Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kip412

Benzoyl Peroxide and Tretinoin

So my question is pretty simple; does benzoyl peroxide cancel out the effects of tretinoin cream, and vice versa?

Up until visiting the derm today, I've been on a pretty strict regiment of over the counter products. In the morning I'll wash my face, wipe it with salicylic acid pads, and then use a moisturizer. At night I'll wash my face, use the salicylic pads, then put on benzoyl peroxide and lotion (I also use the benzoyl peroxide on my back)

So far this has actually been working pretty well. I don't break out nearly as often as I used to, but when I do get pimples they still leave behind these dark spots that don't go away for months at a time. So to the dermatologist I went.

She prescribed me .025% tretinoin cream and 1% clindamycin phosphate, which I actually used in the past a long time ago. She said that I could use the clindamycin in the mornings and the tretinoin at night, but I've heard that (for whatever reason) tretinoin and benzoyl peroxide actually work to cancel each other out. I've ALSO read a study done in 2010 that says the opposite. Anyone out there know which is true?

Whether the case, I need advice on how to incorporate these two new factors into my skin care. Like I said, it's been improving, and I don't want to throw a wrench into the whole thing by screwing up when and how I should be applying the topicals to my face and back. The only thing I will say from the start is that applying BP in the mornings will be difficult, because I don't want to bleach my clothes. Any help would be really appreciated

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes