Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've struggled with acne since around age 12...I am now 19 and always thought I'd have it all cleared up by now but that is not the case and it's an on going battle that often feels like has no end. I started using foundations and concealers at 13 to cover the problems... I wouldnt even let my own family see me bare faced... In my own house. At age 15 I had enough and started looking into the impact of diet on acne and from that day forward I was drinking a gallon of water a day with amazing results (my face almost completely cleared) but anytime I indulge in any type of sugary, salty processed foods my face suffers greatly. My mood is entirely dependant upon how my face is doing that day and it is so completely exhausting. I haven't left my house without foundation on since I was 12..... That's 7 fucking years. My skin is so pale it holds on to ALL of the hyperpigmentation so even when my face isn't bumpy or textured it's covered in red spots from years upon years of acne, I usually get cystic acne sometimes white heads.... Currently the only thing helping me is organic jojoba oil on my face, gallon of water a day and never eating anything tasty :( but I still look in the mirror and see a face full of red spots so it's like nothing has changed or ever will and I feel so completely hopeless sometimes I just think it'd be easier to off myself and shed this mortal coil that has caused me so much pain. None of the friends I've had have struggled with acne so they wouldn't understand and I couldn't confide in them anyway because it's a problem I don't want to draw attention to.... Something I hope they'll overlook....thinking of someone other than my boyfriend seeing me without foundation is absolutely mortifying to me and I don't think I could bare it. I'm constantly checking mirrors to see if my makeup is still covering up all the skin on my face sometimes I wish I could just take a knife and slice all the skin off of my own face, this is not living it's merely existing and has made me a hermit and recluse essentially. This is the only place I felt o could vent where someone might understand. I've never had ANYONE to relate to about acne.

Hey there, how's it going? I know how it feels to be alone in the world of acne struggles. Most of my friends don't have acne, and even the ones that do, have very little. Acne hit me towards the end of my 9th year in school and hit me the hardest in year's 11 and 12. My acne was shocking then! And the reason I didn't really do anything then was simply because I had no money and my parents were struggling financially. I was also much less self-conscious. Now, in my 3rd year of university studying Engineering, the stress gets to you more, and more stress=more acne. None of my friends can relate to me and my struggles so I don't open up to them. I don't open up to anybody about my acne. I have sleepless nights thinking of what is causing my acne, perhaps dairy? perhaps a bit too much sugar? 

I'm a 20-year-old male whose 180cm tall and weighs 76kg. I go to the gym 4 times a week and try to eat as healthy as I can. I cleanse daily with an Acne face wash and then apply a spot treatment to my pimples. About a year and a half ago I got a referral to go see a dermatologist who prescribed 10mg Roaccutane tablets for me. 1 a day the first month, 2 a day the 2nd month, and 3 a day there on. I did that for a year, and that entire year I felt horrid. I could feel the weakness of my immune system. As a result, I was constantly catching the flu, migraines lasting days and worst of all, my study and social life suffered. I decided to get off it, and here I am with even more breakouts and more scarring. 

I don't know why, but I have an appointment with the same dermatologist in 2 weeks. Even with all the pain, the medicine did eventually stop my breakouts and evened out my skin tone. I'd rather suffer from being sick for 2 years than suffer having acne. You aren't alone in this struggle. 

I can completely relate to how you feel. I've struggled with acne for the past 8 years from age 18 to 26. Tried everythingggg. Accutane, prescription creams, microderm, laser, diet.  Somehow my acne always resurfaces. And I have super pale skin too so the red marks on my face last FOREVER. It has been a complete social handicap. My social anxiety is so bad i get overly anxious about going on simple errands. And I look at other people with perfect skin like howwwww whyyyy me. Anyways I am thankful that there is at least a community of people who suffer from the same thing and can be there for each other. I am so sorry you have to deal with acne, and I wish I had an answer to help take it all away. There are people who end up clearing their acne eventually after trying different things. I'm not one of those people but I still have hope. You are not alone and I wish you the best and appreciate you sharing your story. 

It could be that the makeup is making it worse. Have you ever felt saying fuck it and just be free? Yea, you might have bad acne, but you cant hide it firever you should tell your friends family to get moral support because im sure friends and family would want to help you out when your struggling. You might think of suicidal thoughts, but have you ever seen people with bad acne working at restraunt and places with alot of social interaction? I have and I think they are very strong minded and willed to be able to do that. To not be confined by acne and caging thrm, but to live free instead. Maybe you shkuld adopt that mentalilty sure some people might find disgust, but those people arent the ones that are important its the ones who stay with you. I know its hard I suffer more than you being isolated for 5 years and still afraid to go out, but I know at some point im going to have too. Its better to start early than late right? I would have reccomended you taking Accutane if its really that bad, but sinemce your feeling suicidal and depressed I wouldnt reccomend it. Stop keeping things to yourself and express how you feel to everyone around you. Be strong.

Hey @hexblade seems like your on the right track to healthier skin. You understand what triggers your skin in terms of diet which is great. It may suck having to give up unhealthy foods but your skin is talking to you trying to tell you what your skin likes and dislikes and this is key to curing your acne. The medical world say acne is incurable but thats a lie because they want to sell you pills, potions and lotions that won't be long term effective. Do you have a skincare routine that you stick to religiously? I can help you I'm not a certified dermatologist but I have suffered from severe acne myself for over 5 years before curing it and now I'm 2.5 years acne free. I can help you on your journey to curing your acne with results you can maintain because this skincare plan actually works. I have a bunch of acne tips on my instagram page @[censored]. There are alternative answers to the traditional medicine route. I know how soul destroying it can be to have bad skin just look at my profile pic but I wouldn't risk taking tablets that can have severe side effects. You said you're hopelessly depressed and accutane can make this depression worse. Please stick it out and try a different route before accutane because its expensive and it also doesn't always work the first time or even seconds. I've seen some case studies where people are on their 4th round and to me that's crazy. 

To me skincare is like weight loss. If you were to do a fad diet you may lose weight quickly but results are temporary and chances are you'll put it on and then some more. Same with skincare and acne, treatments that claim to get rid of your acne within a number of months only offer a temporary fix and then it comes back and sometimes worse. 

I hope my insta page and all the advice on there can help you or at least one person it's the reason I decided to share my skincare journey.

Remember consistency is key and it takes at least 3 months to see any kind of change in the skin and it may be very small so don't expect results over night. It's a process so trust it and allow it to happen as difficult as that may be. The first 6-8 weeks can be purging but this is normal. I used to come on here and read about other peoples acne journeys and they would say their purging phase only lasted 2-3 weeks but what I didnt understand then is everyones skin is different which means the process happens at a different rate to everyone else.

I really do hope this helped you and gives you some hope that your skin can and will get better.

Edited by Control Panel
Social media page links to a site to book an online consultation.