst of my troubles were a few whiteheads. How spoiled I was. Nowadays, it's mainly cystic-like acne that forms on my cheeks and jawline. It's not that noticeable, but it hurts. What are noticeable are the scars. I'm told I'm a handsome person, but to me, my face looks like a bulldozer ran over it in a gravel pit. Whether I try to pop my pimples or not, it still leaves a nasty scar.

It's at the point now where I feel self-conscious when I leave the house. Despite being a very outgoing person (which I use to hide my acne anxiety), I™m afraid to talk to girls because I™m concerned about how I look. I feel like people are looking at me and my acne. I even dab on a bit of *ahem* makeup to cover the worst of the red scars.

So, please. I don™t know what to do. I've tried everything imaginable. I've exhausted Google scouring for "remedies." The thing is though, I'm afraid to try any of them. One site says a certain treatment is the elixir of life and the other site says to avoid it like the plague.

I don't even know why I'm posting this. Maybe it's for emotional support from people who've been in the same situation as me - someone to tell me it'll pass and I'll make it out the other side. Maybe it's a plea for help from someone who figured out how to clear this type of acne and scars. I don't know.

All I know is that I feel like giving up.

IMG_9930.thumb.JPG.d2c00efc822016d8489a619179ad17f1.JPG

MemberMember
(@krackkid)

Posted : 09/10/2018 11:35 pm

Yo bro I know how you feel, I'm 24 and my face go ran over by a 18 wheeler 50 tonne truck. Go to a doctor, she will give you like duac acne gel, or benzoyl peroxide. Also she will give you doxycycline pills. If that doesn't work go see a dermatologist via your doctor. Stay strong bro. 

MemberMember
(@vulneraryrain)

Posted : 09/11/2018 12:15 am

Wait.. you wash your face with soap??? Thats extemely harsh for the skin. I suggest a mild cleanser thats non comedogenic like the acne.org one and probably should go on the regimen and try BP and see if that works. Dont use the acne.org moisturizer though it isnt good with BP gotta find a moisturizer thats more moisturizing.

MemberMember
(@silavana)

Posted : 09/13/2018 1:43 pm

You could also try washing your face with one of the micellar cleansing waters. Just swipe your face with a few cotton balls of the stuff. It's super gentle. Sometimes I only wash my face at night, either the water or gentle cleanser depending on its state, and just rinse in the morning. And you should still be moisturizing.

Also, remember that everyone's skin is different, so that is why you often see conflicting opinions. One other piece of advice I have is to not try too many new things at once, or you'll never know which one is working. It's possible a combination will get you the best results, but you should add new things in one at a time.
Good luck.
MemberMember
(@lhong)

Posted : 09/13/2018 7:20 pm

Hey!! I know that you feel like giving up. I understand how you feel. I am suffering the same as you are right now. I can't say that I have no feeling for giving up because I have it spinning in my head now and then. However, I keep saying to myself when I get that kind of feeling that it will be alright. Keep being positive. Things will get better. Back then, I cried alone and walked back to see myself in the mirror. Crying badly and sadly on how my face turned into pizza. So I barely look at the mirror now a day. It helps and you should try avoid mirror. I don't think I am helping but I try to say that don't worry. You have me that experinced the same and feel free to talk it out.

MemberMember
(@19patel99)

Posted : 09/13/2018 7:43 pm

Hi; I've been losing hope each day too, but please remember that every problem has a solution! Looking at your acne, it seems as though you have taken a very mild approach. I would schedule an appointment with your dermatologist and look into a course of antibiotics as well as a topical retinoid. Also avoiding dairy could help with inflammation! These things helped to keep my quite clear until I pulled a dick move and went on birth control- hormonal acne is almost impossible to get rid of!

MemberMember
(@dead4u)

Posted : 09/13/2018 8:10 pm

It's hard because you can't enjoy/eat the food you love thinking of acne and then regret eating
basically everything too much salt too much sugur no bread no spicy food GODDAMMIT ugh being vegan helped me but it's far from over being genetic it sucks :/ 

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 09/14/2018 1:43 pm

Ahhh this sounds like me 9 months ago....I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this! I urge you to try Rodan and Fields Unblemish - after 15 years of cystic acne and a LOT of wasted money, this has gotten rid of my cystic acne. My skin is clear and no longer huts anymore..let me know if you have any questions; I swear by it.

MemberMember
(@lizsloves19)

Posted : 09/15/2018 10:53 pm

Trust me when I say this, I completely understand how you feel. I am 22 years old and I still struggle from mild to moderate acne since I was 11. Like you, it affects my self-esteem and gives me depression and anxiety as well. What makes it even worse is that you seem to be doing everything right and the acne just does not go away. I've been there all my life, trust me.

My advice would be to first, gain a little self-confidence. I know this is easier said than done, but it's really essential to love yourself. No matter what your skin looks like you are still an amazing person. My other advice would be to try some new products out. I highly suggest you try a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and Differin (you no longer need a prescription, yay!). Using a gentle face wash like Cetaphil if you have sensitive skin or one with salicylic acid if you have oily skin. Don't forget to use a face scrub either a few times a week either. Since your diet already seems to be perfect, I don't know if taking a daily multivitamin would help. Fish oil capsules can be beneficial too if you aren't getting enough omega-3s in your diet. I would say to give it a few months because it usually takes 3-6 months for acne to start clearing, unfortunately. If you don't see a change in a few months, consider going to a dermatologist. Dermatologists can prescribe you retinoids and antibiotics that are probably more powerful than otc products.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/16/2018 3:44 pm

Most of what you use seems to be over the counter. It may be time to see a dermatologist if things are not getting better. They can prescribe topicals that are stronger. Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@dizzy96)

Posted : 09/16/2018 5:19 pm

Your acne is perfect (for lack of a better term) for Accutane. I just joined and made a big post by how Accutane was the only thing that worked and my acne (closed comedones) isn't even indicated for Accutane. Your acne, on the other hand, which as you described it as being cystic is very much indicated for Accutane. The only regret I have with Accutane is that I didn't go on it sooner and wasted several years trying this and that. I'm currently 100 days into a 150-day prescription and I have zero acne. If you haven't seen a Derm yet go see one ASAP! I imagine they'd put you on Accutane at your first visit.

MemberMember
(@nino00)

Posted : 09/16/2018 5:34 pm

Hi.Try taking vitamin D3 with magnesium for absorption, it worked for me and can't hurt to try. Take care and don't give up, it gets better :) 

MemberMember
(@nettie25)

Posted : 09/16/2018 11:04 pm

I started using magnesium oil mixed with sweet orange oil topically about 2 months ago. My skin has gone from like a 1 to 8.5 in 2 months. Im 32 and have tried everything imaginable over the past 17/18 years. My skin is almost perfect now.