Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arpazia

Here We Go Again

Rushing into Manhattan on a rainy Friday morning is not exactly my idea of a good time. However, I had to see this laser doctor and hopefully get the answers I wanted. That didn't happen.

I got to the office at one o'clock exactly and waited until 2:15 to see him. I was praying and crossing my fingers so much that they were sweaty and red when he shook my hand.

He took one look at me and said he wanted me back on Accutane. I discussed how badly my skin broke out on the drug and he said I can do two months of 20 mg along with Predisone for three weeks. Oh joy!!! He was so convinced that I should be on Accutane that he even offered me a hundred bucks. Regretfully, I turned him down.

We went on to discuss lasers and he said that they would work but the question remains for how long. He said that people do second courses of Accutane but he is convinced that their skin is never as bad as it was in the first place.

Needless to say, I don't want to do this again. eusa_snooty.gif Accutane made my skin break out worse than it had ever. He thinks that with the use of the steroid, this won't happen again. I am pretty upset but at least I have the rest of the 'taners as a support network.

The night ended with my fiance and I going to some bar where half-dressed women danced on the bar. This didn't make me feel any better but oh well...

Hey Arpazia,

I'm sorry that you're appointment didn't go as you wanted. But maybe I can help ease your worries about going back on Accutane. Three weeks ago I was taken off Accutane for a couple weeks put on Prednisone and it really reduced the breakout/swelling cause by my Accutane initial breakout. I've been back on Accutane for 5 days now along with a low dose of prednisone (I have five days left) and I haven't gotten a cyst since. Don't get me wrong I've gotten a few pimples but nothing compared to how I looked a few weeks ago. Please trust your doctor's advice and go back on a low dose of Accutane. It will work and we're here to support you.

Good luck.

Thank you, TML! I am happy that I have you guys since you understand how incredibly frustrating this entire thing is.

It's been two months without Accutane and my face is starting to break out again so I know there is no other option.

I forgot to add that I asked the dermatologist which parts of my face were going to scar. He was kind enough to be blunt and tell me not to worry about the majority of them - - just my right cheek.

I asked my derm about scarring as well and she said that the red marks left over from my initial breakout SHOULD fade, it just takes a while. "Should"That doesn't sound so reassuring to me. Don't worry Arpazia, at the end of Accutane if we have a lot of redness leftover there are lazer procedures to get rid of the red marks. I had this done after my first course of Accutane at 17, but that's when the gov't covered the costs. Now it's considered cosmetic. I'll have to pay for it this time, oh well. The things we do to look pretty.

We're here for you girl... I've heard good things about steriods calming down the swelling and redness during initial breakouts. Refresh me on your situation, did Accutane not work for you after a whole course, or was it just the initial breakout that was bad? Either way, you know if you ever need to vent or anything, there are tons of ppl here who know how you feel...we're all on this journey together!! There's definitely a support network goin' on here!

I also know what you girls mean about the scarring, my derm also tells me "they should fade away in time", and I'm like, SHOULD? geez. Some of my marks are quite old and they're not red anymore, they're more like a brown/purple... don't look to be fading anytime soon...

Ahhh well, we're all gonna get through this!

Mae smile.gif

Mae, I went on Accutane in late August/early September 2004. I started off on 20 mg since I was terrified of the whole suicide/depression thing since I've been hospitalized several times in the past. When the doctor upped my dose to 40 mg, I suffered a terrible breakout. I'm not sure if it was "initial" or what but it didn't stop and the cysts were so incredibly huge that all I could do was cry.

My fiance wanted to know why I kept taking medication that I couldn't afford and that was making my face break out so I went off of it. Then, GO started talking about the lasers and I thought: "that's it! my solution!"

I went to see this New York doctor who is amazing and he said the lasers would work but not as well as Accutane so here I go again!

I've been using Apple Cider Vinegar on my face, which is supposed to help with the red marks. Thus far, I see no improvement. The only thing that helps (moderately) is eating one lemon everyday. No kidding rolleyes.gif

Again, thank you guys so much. I know we will prevail and clear skin will be all about us. It just isn't happening quick enough, is it?

Arpazia, when are you planning on starting up Accutane again and what is your dosage of Prednisone? I started off with 50mg for 5 days, 40 for 5 days, 30mg for 5 days, etc....now I'm down to 10 per day until Saturday and then I'm done with it. My derm said that the prednisone would increase my appitite big time and that I might gain weight. I didn't have that problem thank goodness. I was too worried about my skin to be thinking about food all the time.

I am going to pick up the 'tane tonight along with the predisone. The doctor is starting me on 20 mg, down to 10 mg and then 5 mg and off. I am truly hoping that I don't suffer another steroid breakout again.

Speaking of weight, the only thing that I am happy about regarding going back on Accutane is the fact that I lost weight last time. However, I need to consider that I am 5'8 and 123. I don't want to look malnurished (he!)

How is the predisone working for you? Has it calmed your skin down? The last time I was on it for only a week so maybe it wasn't long enough. Who knows?

