Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Zitro

about how terrible is it the initial flare-up...

Guest Zitro

sorry, sorry ... this is like the third thread about the same drug that I've written in a day...

I want to know about this drug fully before my friend probably takes it in the future ...

I've read that accutane usually makes your acne worse in the beginning of the regimen. But I really don't know the magnitude of that acne breakout.

My inital breakout was really bad. Weeks 2-6 or so, I had like twice as many pimples, many of them cysts. It was really discouraging, but now I'm at week 7 or so and things are looking better. I expect that it will be totally worth it. Also, my derm put me on 80mg right from the start, which is said to cause a worse intial breakout, so upping the dosage slowly might be an option if you are concerned about it. tongue.gif

Bad enough that I've taken the day off work! sad.gif It is kinda encouraging too though, cos you know it's working....I mean the pores are literally clearing themselves overnight. I figure, get it over and done with early and hopefully (emphasis on hopefully!) that will be worst it can get. Bit of a crappy time of year to have happened though. If it persists beyond this week, I'm gonna cut to 0.5mg/kg for a while. Thinking about trying an antibiotic too. Coming off longterm minocin must be a factor.

Helps having a friend who is a dermatologist. But really the bottom line from her was "it will get better...just wait".

Best of luck!

Hey... i took only 20mg per day and i guess i didnt had any major outbreak so far. After 2nd wk into the medication, i did not have any oil on my face.

Erythomycin didn't help me. It made me puke. My initial breakout happened during the sixth week of treatment. It was so bad, I didn't leave the house and skipped a day at the office (just like you, Scottish).

I am about to start Accutane again and will be taking an oral steroid to help me get through the initial breakout. I will be on a low dose of 20 mg. Please, please, please, this has to work! eusa_pray.gif

My initial breakout lasted a whole 6 weeks, very fun rolleyes.gif

I didn't leave my house except to go to work. I've just started to improve going into my 8th week. If you can get through the initial breakout you can get through anything. You have see the light at the end of the tunnel....it's better to breakout for a couple weeks than to have acne for the rest of your life. It really is a small price to pay.

Everyone's initial breakout is different. I'm going into Week 7 now and still haven't had anything I'd consider an initial breakout. My skin did get slightly worse in the first 10 days, so I guess that was it. It was nothing I couldn't handle though... I barely noticed that it was worse than usual. Just some underground pimples I had finally came to the surface (which actually made me happy that they finally did!). I spent the next 6 weeks waiting for a so-called 'breakout' but I think that was it.

I feel like I'm probably in the clear now, I haven't heard of many people getting their breakout in the 7th or 8th weeks. Let's hope!! biggrin.gif

Mae

OK...people on this board say that Accuante pushes all the bad stuff underneath your skin. So that's the initial breakout am I wrong? Ok well...I'm going to be Accutane this week (yipee) and I was wondering if I would get an initial breakout. I haven't broke out badly for about 5 months. But I do get those occasional tiny tiny whiteheads. But other than that I'm clear....with a major oil problem. What do you guys think? Will I get an initial breakout even though I haven't broken out in 5 months and the fact that I'm clear!?

~JiN

* had to edit...people were in confusion

Reading these messages I would like to alleviate some of your fears. I guess everyone is different but I would like to share my story with you. My derm told me that cystic acne is hereditary and controlling your diet has NOTHING to do with it. My Grandmother had it, my mother and then I was the lucky one out of four kids to have it passed on to me. My acne hit my back at age 14 and flared up within a year and was all over my back. Not pimples, but cystic, blood and pus filled postuales. I would wake up and my sheets had blood on them because they would break open. My face had normal pubescent acne that was a bit above average but nothing compared to my back. We went to a new derm and he looked at me and said Accutane right away or else I would never be cured. He told me all the possible side affects and I said WHATEVER, give me the pills. I was only 15 at the time (this was 1986). I was taking two pills a day. one in morning and one at night, using special soap, would go in once a week for dry ice treatments then they would use a magnifying glass and go over my back and pop the real bad ones. For the real large ones they injected steroids directly into them. I had a very minor initial flare-up. Within 6 weeks my face was totally clear. It was so drastic that people at school could not believe it. I had complete totally clear skin on my face at age 15 which is kind of funny. My blood was taken once a month to get tested and I think I was low in potassium or iron or something but I cant remember. Other than that I had a dry nose and a couple of dry patches on my arms. That was it! I experienced no other side affects. I remember the derm did an initial count on face and back of my acne. If I recall correctly my face had 45 pimples on it and my back was 230. I was on accutane for 5 months and was completely cured with no side affects. Only side affect is that I have scarring on my back (which I cant stand) but my face is still smooth. My last pimple on my face was literally 18 years ago. So to all of you people out there that are taking this drug, beleive me, it is a miracle drug. Whatever you have to do to get through it, do it. The treatment wont last forever but the affects of not doing anything will.

Nice story. Most people who took accutane many years ago just come back to try and dissuade (is that a word?) people to use it. Its good to hear someone actually come back and reccommend the drug. I have the same acne as yours, but much more on my face and a bit less on my back but still a lot. I am 12 days into accutane (30mg), hopefully ill be the same as you. Thanks for the story.

