Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/05/2018 6:27 pm

Hi,

I recently started taking 25mgs of spironolactone. My face is dry but other than that I havent noticed any side effects. Should I continue taking this pill or should I just try to get low dose accutane? My reasoning behind this is having to take spironolactone forever to keep clear skin?? My acne is mild but it causes depression and emotional problems for me. Ive alwsys had 95% clear skin but started breaking out last year. I get a 2/3 cysts every 3-4 months.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/05/2018 6:30 pm

As someone who has done both, neither is a guarantee. I've been on accutane 3 times and i'm still struggling. I'm coming up on 3 years on Spiro and it is not working for me as well anymore. I say give spiro a shoot at a decent dosage (3-6 months). Also, it may help to get your lifestyle and diet in gear as this may make the transition off a bit easier.

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/05/2018 7:23 pm

49 minutes ago, leelowe1 said:

As someone who has done both, neither is a guarantee. I've been on accutane 3 times and i'm still struggling. I'm coming up on 3 years on Spiro and it is not working for me as well anymore. I say give spiro a shoot at a decent dosage (3-6 months). Also, it may help to get your lifestyle and diet in gear as this may make the transition off a bit easier.

My diet is pretty good and Im in good shape. Workout and have watched what I eat my entire life. One of the things Im scared about is gaining weight on spironolactone. Thats a huge no for me. Im not going to up my dosage due to the fact that my acne would classify as mild. I dont have PCOS, all blood tests have come back normal. Ive gone dairy free, acne stays the same. I breakout more during ovulation and when my period starts which is when testosterone is the highest? Thats why I figured it was due to my body being sensitive to androgens. I just dont want to be on something forever. How bad is /was your acne?

MemberMember
(@lucy35)

Posted : 08/05/2018 7:30 pm

dont take spironolactone it causes hairloss!!!!

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 08/05/2018 7:50 pm

I broke out more over ovulation. Ialso tested within normal ranges, but the ratio was off.
I avoid dairy and soy. You have to go COMPLETELY dairy and soy free for months to see results. I also discovered that anything with peanuts...yikes.
I also eat grapefruit, it assists in turning excess testosterone to estrogen.

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/05/2018 8:59 pm

1 hour ago, TheBean said:

I broke out more over ovulation. Ialso tested within normal ranges, but the ratio was off.
I avoid dairy and soy. You have to go COMPLETELY dairy and soy free for months to see results. I also discovered that anything with peanuts...yikes.
I also eat grapefruit, it assists in turning excess testosterone to estrogen.

Ive been trying to figure this hormone imbalance for a year now. Thats why Im thinking low dose accutane or just the spironolactone that Im on now. Enough is enough. Diet didnt effect my skin at all. Thats where I started first, then natural supplements. I have spent thousands on skin care. Nothing has worked. The only effect so far on spironolactone is dry skin. Like flaking off dry skin. Its only been a week.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/06/2018 9:07 am

13 hours ago, InspiredPole said:
14 hours ago, leelowe1 said:

My diet is pretty good and Im in good shape. Workout and have watched what I eat my entire life. One of the things Im scared about is gaining weight on spironolactone. Thats a huge no for me. Im not going to up my dosage due to the fact that my acne would classify as mild. I dont have PCOS, all blood tests have come back normal. Ive gone dairy free, acne stays the same. I breakout more during ovulation and when my period starts which is when testosterone is the highest? Thats why I figured it was due to my body being sensitive to androgens. I just dont want to be on something forever. How bad is /was your acne?

My acne was the beginning side of moderate when i started and now I am at the point when i have a bad breakout to be on the end side of mild (definitely more than 3-5 pimples). It's a personal decision so you need to do whats best for you. The weight gain is real unfortunately. I gained between 10 and 20 pounds and half of that i attributed to spiro, the other half was due to bad eating habits.

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/06/2018 10:35 am

1 hour ago, leelowe1 said:
My acne was the beginning side of moderate when i started and now I am at the point when i have a bad breakout to be on the end side of mild (definitely more than 3-5 pimples). It's a personal decision so you need to do whats best for you. The weight gain is real unfortunately. I gained between 10 and 20 pounds and half of that i attributed to spiro, the other half was due to bad eating habits.

Not everyone has gained weight on spironolactone. One of my friends took it for quite a while and gained nothing. Im hoping I will be one of those people too. From what Ive researched, the majority do not. Thanks for your response. Thats too bad it had that effect on you

1 hour ago, leelowe1 said:

My bad breakouts are only 3-5 pimples. Only 1/2 would be categorized as inflammatory

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 08/07/2018 8:07 am

I was pretty determined to find a solution to my acne without prescriptions. I really felt like my acne was rooted in too many chemicals, medications, food additives, etc., over many years. Not to mention the risks to my health. I felt like my acne wasn't severe enough to justify it (it may be justified for some).
The first couple attempts at diet modification didn't help. I didn't go aggressively enough or long enough. It took me 3 years to find relief. It's not the easy or quick solution, for sure.

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/07/2018 7:51 pm

11 hours ago, TheBean said:

I was pretty determined to find a solution to my acne without prescriptions. I really felt like my acne was rooted in too many chemicals, medications, food additives, etc., over many years. Not to mention the risks to my health. I felt like my acne wasn't severe enough to justify it (it may be justified for some).
The first couple attempts at diet modification didn't help. I didn't go aggressively enough or long enough. It took me 3 years to find relief. It's not the easy or quick solution, for sure.

I think people should do whatever they choose to help with their acne. It effects everyone differently and not everyone will need the same treatment. Happiness and confidence is usually the end goal. Im glad that changing your diet worked for you

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/08/2018 5:00 am

I started to get bad side effects from spriloactone extra peeing so had to come off

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/08/2018 12:01 pm

7 hours ago, Michelle waldron said:

I started to get bad side effects from spriloactone extra peeing so had to come off

Ive been on it for two weeks now. The only side effect has been dry facial skin.

