Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't know how many of you read my post about what a jerk the derm was to me and he gave me benzagel. Well.. I've been using it for a week and my skin looks worse than before. It doesn't do shit! and the worst part is... my insurance considers this stuff to be no different than over the counter benzoyl peroxide gel.. so they won't pay for it. It cost me 50 bucks for a little tube of that crap. My mom thinks that the derm was doing the right thing by not wanting to start me out on an "antibiotic" first.. and she thinks my skin will be worse before it gets better. Is this true? I really think my skin was just keep improving until it looks great. I actually cried today when I washed my face. I don't have cysts or anything, but I have a million little tiny pimples all over. My skin is anything but smooth. It looked better BEFORE I went on that stuff. My mom says its because its cleaning my pores out. Do any of you agree with her? Or should I go back to the stupid derm and DEMAND he puts me on what I want? My boyfriend is taking me to an orchestra show next weekend, and I really wanted to look better by then.. but I don't think it's going to happen sad.gif please help

Guest Zitro

keep your chin up, sandra ... usually medications take over a week for them in order to see results.

There is not anything that will clear up a face in a matter of days ... patience does.

I think you should wait ... switching to other medications very often can really flare up acne and irritate your skin.

By The Way ... antibiotics (minocycline for example) combined with an acne gel/cream can be very useful together as long as you don't mind the possible annoying side effects of minocycline (like stomach pains or dizziness)

For some medications ... acne gets worse before it gets better (accutane is the only one I know(I'm not very wise in acne drugs))

Benzagel? how much benzoil peroxide has that? I used benzoil peroxide related products for a long time.

Hi, I'm Hernan ... PM me if you need anything. :-)

I don't *think* benzagel is a purging medication, so you shouldn't get worse. However, I am not 100% sure. The rule is to give a med three weeks, if you aren't better(no new eruptions) you switch meds.

What I meant by antibiotic is.. BenzaClin. My derm said that BenzaClin has an antibiotic in it and he didn't want to put me on it until he tried Benzagel. Because supposedly benzagel doesn't have an antibiotic in it. And I didn't necessarily expect to be cleared up in a week.. but I totally didn't expect to look worse! eusa_doh.gif I guess I'll give it 2 more weeks and pray that it works eusa_pray.gif But the thing is.. I can buy benzoyl peroxide that is stronger and more effective OVER THE COUNTER. .. for about.. oh say.. 45 bucks cheaper! The stuff he gave me is 5%Benzoyl peroxide. How often should I be using this, and what's a good soap to use with it?