NoLimit: you shouldnt be taking accutane if all you have is oil and the last time you broke out was months ago.

wza: sorry i meant to say I haven't broke out with cysts in 5 months. From last year until this summer I broke out badly with cysts and scarring that was unbearable. But now I'm clear but I often do get whiteheads which leaves red marks which is bad. My derm wants to get rid of my breakouts or whiteheads completely and get rid of the oil. The oil problem is very bad. 2 hours after I wash my face it gets all greasy and oily and Accutane is perfect because is reduces the oil glands in our face. But I'm really concerned with the initial breakout because I don't really want to go back looking like I did 5 months ago.

Guest Craigems

I didnt get an initial flare up! smile.gif but i did have an extremely bad outbreak before i went on Accutane so i've been on prednisone and Minomycine + Accutane and its all given me clear flat skin biggrin.gif soo happy.

OK...people on this board say that Accuante pushes all the bad stuff underneath your skin.  So that's the initial breakout am I wrong?  Ok well...I'm going to be Accutane this week (yipee) and I was wondering if I would get an initial breakout.  I haven't broke out for about 5 months.  But I do get those occasional tiny tiny whiteheads.  But other than that I"m clear....just with a major oil problem.  What do you guys think?  Will I get an initial breakout even though I haven't broken out in 5 mo nths and the fact that I'm clear!?

~JiN

escrun2: ok....sorry i meant to i haven't broke out badly in 5 months. Haven't you heard of Accutane reducing oil at all? Well that's the reason I'm going to be on Accuante....I was never on it. I do get those whiteheads and they're hard to get rid of and sometimes they leave red marks. But other than THOSE things...I'm clear. I have excessively oily skin too. My derm isn't stupid you know

I find it odd that your derm is putting you on 'tane to eliminate oil. For one its such a serious drug that is supposed to be used as a last resort to acne, not oil. For two, the oil RETURNS when you're done w/the treatment - or so i've heard. Granted it probably won't be as bad as it was but it will return according to everyone i know who's been on it. And lastly because there are many other ways to regulate oil which are much safer and require little to know monitoring such as evening primrose oil, spiro, and bc pills.

man no limit, im in the same situation u are......i haven't broken out badley in a really long time, but thats only because i have been on birth control and minocyclin......and the way i know my acne is still bad, is everytime i go off birth control, my REAL acne comes back. and i also have extremely oily skin and its horrible. but i have been goin to my derm now for 2 years and he knows that my acne is extremely persistant, and we have tried just about everything, and he told me at my last appointment about 2 months ago that we would try one more thing and if that didn't work at all, that its time to go on accutane......and of course it didn't, and we have finally made the decision to go on accutane and get my acne clear for good!

anyways.....i am currently on day 7, and i am just starting to get the initial breakout......its not horrible or anything, just about 4 new zits, but i hope it doesn't get worse than this or much worse anyways!

and kevind-GREAT STORY!!! that really gives us hope! congratulations by the way, its always good to hear success stories like that!

yea Msdominatus.....i think ur right about the oil, ive heard that too. which sucks cuz i have oily skin, but yea my derm didn't put me on it for oil purposes, but it will be nice to have it gone for a while! biggrin.gif

well haven't you heard of accutane being used on mild acne too. I've been researching accutane for at least a year so don't tell if it's erious or not because I know. I've been dealing with acne since 6th grade and my acne got worse last year with cysts and scarring. Yeah I'm almost clear of breakouts but I have soo much red marks and those with dented scars. I occasionally get whiteheads (4 a week) and sometimes they leave red marks. My derms looked at me scarring and my oil problems. He just didn't give me Accutane for fun. I have social problems, I never hang out with my friends, and never look at people straight in the eye. It's been hard. He wanted to solve my acne problem for good. Complain all you want but no one should be dealing with red maks or acne. It's offending when people discourage you....because you don't know what I went through

man no limit, im in the same situation u are......i haven't broken out badley in a really long time, but thats only because i have been on birth control and minocyclin......and the way i know my acne is still bad, is everytime i go off birth control, my REAL acne comes back. and i also have extremely oily skin and its horrible. but i have been goin to my derm now for 2 years and he knows that my acne is extremely persistant, and we have tried just about everything, and he told me at my last appointment about 2 months ago that we would try one more thing and if that didn't work at all, that its time to go on accutane......and of course it didn't, and we have finally made the decision to go on accutane and get my acne clear for good!

anyways.....i am currently on day 7, and i am just starting to get the initial breakout......its not horrible or anything, just about 4 new zits, but i hope it doesn't get worse than this or much worse anyways!

and kevind-GREAT STORY!!! that really gives us hope! congratulations by the way, its always good to hear success stories like that!

My flare-up happened after a week and a half of using the drug. It was pretty bad, but I was actually happy about it because up to that point I was afraid I was taking too low of a dosage. Imagine that- my skin looked the worst it has looked in years and I was actually happy about it.

The bad flare up only lasted about a week. I have to say it was pretty disgusting looking, but it didnt cause any scarring. After that things gradually calmed down. I am a month into treatment now and my face is clear. Now its just dry and slightly red all over. Its fine with me though...no pimples. I still have a few on my back, but I have heard that they can take a little longer to go away.