Moisturising...yes ...

Notifications
Clear all

Moisturising...yes or no?

MemberMember
(@sharpshooter)

Posted : 08/22/2018 12:10 pm

I visited a dermatologist about two months ago as I've struggled with acne near enough all my life (I'm 32) and he told me I should limit using moisturiser.

I've been Epiduo for a few months and Doxycyline100mg tables and while I've been taking the tablets, I haven't been putting the Epiduo on my face every week. I try once or twice a week when I can.

I started putting the moisturiser on in the morning and not in the evening after a shower and lone behold a week later I had a breakout. I switched to Freederm's oil-free moisturiser as I get oily skin in the t-zone area and read it was best to use an oil-free moisturiser but I still get mild breakouts. I've used aloe vera gel sometimes (only sparingly) but I'm not sure if my skin reacts to that or not.

I've been trying Manuka honey as a face wash too. I was told to use just water and it worked for a while before it worn off. I bought a Cerave foaming facial cleanser which on its first use doesn't seem to dry out my skin.

Would you recommend to moisturise day and night? which moisturiser is best for a sensitive, combination skin? I get small flakes of skin usually around my mouth which is mainly where my breakouts are.

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 08/23/2018 5:52 pm

Definitely moisturize no matter what! Hydration is very important; otherwise your skin is going to compensate and produce extra oils. I use Soothe made by Rodan and Fields; it's really gentle for sensitive skin and moisturizes really good

Silavana liked
MemberMember
(@sharpshooter)

Posted : 08/24/2018 5:00 am

Thanks @klessardI shall have a look for that moisturiser. I started using the big Cerave tub moisturiser for dry skin. I use it very sparingly on areas I get flaky skin. Is there anything else you would recommend?

klessard liked
MemberMember
(@silavana)

Posted : 08/24/2018 1:08 pm

I second the advice to moisturize. You may have to try a few until you find the right one. Have you tried micellar water for cleansing? It's really gentle and won't strip your skin. Anything that dries out your skin will make it try to compensate by producing more oil.

MemberMember
(@sharpshooter)

Posted : 08/24/2018 1:17 pm

@SilavanaI do have a Bioderma micellar water in my stock of products but only used it once before I had a shower the other day. I mainly just use water to wash my face. I've started using a Cerave moisturiser at the moment (the large tub for dry skin) and just trying to put less is more (which is hard to do when I see small flakes close up)

Silavana liked
MemberMember
(@silavana)

Posted : 08/27/2018 8:46 am

it looks like you are going in the right direction. Be patient and let your skin tell you what it needs. it may take a little while for the flakes to disappear.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/27/2018 10:59 am

Hi maybe use an oil free moisturiser I am using dr obagi skincare range.

MemberMember
(@silavana)

Posted : 09/06/2018 12:33 pm

Dr Obagi has a good reputation. He's been a dermatologist for 30 years and has written books on skin care.

MemberMember
(@maximalelver)

Posted : 09/08/2018 8:57 pm

I tried Obagi but I still had some dry, flaky patches where I did my spot treatments.
I'm using Dr. Koo now and I'm super happy with the results.
(She's a plastic surgeon here in St. Louis but all her stuff is available online.)
I bought the smaller 3 product pack for Oily/Acne prone skin. If I had to, I could probably get by with just the "clarifying" cleanser and the "mild" moisturizer.
[Dr. KooClarifyingCleanser] and [Dr. Koo Boost Luxurious Moisturizer]
It's been 4 months and I'm down to just a monthly breakout that I still spot treat with salisylic cream, but the moisturizer has stopped the dry patches WITHOUT giving me new blemishes to deal with.
I wear makeup 3 or 4 days a week and I've also noticed how much easier my foundation goes on now.

MemberMember
(@kittyshine)

Posted : 10/03/2018 3:34 am

Moisturisingshould help