Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hedge

2nd course?

Hey

im 17 and am about 2 weeks into my second 7 month course of Roaccutane.

my derm mentioned something about the fact that the side effects would be much less severe as they were in the first course. He also said that after this course i would never need to take the stupid thing again but after reading many stories of third or permenant courses of roaccutane i find it hard to see how he can predict this so well.

Could someone please clarify this as it would greatly ease my mind.

thanks

It is impossible for your derm to predict that a second course of Accutane will cure you of acne forever. However he is probably basing his opinion on his personal experiences with patience. When I went on Accutane for the second time (it's now my third time) my derm said that it sometimes takes two or three courses for Accutane to fully "cure" acne. I thought that I was cured until I broke out again 5 years after my second course. If it's any consolation I've heard that a third relapse is very very rare (around 15%). Don't worry I'm just one of the very unlucky ones sad.gif

Hehe, me too, TML.

I saw a new dermatologist on Friday and he said that some people do have a second course but he believes that they forgot how bad it was to begin with. From what I have heard, the results are even better the second time around. Good luck. You're just beginning a seven month treatment so you have some time before you need to worry about it.