Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chimmyboo

Need help finding moisturizer for acne prone skin.

I've spent so much money on different  moisturizers for my acne prone skin.
i always make sure that what I pick is non comedogenic and I try to stay away from products that have too many chemicals. 
Maybe my skin is just picky but it never seems to fail that I end up breaking out more or the moisturizer does absolutely nothing for my skin. 
What have you tried that has been your favorite moisturizer? 
I would appreciate suggestions. 

First, I'm wondering how often you moisturize? For acne-prone skin, once a day may be enough. Also, washing your face too often can cause more oil production and breakouts, twice a day is enough. Apologies if this is something you already know. 

That being said, it's hard to recommend something without knowing what you have already tried. Finding the right product can be tricky. It really is a process of elimination. If you haven't tried CeraVe, I'd give it a go. I had good results with it. It doesn't clog pores and has SPF 30.

I use CeraVe as well..they have a great AM moisturizer with SPF in it and a nice PM Night time moisturizer.  I also use their foaming facial cleanser.

I use a very gentle cleanser in the morning and Derma E acne cleanser at night. 
i also moisturize in the morning and at night. 
I'll definitely look into giving CeraVe a try. 
I'm in the midst of a breakout right now and everything seems to upset my skin.

I use fresh lotus youth preserve and it doesn't break me out (?). It is a bit heavy so I use only a small amount but find it hydrates my skin while I'm using differin. It doesn't have any oils I think. Cetaphil broke me out so I'm wary of those common types of brands. 

I use the dr manuka skin treatment serum and I reckon its pretty good. however, its pretty light so I use 2drops of jojoba oil, 2 drops of teatree oil and one drop of rosehip oil to moisturize my skin after I apply the serum. I use the oil at night only (do a patch test first).  it works so well because I used to have oily af skin and its no longer oily now. 

Edited by sickofacnee

4 hours ago, Meruru said:

I use fresh lotus youth preserve and it doesn't break me out (?). It is a bit heavy so I use only a small amount but find it hydrates my skin while I'm using differin. It doesn't have any oils I think. Cetaphil broke me out so I'm wary of those common types of brands. 

I'm wary of those brands too..
I have broke out in the past from using Cetaphil so I'm not so sure on trying CeraVe. 
My sister said CeraVe and Cetaphil made her acne worse.
It seems to just be a hit or miss for a lot of people with those brands. 
4 hours ago, sickofacnee said:

I use the dr manuka skin treatment serum and I reckon its pretty good. however, its pretty light so I use 2drops of jojoba oil, 2 drops of teatree oil and one drop of rosehip oil to moisturize my skin after I apply the serum. I use the oil at night only (do a patch test first).  it works so well because I used to have oily af skin and its no longer oily now. 

I use an essential oil blend and I mix it with a bit of joboba oil or rosehip oil and i love it but my skin is so darn dry that both joboba or rosehip oil on their own just doesn't feel moisturizing enough.
I'll definitely look that serum up.
Thank you for the suggestion:)
  Edited by Chimmyboo

Maybe look into Sqaulane oil. I know the ordinary has one at a reasonable price and I have used it personally. I sometimes mix a few drops into my moisturiser. Make sure though it’s sqaulAne oil not sqaulEne.....there’s a difference. 

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to find what best suits your skin and a lot of it comes down to trial and era. If your skin is quite reactive/sensitive ......really look into products that are fragrance free. 

15 hours ago, Faroutbrusslesprout said:

Maybe look into Sqaulane oil. I know the ordinary has one at a reasonable price and I have used it personally. I sometimes mix a few drops into my moisturiser. Make sure though it’s sqaulAne oil not sqaulEne.....there’s a difference. 

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to find what best suits your skin and a lot of it comes down to trial and era. If your skin is quite reactive/sensitive ......really look into products that are fragrance free. 

I will definitely look into that. Thank you:)

Definitely read ingredients to make sure there isn't any fragrance in the product. Also, there is a New product from Neutrogena, "Acne Proofing gel cleanser", over the counter in local retail stores.  It has been working for my 14 yr old daughter's oily acne prone skin and it isn't drying to her skin. We both love it.  She's been using it for about 6 months. Also, there is a company called SERIOUS SKINCARE. Their GLYCOLIC LINE is PHENOMENAL for acne prone skin and oily skin. You can purchase from the line on HSN- Home Shopping Network. They also have an ACNE LINE, too. We use both products. Hope these help you.

12 hours ago, Lynn18 said:

Definitely read ingredients to make sure there isn't any fragrance in the product. Also, there is a New product from Neutrogena, "Acne Proofing gel cleanser", over the counter in local retail stores.  It has been working for my 14 yr old daughter's oily acne prone skin and it isn't drying to her skin. We both love it.  She's been using it for about 6 months. Also, there is a company called SERIOUS SKINCARE. Their GLYCOLIC LINE is PHENOMENAL for acne prone skin and oily skin. You can purchase from the line on HSN- Home Shopping Network. They also have an ACNE LINE, too. We use both products. Hope these help you.

Thank you for the suggestions.. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Chimmyboo