Maybe you aren't as charming as me?  Or perhaps your face doesn't look as desperate?  I would have paid him $100 to insta-cure me.  And, yes, in retrospect, I wish I had taken the money just because it isn't every day that doctor's want to pay you... lol.gif

But, no, instead, I liquidated my IRA to pay for my Accutane and all the presents that I don't want to buy for people.  Bah humbug!

Arpazia!

Sorry to hear you're having such a unfair time with it all sad.gif Its just not fair at all. I think that you'll do alright this time round. I don't know why but i can just feel it. I am month 4.5 nearly 5 months ( i think) and my skin is clear, all but two (rather large) yet dormant cysts. THey're a real pain in the ass but the rest of my skin is just red marks, which are now, just pinkish and barely noticable. I am astounded that my skin has recovered like this, with minimal scarring. My skin was dreadful ( as you've heard me complain about) and it is just amazing that my skin, a month and a half later has improved and improved and is now pretty damn good!

I suppose what i'm trying to say is, it might take a long time for it to kick in and for me, it did take until the end of 3 months, beginning of 4 months to start seeing the reuslts i wanted to see.

I am here for you if you need any kind of support at all. I know you're situation and i feel your pain sad.gif Acne is a dreadful infliction.

Keep us posted, you are an inspiration to many many accutane takers and proof that it is a really really hard struggle and rollercoaster of a ride taking accutane.

All the best hun,

Frankie x smile.gif

Honestly the Prednisone worked almost instantaneously. The day I started the prednisone my face was so sore it took me 15 minutes to wash it, two days later the swelling/redness went down so significantly and my face didn't hurt at all. It was great! I think the reason why my dose was so much higher than yours was because my derm felt sorry for me and saw my pain/frustration and knew that she had to control the swelling quickly.

Don't worry about the cost of prednisone, it's dirt cheap.....I'm not sure how much it is in the US, but in Canada without benefits it was only $10 for 150 5mg tablets.

Hi,

Dropping out of a tane course without being told so from the derm is not the right thing. There are so many ppl who want to be on tane but are forcibly asked to drop out cas thier body (cholest, trigl) etc cannot handle them.

Now that you are back, stick it thro. The init breakout thing is messy but so many ppl here have stuck it through the breakout and then had good results...

Frankie! My acne-twin!!! I am so happy to hear that finally you are clearing up!!! That is wonderful news and very inspiring to me. Yes! It has to work. There are no other options.

TML, I hope that I get the same results as you. I think I would do anything (like everyone else here) to get rid of that leftover redness and swelling. I would do anything to be able to look at myself in the mirror again.

Thank you guys so much!!!! And, emmanuel, I am certain that you are charming. I just think that your doctor didn't see it last time. Try again. Maybe you'll get a hundred bucks.

Unlucky, you're right. I wish I had listened to the derm months ago. I guess I was just convinced that I would find a better cure and one that would work immediately. I will stick it through this time. I understand that it is my only option considering acne is not an option. eusa_naughty.gif

Arpazia,

I have 100% confidence it'll work for you!!!

There were times when i lost hope and thought i would never clear up but accutane has done something bloody good!!

I have my fingers, toes AND EYES Crossed for you wink.gif

Theres a group of people on this board, i can totally relate too and have had similar experiences to mine and i thank them all a million times for helping me out (you know who you are wink.gif). We can DOO IT!!

eusa_clap.gif

I can't wait till we're all looking great and feeling great again.. ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Arpazia! so sorry about your rough time w/ the accutane and prednisone, but i think you made the best decision to give it another go and stick with it! i can completely relate to that desperate search for the "quick fix", w/ the lasers or whatever, its honestly so stressful. i went through that stage too, before beginning accutane, i just wanted it all to go away so badly. but we just have to have faith that accutane is gonna pull through for us, provided that we stick with it..its the best damn thing theyve got for acne, and has been for the past 30 years. that was what solidified my resolve to take it and stay on it. it really sucks that its such a long freakin haul (trust me i know, im beginning mnth 3 and still looking horrid w/ all the marking/redness on my poor cheeks cry.gif ) but it WORKS. its just time time time, unfortunately. but this board is a great place to come for support, information, and also for the success stories (woo FRANKIE! glad to hear about the improvement wub.gif ). i know those keep me going, along with knowing that other people are suffering as i am, especially when it seems that im constantly surrounded by these clear-skinned people. so stick w/ the tane and keep us updated with how youre doing, we're all gonna get through this and we're all here for you! take care of yourself hun, keep your head up!! - Lisa xoxo

Arp!!! I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. I didn't see that you had posted. Ok, let's break it down.

I'm surprised that the laser derm said to go back on tane but maybe he was doing you a favour. I saw the before and afters of the laser, and they were impressive. But, everyone is different so maybe his honesty saved you some money.