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/17/2018 5:01 pm

So far everything seems the same. Not better or worse.

MemberMember
(@yasminexra)

Posted : 08/17/2018 5:38 pm

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm on month 4 of birth control without anything improving.
I have two options left: a second round of accutane (I really don't want that but I have no options) or spiro. Both have so many negative effects I just don't know anymore.

May I ask: ;why low dose of accutane? doesn't that take years. I'm curious about it since it didn't really cross my mind.

Oh and I heard that a dosage of 50 mg works better and it takes a few months before spiro kicks in, it might even get worse before better. But that's just from experiences I've heard

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/19/2018 2:37 pm

On 8/17/2018 at 4:38 PM, Yasminexra said:

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm on month 4 of birth control without anything improving.
I have two options left: a second round of accutane (I really don't want that but I have no options) or spiro. Both have so many negative effects I just don't know anymore.

May I ask: ;why low dose of accutane? doesn't that take years. I'm curious about it since it didn't really cross my mind.

Oh and I heard that a dosage of 50 mg works better and it takes a few months before spiro kicks in, it might even get worse before better. But that's just from experiences I've heard

Spironolactone is something you have to be on for an indefinite amount of time for it to work so I would rather just do the low dose accutane if it would get rid of the problem? My acne is actually quite mild but its persistence is driving me crazy and I dont want the risk of scars. Ive heard the dose of 50 for spironolactone is the most common but I wanted to try the lowest dose possible since my acne is mild. Ive read a lot of dermatologists say 25 has worked for many peopl

MemberMember
(@yasminexra)

Posted : 08/19/2018 6:37 pm

3 hours ago, InspiredPole said:
On 18-8-2018 at 12:38 AM, Yasminexra said:

Spironolactone is something you have to be on for an indefinite amount of time for it to work so I would rather just do the low dose accutane if it would get rid of the problem? My acne is actually quite mild but its persistence is driving me crazy and I dont want the risk of scars. Ive heard the dose of 50 for spironolactone is the most common but I wanted to try the lowest dose possible since my acne is mild. Ive read a lot of dermatologists say 25 has worked for many peopl

Same normally it's mild/moderate but it doesn't go away. And then there are always a few weeks where it suddenly gets severe, that's when I stay home usually (like now). Do you perhaps know how low dose accutane works? I assume it's going to take longer than 6 months to get to the cumulative dosage. Or does low dose mean that you won't reach that and just take a lower dose for the same amount of time ( 6 months).
I have an appointment in the morning so I'm trying to make a decision agh
Also I really hope spiro works for you, I would give it at least 2 /3 months or try 50 mg. Every body is different so maybe 50 mg is the lowest dose for you that will work? And if not maybe accutane can be an option

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 08/19/2018 6:53 pm

14 minutes ago, Yasminexra said:
Same normally it's mild/moderate but it doesn't go away. And then there are always a few weeks where it suddenly gets severe, that's when I stay home usually (like now). Do you perhaps know how low dose accutane works? I assume it's going to take longer than 6 months to get to the cumulative dosage. Or does low dose mean that you won't reach that and just take a lower dose for the same amount of time ( 6 months).
I have an appointment in the morning so I'm trying to make a decision agh
Also I really hope spiro works for you, I would give it at least 2 /3 months or try 50 mg. Every body is different so maybe 50 mg is the lowest dose for you that will work? And if not maybe accutane can be an option

From what I understand low dose accutane means lower dosage for a longer period of time. You can find people on here that only took 20mgs of accutane a week. Some take 20mgs 3 days a week.

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 09/04/2018 2:28 pm

Everything is pretty much the same. Upped dose to 50mgs a day. Dermatologist said no to accutane

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 09/28/2018 11:30 am

Im not sure if anyone is still following this post but. I just completed month two. Havent gained any weight. Only side effects Im starting to notice: peeing more than normal. I have not had any inflamed acne and the one or two that have developed are really small and go away fast. I think its starting to work

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/28/2018 3:16 pm

Good for u, I'm on trimethroprim and it's finally starting to work to x

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 10/02/2018 10:25 am

Sending positive vibes that your spiro journey is going well! It has changed my life in so many ways and given me confidence and freedom. 5 years later I am so thankful for discovering this solution to the challenges of PCOS. Stick with it wherever you are, if you can personally, the bright side at the end is worth it.

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 10/02/2018 4:49 pm

6 hours ago, CarpeMomentum said:

Sending positive vibes that your spiro journey is going well! It has changed my life in so many ways and given me confidence and freedom. 5 years later I am so thankful for discovering this solution to the challenges of PCOS. Stick with it wherever you are, if you can personally, the bright side at the end is worth it.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@inspiredpole)

Posted : 12/24/2018 5:29 pm

Update,

everything is pretty much the same. No negative side effects. No weight gain. Im not sure if I should keep taking it since I havent noticed a major difference???

MemberMember
(@goddess420)

Posted : 03/20/2019 7:50 pm

Im debating between spiro and second round accutane. I took spiro 2 years ago ,for four months and it didnt do anything but make my acne worse. My Dermsays to give it another try. Accutane has been the only thing that cleared me for 2 years. So confused and sad. I have scars. I hate my skin;(/

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/21/2019 2:54 pm

i would do the spiro again before accutane. it takes a long time to really work i think at least 6 months butbest thing you can do is take an antibiotic for a few months while on it then slowly wean off. spiro was a godsend forme and has worked very well. i've been on it for over 6 years. i take 100mg a day.