Notifications
Clear all

Accutane; Does it work for me?

MemberMember
(@troydeloci02)

Posted : 07/23/2018 12:11 pm

I™m a 16 year old teenage boy, and I started my isotretinoin/accutane treatment 50 days ago. (1,5 months ago pretty much). I™m about 62 (187cm) and weigh around 175lbs (80kg). My derm. prescribed me a dosage of 40mg everyday. Each capsle is 20mg. So far i guess my skin has gotten somewhat cleaner, but it™s definately still irritaded and has alot of redness in both of my cheeks which makes my acne look alot worse. Still though, I™ve definitely NOT seen any sort of drastic transformation that I really hope will come eventually. I™m still breaking out, at some point it was much worse really, but I know thats normal. I believe that if it hadn™t been for the redness that covers most of my cheeks BB19102C-F17D-425C-B86E-B73D17BAB50C.thumb.jpeg.1bac5caa5357dc1d82b36ed1322a4af9.jpegmy acne wouldn™t even look that bad. Will the accutane fade the redness away or do I have to wait several years until the redness fades naturally?

Ps. When it comes to side effects I™ve experienced chapped lips, back ache and excema. I regularly use my moisturizer so my face is not dry at all. Do you think I should ask my derm. for a higher dosage?

I appreciate all the answers, I™m just an insecure teen who hope this treatment will eliminate my severe acne.

MemberMember
(@troydeloci02)

Posted : 07/28/2018 3:18 am

No reply yet? I appreciate all answers!

MemberMember
(@jstars)

Posted : 07/28/2018 4:19 am

I'm on 60mg a day and I have been for only 19 days but my acne is still there. I swear, when one spot goes, another two pop up! I have five big squeeze-me spots on my jaw and chin. I think my uncooperative hormones are winning the battle against Accutane.

MemberMember
(@troydeloci02)

Posted : 07/28/2018 8:01 am

Relax, Im sure thats perfectly normal

MemberMember
(@jstars)

Posted : 07/28/2018 8:31 am

My dermo said improvements should be noticeable within 7-10 days and I'm not seeing it. The only thing I'm seeing are some unpleasant side effects.

MemberMember
(@troydeloci02)

Posted : 07/28/2018 9:55 am

Your derm said 7-10 days? Mine told me I shouldnt expect major improvements until the 2nd or 3rd month. At the moment I think Im experiencing an initial breakout, I reallt hope it will improve soon. It went soo well the first weeks until it got so much worse. However I stay positive because I believe this is just accutane messing with you. Dont worry though!

MemberMember
(@jstars)

Posted : 07/28/2018 11:58 am

He did, yeah. But he didn't mention a breakout (even though that seems to be very common judging by comments left here and elsewhere). And I spent more time talking with the nurse on his team rather than him! I go back at the beginning of September for my second appt.

I've have acne for most of my 20's now. It's soooo disheartening.

What moisturiser do you use? I've had to give up my usual one as it stings my face now.

MemberMember
(@troydeloci02)

Posted : 07/28/2018 12:30 pm

I use this one as my derm recommended it to me. It™s a very gentle and smooth cream that does it™s job. I™m really not dry at all except from my lips whose are chapped!

(Notice effeclar H, which defines this specific moisturizer) 🙂

image.jpg

MemberMember
(@yasminexra)

Posted : 07/28/2018 12:35 pm

Don't give up. In my case (I took accutane two years ago), it took 6 months (!) before I even noticed a difference. I literally thought it didn't work on me, so don't lose hope until the last moment.
My skin was clear for a good 1.5 years, I hope you stay clear for longer tho. I was just unlucky that it wasn't a permanent solution

MemberMember
(@troydeloci02)

Posted : 07/28/2018 1:17 pm

Wow, thats amazing! Even though that was your case I really hope accutane kicks in before 6 months has gone by. The thought of going around 4 more moths with this acne is killing me.

MemberMember
(@troydeloci02)

Posted : 07/31/2018 6:31 am

Can someone with more experience please give me some info?