I'm starting to think that my acne problems are in part aggravated by my weight, my diet habits and other crap like lack of exercise. I know I know. Acne is so much more than this but i'm going to start getting my act together as a gift to myself if only to help the accutane along. Not to mention I have to bring down my cholesterol.

I have a lot of redness. But, I will continue to wear makeup cuz really it has saved me. I will have to be patient. And, I am certain, that the redness will fade for all of us.

Thirdly, we are here for you. You will do amazingly.

Fourthly, from all the other things you have said, it sounds like your boyfriend loves you a lot. So, he went and saw some boobies jumping on a bar. Don't worry about it. He came home to you. Cuz you're wonderful and he loves you.

Do you know what I want for Christmas? I want to meet and be with my soulmate. Haven't met him yet. But, maybe one Christmas I"ll get my wish smile.gif

We're proud of you Arp!!!

How long were you on Accutane initially? I know the initial flair up is tough, but its part of way Accutane works. After the flair up things do get better.

Arpazia - I don't have too much to add except that we're all here for you. I think it's wonderful that you have a great boyfriend who loves you no matter what. My dd's bf dumped her when her skin got bad. Now that it's better he's coming around again. I guess he couldn't handle it. Oh, well, they're only 17 what can I say. Anyway, I've written this before but dd went on 2 months of 10mgs/day starting in her 3rd month and one month of 5 mgs/day. Now she's off of it. It helped her so much. When she first went on prednisone she was skeptical but it cleared her up almost immediately. The weaning off process hasn't hurt her at all it seems. Now she's got a bad toe infection so she's going on a heavy dose of keflex for 10 days. Her doc says that should be good for her skin too. She's been through accutane hell with heavy breakouts and plenty of side effects but now approaching her 6th month and looking quite good except for red marks naturally. Still relying on makeup. She had a formal last week and looked gorgeous. Hang in there kiddo - you can do this.

GO, Thank you so much for all of your kind words and I believe you will get your wish. I've met several soul mates and I'm only twenty-seven. There is no drug in the entire world like falling in love...

And, you're right, he did come home with me. I guess I was just experiencing one of those self-conscious lows that us acne sufferers are so prone to. It's odd. He tells me I'm beautiful all the time and I just can't allow myself to believe him unless my complexion is perfect. (sick)

I have to believe that the doctor did what is best. He felt as if the acne would just come back and that Accutane was a sure-fire way of getting rid of it. He explained that people are going overboard with blue-light therapy and in his opinion, lasers worked better and Accutane (in my cystic case) was the best.

Andrew, I was on Accutane for only a full two months. It was probably during the tailend of the initial breakout that I became reluctant to continue. Along with the cost of Accutane, it seemed so incredibly dumb. I was convinced that the Accutane was making everything worse and I should probably stop.

Boston, I want to kick your daughter's boyfriend's ass for dumping her. I guess I forget how completely focused on image every is at that age but still, that must have done a number on the poor girl - - as if the acne isn't enough. I am very happy that she is finally clearing up and I bet she did look wonderful for the formal. She is very fortunate to have such a supportive mom!

I basically only wear make-up on the weekends anymore except today I'm covered in the Revelon that GO recommended (props to you, girl, I love it!). I am hoping the lack of foundation will help push my skin in a better direction. Sometimes I am not sure if it makes a difference.

And, just so everyone knows, I started the treatment again last night. Twenty milligrams of Accutane, 20 milligrams of steroids. Fortunately, the doctor cut me a break and gave me a prescription for ninety pills. This way, I will get reimbursed from my insurance company in four to six weeks, which is super-cool considering it cost me $524.76! This translates into people getting gifts from the dollar store this year.... eusa_shifty.gif

Boston: Your daughter's ex boyfriend is going to kick himself when he realizes he gave up someone so wonderful because of something so superficial. Teenagers are so cruel (By the way the reason why I know your daughter must be wonderful is because she has such an amazing mother ) eusa_angel.gif She'll have clear skin soon and have men flocking to her.

Arpazia: I get those feelings all the time where I can't believe my bf still thinks I'm beautiful. He's actually the only one who sees me without make-up (besides my immediate family). Re: Make-up my derm told me that it's no problem to wear make-up (because it makes me feel less self-conscious) on Accutane since it's so powerful nothing is going to stop it from working. She just told me to use non-acnegenic make-up (Mac products for me) and wash the brushes and sponges regularly. I've tried to leave the house without make-up I just can't bring myself to do it. Even when I had clear skin make-up was always my safety blanket. Since I've had bad skin on and off since I was 12 even when my skin is clear I think it looks bad. Funny how traumatic experiences change your whole mindset and psyche.

GO: You're such an awesome person, with such a great personality and sense of humour, you're soul mate is right around the corner. I can just feel it.

Hey guys, do you feel the love on this board lately. This is awesone, We taners do rule, don't we?

I AM SOOO FEELING THE lOVE!!

Its the christmas thing i think.. and we're all seeing the light at the end of the tunnel..

WEEEEE

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

You guys are all special and i thank you SO much.

wub.gif