Notifications
Clear all

Skin colored bumps that have been present for years (with pictures)

MemberMember
(@getyerya-yasout)

Posted : 09/09/2018 5:07 pm

Hello.

For the past 2 years I've had what I believe to be acne scars on my nose and they absolutely drive me crazy :/. They're very noticeable and will not go away. My acne has nearly gone away entirely but these unfortunately still remain. I drink plenty of water and avoid sodas and junk food and I always keep my face clean to my best abilities. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I hope someone has an answer to what this is and how I can get rid of it. 

Thanks20180909_165537.thumb.jpg.e82b50f8f27fb04157444f3a36f6a113.jpg20180909_163744.thumb.jpg.d864f883205adc6ad7cd59b9e71931eb.jpg20180909_164137.thumb.jpg.028fe5a31225caec0c3382a68c1a33c5.jpg20180909_164457.thumb.jpg.94397bf303dfce36df055ba7486c2a06.jpg20180909_164444.thumb.jpg.445fc11610f41de6a98ae9d893b6bcb0.jpg

MemberMember
(@zafirah)

Posted : 09/10/2018 2:11 am

Can you see any pores on the scars? Are they red and raised like an extra growth?

-

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/10/2018 5:35 pm

Storied injections, erbium resurfacing, and co2 laser are done for this. Steriod injections can be done at the very least by a derm. Some at home try a microneedling device to stamp them first, doing light peels,and occlude them with a liquid silicone, takes many treatments. Laser of course is more effective.

MemberMember
(@abraxas21)

Posted : 09/11/2018 10:02 pm

Hello,

I actually have a similar problem on my nose. However, since I went on isotretinoin the bumps decreased in size quite a bit and now they're not very noticeable so I am not too worried about them. HoweverI have always kind of wanted to get rid ofthem. Anyway, the fact that isotretinoin helped coupled with the fact that my bumps tend to get bigger when my skin is oilier makes me think this is sebaceous hyperplasia. If that it is the case, some people have claimed success with electrocautery or with electrosurgery. Basically the bumps are shaved off (or at least that's what I understand). You can check this thread for a success story:

Other people have claimed success with TCA cross. However, that might be a bit risky. Same with steroid injections. If too much is injected a pit might occurr, which I think it might be a likely possibility in my case as the bumps are pretty soft to the touch. I don't think there is much tissue underneath. It's probably mostly sebaceus gland. Anyway, you might want to look into this threads:

https://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/228948-bump-on-nose-the-saga-continues/

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 12/06/2018 3:45 am

@abraxas21

how's your Sebacious Hyperplasia doing with the oral isotret? are they totally gone?

MemberMember
(@abraxas21)

Posted : 12/07/2018 8:20 am

On 12/6/2018 at 5:45 AM, poorbunny888 said:

@abraxas21

how's your Sebacious Hyperplasia doing with the oral isotret? are they totally gone?

I took it years ago as a means to clear up my acne. Unexpectedly it also helped quite a bit with the bumps. However, it didn't totally fade them away. I can still feel them and even see them depeding on the lighting.

Years after I put some topical isotret but I don't think that made any difference at all.

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 12/11/2018 11:07 pm

Hi abraxas21

thanks so much for responding. May I know how big is your Sebacious Hyperplasia lesions prior to oral isotret?

i might re-think of doing oral isotret since the side effect might do more harm than the SH. i did cautery and CO2 laser in the past but it's not satisfactory hence, i'd like to try other methods. my SH are small sizes but quite many. they appear after i use wrong skincare so i'm not sure of the genetic side since i recall none of my family members have it. after the cautery and CO2 laser, most of them just reduced in size though they start as small bumps already. only few succesfully removed and no recurring effect 1.5years up to now. even some are missed by the doctor (who refused to do retouch afterwards). even these small (looks like easy) bumps are ain't small matters when it comes to skin issue #sic

MemberMember
(@abraxas21)

Posted : 12/11/2018 11:58 pm

48 minutes ago, poorbunny888 said:

Hi abraxas21

thanks so much for responding. May I know how big is your Sebacious Hyperplasia lesions prior to oral isotret?

i might re-think of doing oral isotret since the side effect might do more harm than the SH. i did cautery and CO2 laser in the past but it's not satisfactory hence, i'd like to try other methods. my SH are small sizes but quite many. they appear after i use wrong skincare so i'm not sure of the genetic side since i recall none of my family members have it. after the cautery and CO2 laser, most of them just reduced in size though they start as small bumps already. only few succesfully removed and no recurring effect 1.5years up to now. even some are missed by the doctor (who refused to do retouch afterwards). even these small (looks like easy) bumps are ain't small matters when it comes to skin issue #sic

They were probably about 1/2-3/4 the size of the ones displayed in the OP's pictures. After about three months of oral isotret they decreased by about half of their original size.

