Notifications
Clear all

Frustrated and confused with diet

MemberMember
(@vangogi)

Posted : 09/04/2018 10:00 am

Hey to all of you! I hope some of you could give me some advice. I'm really drawing a blank at this point.

I've had acne for about 12 years, I'm 25 now. The acne I'm getting of course changed over the years and I mostly break out on both my cheeks and my jaw. I get new pimples every day or every other day when I'm lucky. I always have about 2-6 active pimples.

I tried many things but eventually I ended up reading up on how changing your diet can "fix" your skin. I have a major sweet tooth so in the beginning I only cut out gluten for about 3 months with no noticeable difference. When that didn't work I moved on to dairy. Again, no noticeable difference. It might have been a coincidence but my skin during my dairy free time was the worst it has been in a while.

Then I was frustrated enough to give the birth control pill a try. I currently live in hungary so I don't know theequivalent for it but it's 2mg dienogest and 0,03mg ethinylestradiol. The gynecologist said this pill specifically is known to help acne. I've been on it for 5 months. Again, no change.

I've finally made the jump and gave up on sugar (I still eat fruits). I'm writing up everything I eat every day. Which is mostly Chicken, broccoli, sweet potatoes, kefir, oats and strawberries. I don't know what I'm supposed to eat and I constantly feel hungry. I've been doing it for about two months with no improvements whatsoever. I still get new pimples almost every day.

I'd appreciate it so much if someone took their time to give me some advice. I'm here to learn and improve on whatever I'm doing wrong.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@eegor)

Posted : 09/06/2018 1:34 pm

I can recommend to try Low glycemic load diet with huge amount of antioxidants (like ginger, tumeric. You can make tea with them). Also you can try a caveman regimen (not wash your face/body at all). You are making everything great avoiding dairy (insted of it better buy probiotics)/gluten/sugar/fructose, but remember not eathing enough can be a cause of acne too! Drink more green tea. Avoid stress. Sleep well. Try to not perspire. + eat a lot of vegetables (especially carrots), buy omega-3 fat and zinc supplements. Also you can make a test on food intolerance. And try to avoid not organic meat(especially chicken, there are alot of antibiotics, which is bad for your body). Drink a lot water. And make sure that you have right omega-3 and omega-6 ratio

Btw. Avoid oats, they are high GI and use probiotics instead Dairy(in your situation - kefir)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/06/2018 2:44 pm

Hi Sometimes Acne has NOTHING to do with your diet If you research Google it's to do with your sebaceous glands being active and to much sebum in the skin, the skin sheds every month and a hair follicle gets trapped with bacteria Ie white heads and black heads, some people have polycystic ovarian sydrome with acne others don't. to take the oil away you need to start using a good skincare routine. What is yours like? my advice would be clean your make up brushes and change your pillowcases on a regular basis..well I have very bad acne I'm 28 now and it has been unresponsive to most medications but medication is an option things you cud try are minocycline, tetralycline, salosylic acid, other pills, benzyol peroxide, Azealic acid, Spriloactone, clindamycin,ethyromycin etc I'm on Trimethroprim as u can see my skin is very bad and it may need accutanne.

MemberMember
(@animals)

Posted : 09/06/2018 3:15 pm

Hi try to add in Anti inflammatory foods especially these 3: GINGER,TURMERIC AND *CBD OIL* (hemp oil) these helped me get rid of my acne :) Haven't broken out in like two years!
I also didn't eat ANY animal foods with antibiotics/steroids - just 100% grass fed meats, it has lots of zinc! look it up!

MemberMember
(@silavana)

Posted : 09/07/2018 11:48 am

First, I like the way you applied the scientific method and eliminated one thing at a time. @Michelle Walden is correct, sometimes it is not diet at all. Although you should continue your efforts to eliminate sugar, since you will be generally healthier if you do.

You didn't mention whether or not you have seen a dermatologist, if you haven't, you should. Review your skincare regimen, maybe it needs to be switched up. You could be drying your skin, which causes more breakout, since your body will produce more oil. If you don't want to go total caveman, try micellar water instead. Wash your face in the evening only and just rinse with water in the morning. Always use moisturize.

You may have to play with products, everyone's skin is different so it may take a while to find the winning combination. I don't know how you feel about taking medication for your acne, but it may be something to consider.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@mindfultiler)

Posted : 09/08/2018 9:56 am

I've been on the Acne.org regimen for about 9 months and I guess my skin is clear from acne due to the regimen, although I suffer from constant redness and a bit of dryness from the regimen which is not nice either.
Throughout these months I've come to the conclusion that I cant keep doing the regimen forever since even a monkey would know that it cant be good to apply Benzoyl Peroxide twice a day, every day.

I ordered "The Clear Skin Diet" book written by Alan C. Logan and Valori Treloar and they have really changed my opinion about the acne-diet debate.I want to agree with the authors that acne can be cured through diet and lifestyle but so far I've not manage to do it.

@eegorbasically described my diet and my supplements, although I have a few questions for you guys:Are Oats/Oatmeal really considered bad for acne? And how about wholegrain rye bread? Which fruits should I avoid?

MemberMember
(@vangogi)

Posted : 09/11/2018 9:52 am

On 9/7/2018 at 6:48 PM, Silavana said:

First, I like the way you applied the scientific method and eliminated one thing at a time. @Michelle Walden is correct, sometimes it is not diet at all. Although you should continue your efforts to eliminate sugar, since you will be generally healthier if you do.

You didn't mention whether or not you have seen a dermatologist, if you haven't, you should. Review your skincare regimen, maybe it needs to be switched up. You could be drying your skin, which causes more breakout, since your body will produce more oil. If you don't want to go total caveman, try micellar water instead. Wash your face in the evening only and just rinse with water in the morning. Always use moisturize.

You may have to play with products, everyone's skin is different so it may take a while to find the winning combination. I don't know how you feel about taking medication for your acne, but it may be something to consider.

Good luck.

I have been seeing different dermatologists over the past few years. Tried differin,benzoyl peroxide, antiobiotics. All of them for at least 3 months with no success.

My skincare is already pretty basic. If I have the feeling my face feels fine in the morning I will only rinse with water and use a low ph wash in the evening. I never skip moisturizer either.

MemberMember
(@vangogi)

Posted : 09/11/2018 10:07 am

On 9/6/2018 at 10:15 PM, animals said:

Hi try to add in Anti inflammatory foods especially these 3: GINGER,TURMERIC AND *CBD OIL* (hemp oil) these helped me get rid of my acne :) Haven't broken out in like two years!
I also didn't eat ANY animal foods with antibiotics/steroids - just 100% grass fed meats, it has lots of zinc! look it up!

I wish I was able to find 100% grass fed meat here... it seems like it simply isn't a thing where I live.

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 09/24/2018 10:51 am

I think oats are okay because although their GI isn't low it's the GL which is most important and that is low. So eating oats shouldn't spike your blood sugar level as it's passed through much slower. Correct me if I am wrong though.