I'd have taken oral isotret again just to further reduce the bumps but the side effects were quite unpleasant for me, so I decided against it.

MemberMember
(@poorbunny888)

Posted : 12/13/2018 4:18 am

@beautifulambition

I read your response above "...Some at home try a microneedling device to stamp them first, doing light peels,and occlude them with a liquid silicone"

I do plan to do microneedling at home and within the needling area, there is the Sebacious Hyperplasia. I thought it's not adviced to needle on any kind of bump as it might aggravate and spread them. Does needling actually help in improving even perhaps diminish the appearance of Sebacious Hyperplasia. Also what is liquid silicone? I thought of using topical retinaldehyde directly after stamping or if my skin could not tolerate, i'd apply Aquaphor which is semi-occlusive

@abraxas21

thanks! my SH are much smaller and perhaps with oral isotret, they would most likelycompletely gone but definitely would look for another much safer alternatives

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/16/2018 8:52 am

@poorbunny888This is because I feel he has keloids and needs dilute steriod injections to them. Then laser for any resurfacing and silicone pads can be placed on bumps to make them go down. Seb hyper.... does not typically look like that, it doughnuts if you look at the pics. Yes in that case hyfecator or electrosurgery can be done or laser to release the plug.

Sebaceous hyer.... is not a infected bump, ... it's trapped sebum in a folicle with a plug, It's always better to have a Dr do laser to them or electorsurgery.

Liquid silicone is for scars, sold anywhere in the scar section. Silicone is used with keloids to make them go down with time.

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 12/31/2018 5:42 am

I actually have something similar, but they are located on my forehead. I initially thought they were hardened whiteheads because of the white colour.

They look very similar to the original poster white bumps.

A question for Beautiful Ambition - What are those white bumps on the original poster's picture? Are they Keloids or hypertrophic scars? I have ice picks mixed in there as well.

I'm reluctant to use silicone gel because that might cause me to breakout. Luckily Accutane has cleared up all acne and I don't want to clog my pores.

I'm very lucky I have a lot of hair and can cover my forehead. However I'm 35 and my hair may not last forever.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/02/2019 9:18 am

@ScarRightWhat you would have with your age, race, and geographic location, and the key forhead is probablySebaceous hyperplasia. These are bumps with trapped sebum. Come call them benign cancer growths. As we get older oil gets trapped in them and a plug keep them from releasing where a bump appears. You can get electrosurgery to them or co2 laser. Some try a tretinorin on them first.

The key here is please goto a dermatologist if you have special bumps and lumps. They can fix them. Diagnosis is especially hard online without a scope and testing. Some have keloid scars, ... other's have papuals or pustular bumps, warts, moles, and white keloids. If in doubt they can send to a lab.

Silicone does not work on trapped sebum, only keloids which are overgrowth of your own tissue, a dermatologist can tell though his scope if it's a pore or not.

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 01/02/2019 4:16 pm

6 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

@ScarRightWhat you would have with your age, race, and geographic location, and the key forhead is probablySebaceous hyperplasia. These are bumps with trapped sebum. Come call them benign cancer growths. As we get older oil gets trapped in them and a plug keep them from releasing where a bump appears. You can get electrosurgery to them or co2 laser. Some try a tretinorin on them first.

The key here is please goto a dermatologist if you have special bumps and lumps. They can fix them. Diagnosis is especially hard online without a scope and testing. Some have keloid scars, ... other's have papuals or pustular bumps, warts, moles, and white keloids. If in doubt they can send to a lab.

Silicone does not work on trapped sebum, only keloids which are overgrowth of your own tissue, a dermatologist can tell though his scope if it's a pore or not.

Thank you Beautiful Ambition. Unfortunately, my dermatologist who is not the greatest thought they were acne, but the Accutane had no effect on these. And Accutane cleared up everything else and I don't get breakouts anymore.

A doctor from a beauty clinic thinks they are scars. However, Keloids and hypertrophic scars are rarely white. These were never red.

Interesting you mentioned sebaceous hyperplasia. I might get a second opinion with a dermatologist in Melbourne.